Art gallery script needed for paintings to change texture ... MOVED to Employment

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You will probably get some generic responses here, but your best answers are most likely to come from off-line conversations with specific scripters.  That's why it's usually best to post a short query in the InWorld Employment forum -- enough information to attract a potential scripter -- and then have a longer version on a notecard or something else that you can share directly when you get a nibble. 

My own generic response is that this isn't a particularly difficult thing to script. It's simply a matter of modifying the money event in your current vendor script to trigger a texture change and send you a message when a painting is sold, and then disable further clicks until you have manually reset the script.

36 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You will probably get some generic responses here, but your best answers are most likely to come from off-line conversations with specific scripters.  That's why it's usually best to post a short query in the InWorld Employment forum -- enough information to attract a potential scripter -- and then have a longer version on a notecard or something else that you can share directly when you get a nibble. 

My own generic response is that this isn't a particularly difficult thing to script. It's simply a matter of modifying the money event in your current vendor script to trigger a texture change and send you a message when a painting is sold, and then disable further clicks until you have manually reset the script.

Thanks I'll repost in the employment wanted.

• Katherine Heartsong changed the title to Art gallery script needed for paintings to change texture ... MOVED to Employment
8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

this isn't a particularly difficult thing to script. It's simply a matter of modifying the money event in your current vendor script to trigger a texture change

The hard part that you might have glossed over is that she wants the in-world item to respond to a transaction happening on the marketplace.

Off the top of my head, I think the most practical way to get that to happen would be to forward marketplace emails to an in-world 'controller' object that could then send a message to the specific painting that had been sold. That could get mildly complicated, (and would differ a bit depending on whether a personal email forwards only relevant messages, or if the in-world script is set to receive all marketplace messages) but certainly not impossible.

The problem is making the marketplace take down a listing that has been bought in-world. I think it might be possible to have a 'bot' agent delete an item from their marketplace folder, thereby removing the listing, but if that doesn't work, making the script interact with the MP in any way would be very difficult if not impossible.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

The hard part that you might have glossed over is that she wants the in-world item to respond to a transaction happening on the marketplace.

You're right. I was thinking only of in world sales. I doubt that there's a simple way for an in-world vendor to tell MP to remove an active listing.  The reverse, as you said, should be fairly straightforward but I suspect that MP has bookkeeping protocols that would prevent anyone but an account owner from taking down an active listing and make it difficult (or impossible) to do by script.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

You're right. I was thinking only of in world sales. I doubt that there's a simple way for an in-world vendor to tell MP to remove an active listing.  The reverse, as you said, should be fairly straightforward but I suspect that MP has bookkeeping protocols that would prevent anyone but an account owner from taking down an active listing and make it difficult (or impossible) to do by script.

It would probably require its own API, and people would be trying to break and exploit it, so I don't think LL'd want to go there, really.

It would be really neato to have some cross-platform compatibility there, though.

8 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Marketplace already has an API to get, create, modify, and delete listings for 10 years.

Perhaps I missed it in a quick skim, but the API seems to only be intended for the viewer to interact with, not a LSL script; It's unclear how the protocol validates that the requester is in-fact the merchant in control of the listing. Someone with intimate knowledge of the viewer could probably figure it out, but it doesn't seem like an intended use-case.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

here must be some way to figure out who has purchased an item on MP too, because that's something CasperVend does

You configure your marketplace store with an ANS callback URL. That means you'd have to have some kind of a static server, couldn't just slap it in an inworld script and their ephemeral URLs.

• Like 1

The marketplace also uses an Automatic Notifications System  Direct Delivery and Automatic Notification System to forward out sales data to downstream systems for auditing and recording.  It was used by magic boxes and then leveraged by Casper later.  I had to set it up specifically so that Casper could get my MP sales data and as far as I can figure, it's a one way street though.  While not useful for updating MP listing for sales made in world, it might allow for MP sales to update display vendors in world.  Maybe.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.