Second Life is already running error

PurrBlaize

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have no idea why I get an error stating Second Life is running when I try to launch the Second Life official viewer. I do have 3 other viewers installed on my machine and I do not get this error with any of those. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I can find and I'm a bit lost as to why this error keeps popping up. I really do need to use the Second Life official viewer once in a while and this is really frustrating. 

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, checked my task manager, checked my start up apps, checked my "hidden" apps, updated drivers, restarted multiple times. The only thing I have not done is uninstall everything and try the Second Life Viewer without any other viewers installed. That seems a bit extreme but I'll try that next just to see if there's some sort of conflict. 

Any ideas of what else I can try? 

SL_Running_Error.png

5 answers to this question

It's not the viewer. It's the SL servers. As the message says, you are already logged in to SL so you can't log in a second time on the same account. Usually it's easy to fix that problem (yeah, just log out), but apparently the SL servers won't let go of you.  Since you can't see any open viewer -- you've done a really careful job of looking! -- the only way to fix it is to ask LL for help.  If you are a Premium member, use Live Chat.  Otherwise, submit a Support Case.  Explain the issue just as you have here and ask them to log you out.

• Like 1

Stupid question, but have you tried applying this setting?  (Screenshot from the Official Viewer -- dunno where it is in Firestorm).   You can access it without being being logged in, though you may need to restart the viewer after turning it on.

b1e121a40443bfe81b2e643d302c5b00.png

Alternatively, if that doesn't work, try rebooting your router.   That fixes a multitude of issues, at least in my experience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PurrBlaize said:

I do have that marked in my other viewers. But since I'm unable to even launch the Second Life viewer I can't even get into the preferences. 

Someone sent me this article from the wiki so I'll read through this and see if I can find how to set multiple viewer options outside the actual viewer

SL Wiki Viewer Parameters

In the properties of the shortcut for the viewer, add " --multiple" to the end of the Target line.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.