Stack-Heap Collision with Legacy Body?

Szandren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone. I am having a recurring problem when I try to open the editor for my Legacy Body. I am getting this error;  [BODY] Legacy (f) (1.6): [BODY] Legacy (f) (1.6) [script:.channel] Script run-time error [BODY] Legacy (f) (1.6): Stack-Heap Collision.

I have tried detaching/re-attaching my body, clearing my cache, relogging, and nothing seems to help. Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, Szandren said:

I have tried detaching/re-attaching my body, clearing my cache, relogging, and nothing seems to help.

1 hour ago, Szandren said:

Just a quick update - I tried using another viewer (Black Dragon) to see if it was a viewer issue, but apparently not.

Scripts are run by the server so none of these standard fixes will work.

A stack-heap-collision error means that the script has run out of memory and is trying to use the same memory blocks for code and for data. I suppose I don't have to explain why that is a bad idea.

If the body is modifiable you can try to reset the script. There may be a lot of old garbage that that has accumulated over time and resetting will fix that.

It's more likely there's something wrong with the script though. Either your copy has been corrupted or it has a bug. Try a fresh copy of the body first - if you don't have a backup, get a redelivery. If that doesn't help, contact the seller.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The entire body is likely No Mod, so you would not be able to reset the scripts. Once a stack-heap collision occurs in a No Mod object, there's nothing you can do about it anymore. The only two possible fixes are to either try and find another copy of the same body in your inventory and use that one, or have one redelivered from the redelivery terminal.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, the Legacy bodies are still no-mod, unfortunately, so there's no resetting scripts inside. Trying a brand new copy is a good suggestion, at least as a test. Among the 16 scripts in the root prim there is indeed a script called ".channel" but that doesn't really reveal much about what might be going wrong—although it might be recognizable to folks who deal with this body all the time, so I'd suggest asking about it in the "Legacy Lovers" group, secondlife:///app/group/be5f3901-ee36-cd92-caf5-2a43e6d980eb/about to see if anybody has ever heard of it happening and what they may have done to fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If I read the message correctly, will the script probably be named ".channel"? If so, perhaps that is the script to reset.

I wouldn't bother with hunting down the script in a case like this. Firestorm has this nifty function that resets all scripts in a linkset in one go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has happened to me, too. Several times. Extremely unpleasant, and the only solution I had found was to purge it and get a redelivery. I have the feeling that it can somehow happen if you wear a perky item on the normal body, or the other way around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does that work if the item is no-mod, as others replied?

20 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I was wondering about that too

Does not, you need +mod on the object itself, script permissions don't matter for resetting them. You can open up a single unmodifiable script in a +mod object, too, and press the reset button even if you can't see or edit the contents; attempting to do that in a -mod object just says you're not allowed to open it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.