why is the Linden Viewer using bandwidth when it is not being used?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I believe those numbers are totals from the last 30 days, so if the viewer was used at any point, it would show up there. If it's showing up when it hasn't been used at all for over a month, or if its number is rising while not in use, then it would warrant investigation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"why is the Linden Viewer using bandwidth when it is not being used?"

..Trick question, right?

Nope. I HAD used it in my testing of PBR.  I just didn't understand what those numbers meant.  So MUCH smarter now!  

Meanwhile has anyone used a hotspot (yes I know that is not a direct connection) successfully with SL.  I did on my notebook (not all that fancy) to pay my rent when the power was out but it was hard going. My desktop isn't connected to wi-fi.   Just wondering.  

My ISP which USED to be top notch for decades is NOT doing well on so many levels including price.  THEY know it too but I don't foresee any great changes so wondering.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kathrine Jansma said:

Not sure how Windows does the actual accounting

Could this be the Vivox Voice stuff thats used in both Firefox & Linden Viewer thats getting accounted for the wrong program?

Just for the record since I think Niangao solved it, I don't use voice. It isn't even turned ON in FS (maybe it always is in the Linden viewer -- I forget). 

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Meanwhile has anyone used a hotspot (yes I know that is not a direct connection) successfully with SL.

I have, and with surprisingly good results. The same circumstances required the attempt; a lengthy power cut. I didn't make any attempt to measure or record connection speeds but SL ran very well, with no change of settings in my viewer (FS). This was using my mobile phone (cell phone) as a hotspot and utilising the UK's 4G data facility.

• Thanks 2

All good to know and I will keep that in mind as a backup if and when fiber goes out again (for five days ). It isn't really an everyday answer for me as my video streaming is a LOT so I would have to cut back on SL AND stop watching TV and movies. So that isn't a good option. But definitely smarter now and some of my friends also :D

Thanks all. 

13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Meanwhile has anyone used a hotspot (yes I know that is not a direct connection) successfully with SL.  I did on my notebook (not all that fancy) to pay my rent when the power was out but it was hard going. My desktop isn't connected to wi-fi.   Just wondering.  

Yes - I have had problems in the past running SL over a tethered 4/5G connection, but just right now it seems to be working perfectly (assuming a strong signal).

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 7:23 PM, Chic Aeon said:

I have used a specific hotspot (like, my cellphone) before many years ago but for three years I used SL over a 4G internet connection, it was through a 4G modem with an external antenna on my roof though. I would access this over WiFi. This was no different to a hotspot connection really, it was just a permanent installation and the antenna did make for a very consistent strong signal but if you're in an area of good coverage a cellphone might be able to get the same signal strength and speed.

It worked fine. People that say you *need* direct connection via ethernet are stuck in 2003, SL works absolutely fine with WiFi and even wireless internet so long as everything is working as it should.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.