Neighbor encroachment outside of their parcel.. Advice?

Maxximumwolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My neighbors have taken to rezzing many large offsim objects that extend onto the void recently (we are on a sim edge of two different sims with a void space between us that is at the world border). I own a quarter of the sim and these folks have 1/16th of the adjacent sim, but the offsim objects are about doubling their used space and blocking half of my ocean view by extending significantly outside of their bounds into the world border. They've been unresponsive when I've reached out to them, after they said that it is allowed because it doesn't extend into a player's parcel. I'd rather not just sell the land and move if I don't have to, I'd definitely not get back what I spent when the formerly "unblockable" view has been taken out of the equation, and I'd hate to give in if it is their intention to try to goad me into dumping the parcel at a significant loss for them to grab for a steal. I've considered reporting it, but I'm unsure as to whether or not it is actually against the rules to encroach into another sim if said sim doesn't exist. Any thoughts?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Maxximumwolf said:

My neighbors have taken to rezzing many large offsim objects that extend onto the void recently (we are on a sim edge of two different sims with a void space between us that is at the world border). I own a quarter of the sim and these folks have 1/16th of the adjacent sim, but the offsim objects are about doubling their used space and blocking half of my ocean view by extending significantly outside of their bounds into the world border. They've been unresponsive when I've reached out to them, after they said that it is allowed because it doesn't extend into a player's parcel. I'd rather not just sell the land and move if I don't have to, I'd definitely not get back what I spent when the formerly "unblockable" view has been taken out of the equation, and I'd hate to give in if it is their intention to try to goad me into dumping the parcel at a significant loss for them to grab for a steal. I've considered reporting it, but I'm unsure as to whether or not it is actually against the rules to encroach into another sim if said sim doesn't exist. Any thoughts?

I am not 100% sure, but those off-sim objects should not be allowed. They affect the parcel owner's prim count due to the root prim being inside their land, but it's still extending outside their parcel, which should not be tolerated and could be considered encroachment in my opinion. They are using an area that does not belong to them and cluttering your view. The void should have nothing in it. Anything that is outside their parcel simply should not be, as they are not paying for that. If you have tried to contact those neighbors and got no response, I recommend reporting the offending off-sim objects and derendering them, as @Kylie Jaxxon suggested. That way they won't ruin your view any longer while you wait for LL to make a decision regarding this issue.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

I am not 100% sure, but those off-sim objects should not be allowed. They affect the parcel owner's prim count due to the root prim being inside their land, but it's still extending outside their parcel, which should not be tolerated and could be considered encroachment in my opinion. They are using an area that does not belong to them and cluttering your view. The void should have nothing in it. Anything that is outside their parcel simply should not be, as they are not paying for that. If you have tried to contact those neighbors and got no response, I recommend reporting the offending off-sim objects and derendering them, as @Kylie Jaxxon suggested. That way they won't ruin your view any longer while you wait for LL to make a decision regarding this issue.

Its really not encroaching on anyone, its extending into the void. If it encroaches onto the theoretical extension of the OP's property line into the void, I can see a reason to complain, but I doubt LL will do anything. I used to have an off sim island i danced on, but I kept it inside the extended property lines. Better to just retaliate in kind. Sooner or later they probably will go away anyway.

Retaliation doesn't fix anything, except maybe make you feel better. 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line

8 hours ago, Maxximumwolf said:

(we are on a sim edge of two different sims with a void space between us that is at the world border). I own a quarter of the sim and these folks have 1/16th of the adjacent sim, but the offsim objects are about doubling their used space and blocking half of my ocean view

This geometry is confusing. If there's void space between you, they're not adjacent sims, right? But if the sims were really separated by void space, I don't think this problem would arise, so I guess that void isn't so much between you as simply the void beyond the world border along both region's edge. Anyway, a couple thoughts:

Are you really sure you'd rather have the view of that not-quite-Linden-water that gets used for the beyond-world void? Have you had a good look at it in a PBR viewer yet? I'm thinking the neighbor may be doing you a big favor, depending just how awful their offsim objects are.

You could try to "improve" their offsim scenery with your own. I wouldn't think of it as retaliation so much as a genuine attempt to augment whatever they're doing. It will cost you  some Land Impact, though.

Offsim is tricky. That void is really not a valuable view of the ocean, but it's not an eyesore either. It's possible to genuinely enhance the void—especially at high altitude where it's otherwise just blank pixels, but at ground level it kinda needs to be done cooperatively or there will be this kind of friction.

You can report it, but might want to first consider being careful what you wish for.

• Like 2

My experience having done a few ARs is that Governance will take no action to prohibit reasonable offsim builds, so unless the build is objectionable for other reasons, that route would not give you relief.

The only case where I have observed Governance prohibiting an off parcel build on protected water (on sim)  is when the build appears to claim the water for private use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.