Update System

ItHadToComeToThis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there a better way to do an update system for a product other than using llEmail?

I am looking for something that doesn't involve spending any money, as im broke, on servers or expensive marketplace products.

llEmail seems to work half the time and the other half doesn't work at all.

I could do with some kind of method that lets this product be updated all across the grid.

• Thanks 1

There's experience KVP, but the caveats are pretty harsh.

When llEmail ~does work, you can use it to pass URLs to use HTTP messaging, which is grid wide. URLs (as requested by llRequestURL) are only valid until region reset though, so they can't define a 'permanent' address.

If you don't mind haggling your user-base, you could llInstantMessage them a url to feed into their product (or send them a gesture/SLURL containing said URL), and hope they update before the region restarts where your server is.

Come to think of it, since rolling restarts are ~rolling, if you have sufficiently many servers in different regions, you could ~possibly work out some kind of networking scheme to keep a bi-directional URL line-of-communication open through the roll. It wouldn't be pretty.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

When llEmail ~does work, you can use it to pass URLs to use HTTP messaging, which is grid wide. URLs (as requested by llRequestURL) are only valid until region reset though, so they can't define a 'permanent' address.

If you don't mind haggling your user-base, you could llInstantMessage them a url to feed into their product (or send them a gesture/SLURL containing said URL), and hope they update before the region restarts where your server is.

Come to think of it, since rolling restarts are ~rolling, if you have sufficiently many servers in different regions, you could ~possibly work out some kind of networking scheme to keep a bi-directional URL line-of-communication open through the roll. It wouldn't be pretty.

Is the "Wear / Rez [Product] At our Store for Updates!" method "technically better" then llEmail()?

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is the "Wear / Rez [Product] At our Store for Updates!" method "technically better" then llEmail()?

Yes. If you can get your user to have their thing at your store, you can even llRemoteLoadScriptPin() it, without giving them an updater object.

And if all "user configuration settings" are stored in LSD, a llRLSP() update should be quite easy, although, I've never had a product I really needed to keep updated...

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Is there a better way to do an update system for a product other than using llEmail?

a no-additional cost method is to use the Marketplace.  When a existing customer requests a redelivery they get the latest updated version. (I have a older mesh head that does this).  As a help, add a update instruction on your avatar profile

You can have your item to be upated ping a free external web service like to a Google spreadsheet or a 00webhost. If there is an update written into the database then the server can contact your drop box to deliver an update. 

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/478616-persistent-url-server-scripts-store-an-inworld-servers-url-and-other-data-persistently-via-a-google-sheet/#comment-2366793

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I've tried, it's folly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I understand there are plans to remove the land scope constraint on Experience KVP (not the rest of Experiences). Don't know if the KVP script will still need to be compiled to a Premium-enabled Experience. This is definitely the way I'd do it once I could escape the land scope constraint. Other approaches are subject to future changes to a third party's security practices. I suppose Experience KVP could someday face the same fate as XMLRPC but personally I'd expect it to only go dark with the rest of the grid.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I suppose Experience KVP could someday face the same fate as XMLRPC but personally I'd expect it to only go dark with the rest of the grid.

Hopefully not, since even if Experiences aren't used that much, we've also now got LSD KVP (and the two KVP concepts are not dissimilar).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.