Orange ball

beli Lorefield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 62 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure where this goes.. but I'm guessing it's a scripting issue? seller is not responding to Nc's my guess. There's an orange ball that popped up about a week after this was brought, and nothing I've done makes it go away (resetting scripts) etc It was fine for the 1st day or two.  Or something's not compatible? It's driving me bonkers. It happens on both FS and SL Viewer.

picture4_002.jpg

Edited by beli Lorefield

It may be a scripting "issue" but not one that anyone but the creator would be able to guess at. If you can't get the creator's attention -- being patient, because people sometimes don't check messages very often and may be dealing with their own RL concerns -- you might try getting a redelivery.  And hope that the new one works better.  Otherwise, you may just have to live with it.

• Like 1

I'm assuming this is for a rigged worn item but don't know what since you didn't specify.

With that base assumption though, did you change the attach point?  that can cause some root anchor (not mesh) prims to move around unexpectedly and suddenly appear where once they were tucked away inside the body space.

16 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It may be a scripting "issue" but not one that anyone but the creator would be able to guess at. If you can't get the creator's attention -- being patient, because people sometimes don't check messages very often and may be dealing with their own RL concerns -- you might try getting a redelivery.  And hope that the new one works better.  Otherwise, you may just have to live with it.

I sent them a nc several weeks ago.... I can try sending them another. But you maybe right. 

3 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Stupid question but since it hasn't been mentioned have you tried hiding it with the build tools?

Okay how do I do that?  When I right-click on it to edit it.. the whole item gets selected not just the orange ball. 

4 hours ago, Anna Salyx said:

I'm assuming this is for a rigged worn item but don't know what since you didn't specify.

With that base assumption though, did you change the attach point?  that can cause some root anchor (not mesh) prims to move around unexpectedly and suddenly appear where once they were tucked away inside the body space.

Haven't tried changing the access point yet.. will try that later today at somepoint.  And yes it's a rigged item.. Nope did not change the attach point.  

Did a re-delivery of it and will see if that clears it but you can see a "ball" there when you right click on it to edit it.

image.thumb.png.2a3ab1c718bf3e5b3ad9f714256d5744.png

Edited by beli Lorefield

24 minutes ago, beli Lorefield said:

When I right-click on it to edit it.. the whole item gets selected not just the orange ball. 

In the top section of the build tool, left column, there's an "Edit Linked" checkbox. Click that to get started, then to navigate through the individual links you can use Control-, and Control-. (that's comma and period characters) which is often easier than trying to click the individual links themselves.

(It's also often easier to start editing attachments by choosing them in Inventory and selecting Edit from the mouse-right menu, rather than trying to select them on the avatar, but maybe that's widely known?)

Edited by Qie Niangao
"Edit LINKED" not "Edit Selected" duh

27 minutes ago, beli Lorefield said:

you can see a "ball" there when you right click on it to edit it.

Oh, you sure can! And it's surrounded by yellow, so it's the root prim of the linkset. And it's not orange when selected which probably means something but I don't know what. I'm almost tempted to think it could be orange because of something the viewer is doing to highlight it but I don't see beacons enabled on the screenshot. Still, could be some mystical Firestorm trick, so I wonder if other people see it or if it could be something local to your viewer.

Maybe there are clues in the Contents of that link. Being the root prim of a collar it could be scripted to do lots of things, like act as a particle target or sound emitter or touch handler or anything.

If I had to guess, perhaps there's some sort of naive show/hide system in the collar that (on some condition) turns everything in the linkset visible. The solution in that case would be to set the texture of the ball to the 100% transparent texture.

4 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

If I had to guess, perhaps there's some sort of naive show/hide system in the collar that (on some condition) turns everything in the linkset visible. The solution in that case would be to set the texture of the ball to the 100% transparent texture.

That's my guess as well.  How can I do that when there are multiple textures?  And yes there is a show/hide system in the collar.  

Texture.png

1 minute ago, beli Lorefield said:

How can I do that when there are multiple textures?

Check the box next to 'edit linked' and the radio button next to 'select face. Then, click the left or right arrows that are directly underneath the checkbox for 'edit linked' until only the part you want to modify has the highlight effect around it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Check the box next to 'edit linked' and the radio button next to 'select face. Then, click the left or right arrows that are directly underneath the checkbox for 'edit linked' until only the part you want to modify has the highlight effect around it.

and yup got it to "hide" using that and yes it is the "show/hide" button that is causing it.. when I click on it again it pops back up 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2024 at 4:30 AM, beli Lorefield said:

and yup got it to "hide" using that and yes it is the "show/hide" button that is causing it.. when I click on it again it pops back up 

If the object is mod, as in, you can add a script to it, you can probably add a script that will try to set the transparency of that link to 100% every second.

It seems the orange ball is the root prim? If so that would be Link #1.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 62 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.