You are in a forest in Second Life. Would you rather run into a someone in a man avatar or a bear avatar?

Posted (edited)

It's like the "glass empty, or glass half-full" question. The answer to which is, "the glass is refillable".

If the bear eats you but he's not really hungry because he's only half-full, he's re-fillable.

Whereas, the man is already "full of it".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would depend whether there was a man or women wearing the bear suit.  There are no real bears in SL. I would not trust a woman in a bear suit, because she would probably be underage, and setting a bear trap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/7/2024 at 11:18 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I would rather run into a bear avatar because I don't see those too often. I don't think I've ever seen a bear avatar to be honest.

Not even a "teddy bear"?

Posted (edited)

True story: I have a phobia of 'teddy bears'. Almost as bad as clowns. Seriously, no idea why but I couldn't stand them as a little child and still have a thing about them. The sight of one makes me feel uncomfortable. It's nothing a flame thrower can't solve (well let's face it, there isn't much a flame thrower can't solve).

Real bears... not a problem. To nearly answer the OP's question, a bear but only if it was an animesh bear, not one with a human driving it. Being autistic... if I'm in the forest in SL or RL it's to get away from you lot. It always was and why I used to sneak out of the house when I was 8-9yo at midnight to explore the forests near our home in peace.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is the topic a metaphor for misogyny, or misandry?

Neither.

This isn't Evil Women vs Poor Men as some asshats have suggested.

It's Humans vs potential serial killers.

Statistically, the FBI conducts more MAN-hunts for serial killers than BEAR-hunts, or WOMAN-hunts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is the topic a metaphor for misogyny, or misandry?

Not that I believe you are that ignorant of this, but look up the original viral video and topic, and the objective will be clear.

Just another thing, knowingly or not, to cause division between the sexes. If women truly instigated this (most likely a feminist), it's not doing them any favours. It's causing a widening gap between women and men with these kinds of things and it's not healthy for our society - and could have further implications for those men who decide to check out of their normal relationships with women, their protective and guardian-like nature, and their investment in the society as a whole.

It also doesn't belong on these forums, as it is not related to SL and stating '... in SL' is the typical skirting of the rules that some do here - while promoting some political or social agenda.

For those who like to understand this topic, simply look up 'Bear Vs Man In The Woods' and watch the source, and all the discussions about it, then come back and tell me if it's suitable to have it here, or if the original video is helping mankind or not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Neither.

This isn't Evil Women vs Poor Men as some asshats have suggested.

It's Humans vs potential serial killers.

Statistically, the FBI conducts more MAN-hunts for serial killers than BEAR-hunts, or WOMAN-hunts.

Statistically, there are more shark attacks in the ocean than in bathtubs.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Technically, isn't any small, open boat in the ocean about the same idea as a bathtub?

Not if you're measuring shark attacks.

Also, the chance of bear attacks in the ocean isn't zero, but the statistics don't specify the water depth.

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

Not if you're measuring shark attacks.

Also, the chance of bear attacks in the ocean isn't zero, but the statistics don't specify the water depth.

A shark can more easily jump into a bathtub, or capsize it, then he could a proper boat (even if the boat was functionally the same as a bathtub).  So, shark attacks IN bathtubs should be more common than shark attacks in boats.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, shark attacks IN bathtubs should be more common than shark attacks in boats.

Sharks don't have an easy way to travel to the bathtubs, but shark attacks in bathtubs have happened, it turns out.

4 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Sharks don't have an easy way to travel to the bathtubs, but shark attacks in bathtubs have happened, it turns out.

Well, I assumed but left out, that the bathtubs are in the ocean with the sharks.  Not that the sharks are leaping out of the ocean into someone's bathtub "on land".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Act III of Shakespeare's The Winter Tale famously ends with the stage direction "Exit, Pursued by a bear."

Which must have been pretty hilarious to watch on a 17th-century stage.

The character who is pursued (and killed, and maybe even eaten!) is however a male, Antigonus.

He should have chosen "man" I guess?

I love that stage direction lol. The image I immediately get in my head, OMG. I also love a lot about that play, but the misogyny of the first acts is traumatic.

On Shakespeare's stages, even the women were male. So . . . yeah!

Yeah the really twisty thing was when they had a man (usually a boy?) playing a woman pretending to be a man. So queer. Twelfth Night is one of my have Shakespeare plays because right up until the end I get to imagine that it is a queer romance and Viola and Olivia will get together in the end, with Viola as lesbian/trans/nonbinary. Alas alack, cishet all the way, though if it had to be heteronormative I at did love the final pairings.

2 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Yeah the really twisty thing was when they had a man (usually a boy?) playing a woman pretending to be a man. So queer. Twelfth Night is one of my have Shakespeare plays because right up until the end I get to imagine that it is a queer romance and Viola and Olivia will get together in the end, with Viola as lesbian/trans/nonbinary. Alas alack, cishet all the way, though if it had to be heteronormative I at did love the final pairings.

It was common in those times to have males playing women, also in the military, at sea, etc for different reasons.

as for the other 'accusation':

How does Shakespeare explore misogyny in King Lear and The Winter's Tale?

Quick answer:

Shakespeare explores misogyny in both King Lear and The Winter's Tale by putting stereotypes about women's sexuality and dishonesty in the mouths of powerful male characters who are losing their sense of reality. In his madness, Lear says that women's sexuality is demonic. Leontes, who has become distraught because he suspects his wife of cheating on him, dismisses all women as inherently dishonest. In both cases, the monarch's altered mental state leads him to embrace negative stereotypes about women.

9 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Allegedly...

"where are we going to find a guy who looks good in a dress?"

"What about him there?"

"That's a woman you dolt"

"Yeah but she looks mannish, is clean shaven and we save on the cost of the padded bra."

"Good point, hey you what's your mane?"

"Roberta"

"Welcome to the Globe, BOB, see wardrobe for your stage dress, and get some real clothes to wear off stage"

"But this dress is my rea..."

"BOB, I said get some real clothes for off stage, from Wardrobe. ok?"

Shades of Shakespeare in Love lol. Which had Judi Dench!! And one of the funniest exchanges I ever heard, about Marlowe getting killed; not him getting killed, but a seriously theatre-minded character assuming he got killed over 'the billing' instead of 'the bill,' lol

HEY!

Someone should do a movie. With, I dunno, Gwyneth Paltr . . .

On second thoughts, maybe not . . .

Loved the movie, cannot stand Gwyneth Paltrow, though I do love her first name.

4 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

HEY!

Someone should do a movie. With, I dunno, Gwyneth Paltr . . .

On second thoughts, maybe not . . .

Loved the movie, cannot stand Gwyneth Paltrow, though I do love her first name.

Which movie are you all referring to in these posts? 🙂