The Potential Misleading 5 Star Trick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That makes you du..I mean smart! It's not a scam!

To be honest, the place that I bought something from didn't have those stars.. But I had to look at other stuff while looking for those damn stars.. 

It wasn't a matter of if, but when I would buy something..

It's a TRAP! \o/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But seriously, "dumb" people aside (who am I to judge?)..

Nobody expects "old people" or "really young" people to know about internet scams. 

The internet, like everything else, requires an "education".  I work for a Fortune 100 IT company - and they send us education all the time about different internet "scams" (required learning!).  A company with "stars in its name" isn't one of the things they need to educate us on, apparently.

I feel like this is another case where someone sees a thing they don't like, and label it a "scam".  (Which actually feels "dumb", but there I go being all judgey. Again.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

If one makes a purchase purely based on those yellow stars in front of a name assuming it means it's a 5 star product without actually reading the reviews well...I have some swamp land in Florida I'd like to sell you.

Disney World was once a swamp! Washington D.C. was once a swamp!

And here we are, all swamped in scams.

• Haha 1

If one makes a purchase purely based on those yellow stars in front of a name assuming it means it's a 5 star product without actually reading the reviews well...I have some swamp land in Florida I'd like to sell you.

Myself, I never go by the 5 star reviews or 1 star anyways.. I look for the ones that are in between one and five.. Those seem to feel a bit more real and where you get the pro's and cons rather than all pro or all con..

Anyone trying to put their own stars on there and having zero reviews, must not have heard about alts yet.. Which we just know is being done.. lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Disney World was once a swamp! Washington D.C. was once a swamp!

And here we are, all swamped in scams.

When shopping the MP, if I see something with a lot of reviews, I read them.  I read the lowest reviews first.  I have never made a purchase on the MP or even in RL based solely on the rating.  Who does that?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When shopping the MP, if I see something with a lot of reviews, I read them.  I read the lowest reviews first.  I have never made a purchase on the MP or even in RL based solely on the rating.  Who does that?  

IKR? It all comes down to the demo and if that isn't too much of a pain in the ass.. hehehe

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've come to not trust reviews much, because generally only the unhappy people leave reviews! That works against me, sometimes.

I read a lot of reviews. And in 9 of the 10 cases, it's just those negative reviews that should catch your eye and your concern, especially in a world where good reviews can be bought in packages of 20 for 550 USD.

Edited by Dorientje Woller

1 minute ago, Dorientje Woller said:
25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've come to not trust reviews much, because generally only the unhappy people leave reviews! That works against me, sometimes.

I read a lot of reviews. And in 9 of the 10 cases, it's just those negative reviews that should catch your eye and your concern, especially in a world where good reviews can be bought in packages of 20 good reviews for 550 USD.

I'll try explaining it another way.

1. Starting assumption: If we knew how many sales there were. In this case, "100,000 sales".

2. If there was only ONE bad review (or even a few) out of "100,000 sales" , you would ignore it - right?  Even if there were "zero good reviews"?

49 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The internet, like everything else, requires an "education".  I work for a Fortune 100 IT company - and they send us education all the time about different internet "scams" (required learning!).  A company with "stars in its name" isn't one of the things they need to educate us on, apparently.

I feel like this is another case where someone sees a thing they don't like, and label it a "scam".  (Which actually feels "dumb", but there I go being all judgey. Again.)

This is along the lines of where I was going.

I stopped replying when the whole phishing comparison continued because it was apparent that further replies would get me absolutely nowhere, other than irritated. It wasn't a good comparison(there's a reason I went back to school to become a teacher, lmao). It's not a scam and nothing remotely like phishing. 

I still stand by the belief that IF someone is using it as a sales tactic, it's neither a big deal, nor effective as such. I don't think anyone actually believes those are rating stars. If someone actually sees those stars, in a store's name, and does believe that, may the odds be ever in their favor, I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

This is along the lines of where I was going.

I stopped replying when the whole phishing comparison continued because it was apparent that further replies would get me absolutely nowhere, other than irritated. It wasn't a good comparison(there's a reason I went back to school to become a teacher, lmao). It's not a scam and nothing remotely like phishing. 

I still stand by the belief that IF someone is using it as a sales tactic, it's neither a big deal, nor effective as such. I don't think anyone actually believes those are rating stars. If someone actually sees those stars, in a store's name, and does believe that, may the odds be ever in their favor, I guess. 

Yeah, I gave more replies than I should have. 🙂

1 hour ago, xDancingStarx said:

If you don't see the difference between this and putting one black star on the left of your store name and one black stare on the right of your store name, please let's not discuss further and agree that we disagree.

edit: @Rowan Amore How can you be confused about this?

As my forum tag says, My confusion is actually my WTF.  Just to clarify, I'm rarely confused.  Not even by stars on the MP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would hope that someone  is lead more by the demos than they are any stars anywhere on that page.. If they aren't trying the demo first  or buying something that usually should have a demo but doesn't.. Then what can you really do about it anyways?  If it ends up being a bad product, I would hope they learned  from that..

I worry more about there being a demo there than anything else really before I even continue to look at the rest of an add on the MP..In fact it's the very first thing I look for.. No demo, I move on without reading anymore of that page..

One of the first things I tell new users also.. No demo No buy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

As my forum tag says, My confusion is actually my WTF.  Just to clarify, I'm rarely confused.  Not even by stars on the MP.

If I search for , or , only names with 1- prefix come back.

I guess one would have to stumble upon a 5- prefix name to see one, and THEN be confused that it's not a 5- reviewed merchant/product.

That's a lot of chance to just be confused!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.