Advice for Sofa/Bench

Whystler

Hello!

Do most people feel that a piece of furniture that is used for sitting should come with sitting animations?  Or is it seen as generally valid to add a chair or sofa to the marketplace without them and assume customers will be happy to add their own?

I'd want a great looking piece of furniture with the animations - and the ability to adjust / change / add / remove them to my heart's content. And for this, the furniture needs to me modifiable.

My opinion is that most customers in SL do not know how to do this... I could be wrong!

• Like 4

99.9% percent will be expecting animations with it.

The only furniture on the MP that comes without animations I have ever seen are sold full permissions to builders to add animations to then sell to people.

• Like 4

I agree with So Whimsy. Most people expect chairs, benches, sofas, beds and such to have the appropriate sitting or lying animations in them already. There are some that are readily available, I assume, since the same ones are in most inexpensive furniture. Tables, cabinets and shelves, on the other hand aren't expected to have animations.

You should clearly state in your ad whether the piece has animations, how many single user animations, how many couples animations, and how many Adult animations (if they have any).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for a very concrete answer :)  So I will endeavour to ensure there are sitting animation available.

What would you suggest is the easiest way for me, as a mesher, to do this?  Is there a product you would recommend that will allow me to add it to my for-sale items?  I think I have seen some, but recommendations are always good.

Very kind of you all to answer - thanks again!

Edited by Whystler
missed a word

I personally use AvSitter to add animations to furniture as it's easy and widely used. It's also gone open source last I heard. 

Also it's always better to invest in high quality animations. There's nothing worse than an awesome couch with crappy/freebie animations.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Great!  Looking for this is a little confusing.  The prices range from 999 to 2999 and not always the same vendor.  I see that in one of them it talks about buying the "official" version and then the proceeds will go directly to developing the project.  But I can't be sure if this is the official version.  If you, or anyone, can recommend a link in the Marketplace, that would help me make sure the money goes to the right place.

❤️  thanks again for your help

Edited by Whystler

20 minutes ago, Whystler said:

snip

This is the official one: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AVSITTER2-REVOLUTIONARY-Multi-Pose-System/2277498

Also from the product page: 

► VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE

AVsitter and plugins were made open-source on 31 July 2017 and can be freely obtained from the project's GitHub repository (https://avsitter.github.io).

• Like 1

Yes, there is furniture sold without animations for end-line users (or at least it used to be), but that is only decor, I'm not really sure what  is the idea behind that. In whatever shape and form you get your animations, you would have to know at least the basics of AvSitter. There are builder's editions of animation engines on the market, but they will almost always require some basic AvSitter skills. Take Whimsy's advice and get your self official AvSitter scripts.

• Like 2