Ethical Land Dealers

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Mmm hmm...

In RL, reporting bad behaviour and crime helps deter it. If the report is wrong or malicious, other reports can correct them and in a court of law, prosecute them.

People don't like their bad behaviour and harassment speech reported because then they look bad. But that's a deterrent and helps the entire society develop norms of good behaviour.

In SL, we don't have that, and griefing and harassment escalate, and many people get away with their crimes, misdemeanors, and lies  because there is no way to set the record straight within the world. There is no free speech or independent media and on the forums, you cannot name names.

People hate, for example, having an apt one-word description of their bad behaviour on the forums said externally so much that for ever more, they are likely to wildly exaggerate any statements about them and call this process of normality "unethical." It's amazing!

People take for granted these checks and balances in RL so it's astounding  that they pretend they aren't needed in SL or denounce them in SL. 

Now why do you think that is?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

People take for granted these checks and balances in RL so it's astounding  that they pretend they aren't needed in SL or denounce them in SL. 

..because they benefit from the additional "freedoms" in Second Life (at a theoretical cost to others' enjoyment, etc.) and don't want the possibility of those benefits taken away..?

18 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

the land I just abandoned because I didn't manage to find anyone I know online (I hate selling land these days as it gets chopped; I hate abandoning it, too, because the Lindens sell it to choppers.) I was happy to finish cutting yet another 1/4 sim as I have been doing for months so that I am not feeding the Lindens' ad farm training range.

See in Zindra, where most of my rentals are located, abandoning ANY AMOUNT of land, even 16m2, could  result in it being auctioned off promptly.

You could also sell any unwanted land in seconds if you priced it below about 4L/m2. The avatar that purchased it likely would have a completely blank profile and do so sight unseen, and within a day or so one of three big, well-known land companies would be offering it "for sale or rent". They'd not likely have any kind of advertising there, just a rentbox and maybe hedges/trees.

You'd probably have a new neighbor soon either way.

Edited by Diablo Lioncourt
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

See in Zindra, where most of my rentals are located, abandoning ANY AMOUNT of land, even 16m2, could  result in it being auctioned off promptly.

You could also sell any unwanted land in seconds if you priced it below about 4L/m2. The avatar that purchased it likely would have a completely blank profile and do so sight unseen, and within a day or so one of three big, well-known land companies would be offering it "for sale or rent". They'd not likely have any kind of advertising there, just a rentbox and maybe hedges/trees.

They will also sell direct to you if you own land on the sim.

There in never any reason to abandon on Zindra. It's a hot market and will be for as long as LL is determined to throttle the supply.

Imagine, the entire continent is 100% owned, and yet LL refuses to add more sims, preferring to endlessly add sims to the abomination known as Belli

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

In RL, reporting bad behaviour and crime helps deter it. If the report is wrong or malicious, other reports can correct them and in a court of law, prosecute them.

People don't like their bad behaviour and harassment speech reported because then they look bad. But that's a deterrent and helps the entire society develop norms of good behaviour.

In SL, we don't have that, and griefing and harassment escalate, and many people get away with their crimes, misdemeanors, and lies  because there is no way to set the record straight within the world. There is no free speech or independent media and on the forums, you cannot name names.

People hate, for example, having an apt one-word description of their bad behaviour on the forums said externally so much that for ever more, they are likely to wildly exaggerate any statements about them and call this process of normality "unethical." It's amazing!

Too bad they can't have Two Minutes of Hate like they do in RL.

😂

On 12/19/2023 at 7:25 PM, Diablo Lioncourt said:

1. The Lindens do not auction 16m parcels on their auction.

2. It's simply not true that "anything below 4L will sell in seconds". Good land might. Bad land might not.

All you have to do to disprove these theses is a) open the auctions and watch them all month or ask the Lindens and b) fly around Zindra for even 10 minutes but longer will provide more coverage.

Most people have a keyhole view of SL based on their immediate impressions from what is happening on their little piece of the grid.

On 12/20/2023 at 4:13 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

They will also sell direct to you if you own land on the sim.

There in never any reason to abandon on Zindra. It's a hot market and will be for as long as LL is determined to throttle the supply.

Imagine, the entire continent is 100% owned, and yet LL refuses to add more sims, preferring to endlessly add sims to the abomination known as Belli

So you say.

0e00bb5f1342ee88d6115052375e9784.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So you say.

I thought the same thing when I saw the "Something Spicy… mystery initiative": Whatever this is, it will fulfill Patch's promise to complete the southeast corner of Zindra using a new theme.

Now I wonder if they'll still set it up for parcel sales like the rest of Zindra or create the Belli-style Adult space that keeps getting requested. It's a bit of a gamble that the demand is really there, but it might actually reduce the current over-demand for buy-and-sell Zindra ownership more effectively than just dumping more standard Zindra supply with merely revamped visuals.

Either way, Zindra land is destined to be a buyer's market.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

1. The Lindens do not auction 16m parcels on their auction.

2. It's simply not true that "anything below 4L will sell in seconds". Good land might. Bad land might not...

Most people have a keyhole view of SL based on their immediate impressions from what is happening on their little piece of the grid.

That last part is true. Welcome to SL:)

1. They have in Kama City

2. Have you ever even been to Zindra? Of course the instant buy price can fluctuate a bit. Maybe its 3.5 one week, 4.5 the next. It's not 1.1 or anything close like where you hold land - you didn't just block out that word "Zindra" in your eagerness to project your own experiences onto everything, did you?

OK boomer.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

That last part is true. Welcome to SL:)

1. They have in Kama City

2. Have you ever even been to Zindra? Of course the instant buy price can fluctuate a bit. Maybe its 3.5 one week, 4.5 the next. It's not 1.1 or anything close like where you hold land - you didn't just block out that word "Zindra" in your eagerness to project your own experiences onto everything, did you?

OK boomer.

1. If they are auctioning 16m in Kama City, I have yet to see an auction link for that, and it would be the exception to the rule.

2. Boy, have I ever been to Zindra! LOL.

3. I see you are already backing down from your original claim. Happens. No, I don't block anything. I keep G, M, A on and suffer a little bit of eyeball chloroxing now and then after the awful sights but yeah, to be in business you have to.

4. I've seen abandoned land in Zindra. Sit there. For days.

I've seen land at $1 and $2 sit there that I have bought and flipped.

5. I am not a Boomer, as Eisenhower was my first president. I'm actually in the cohort known as "Generation Jones."

Happy to be alive!

I am the man, I suffered, I was there.

Agonies are one of my changes of garments,

I do not ask the wounded person how he feels, I myself become the wounded person,

My hurts turn livid upon me as I lean on a cane and observe.

I am the mashed fireman with breast-bone broken,

Tumbling walls buried me in their debris,

Heat and smoke I inspired, I heard the yelling shouts of my comrades,

I heard the distant click of their picks and shovels;

They have cleared the beams away, they tenderly lift me forth.

13 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I thought the same thing when I saw the "Something Spicy… mystery initiative": Whatever this is, it will fulfill Patch's promise to complete the southeast corner of Zindra using a new theme.

Now I wonder if they'll still set it up for parcel sales like the rest of Zindra or create the Belli-style Adult space that keeps getting requested. It's a bit of a gamble that the demand is really there, but it might actually reduce the current over-demand for buy-and-sell Zindra ownership more effectively than just dumping more standard Zindra supply with merely revamped visuals.

Either way, Zindra land is destined to be a buyer's market.

Perhaps they'll make it "clubs only' to try to siphon off the avatars filling up and lagging residential sims in little clubs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Perhaps they'll make it "clubs only' to try to siphon off the avatars filling up and lagging residential sims in little clubs. 

"Residential sims" according to who?

The mainland regions this type of comment is directed at are almost never zoned "residential", and the people making this type of claim typically lack standing to determine zoning of said places.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Good idea, lets banish all the laggy little clubs to a club-specific region 🤣

61hAdEmqB8L._AC_UL600_SR600600_.jpg.3c0424425e20f7a971637b877aed4c12.jpg

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

LOL i can just see 16 clubs on one sim 😂

It'd be a competition of who can fill the region up faster! LOL

Edited by Clem Marques

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.