Blender pose is not perfect for exporting to sl

Adamo Banana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello all, i'm doing to create a pose in blender with avastar when i did save a bhv file and load in sl and the pose doesn't come perfectly fine like in blender and how is this possible? did anyone create a pose from blender to sl be accurate or perfect?

Hi. It never looks exactly the same in SL as in Blender, unless you use the exact same shape in both. With different body proportions, the result looks a bit different, it is normal. And even with the exat same shapes, the result will look different depending on the meshbody, since some meshbodies can have bigger/smaller muslces and body parts than some other ones.

Since you use Avastar, you can edit the shape of your Avastar model in Blender, to use the same as the one that you use in SL.

Also try to export as .anim instead of .bvh (although it should work fine with both)

Edited by Aglaia
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Aglaia said:

Hi. It never looks exactly the same in SL as in Blender, unless you use the exact same shape in both. With different body proportions, the result looks a bit different, it is normal. And even with the exat same shapes, the result will look different depending on the meshbody, since some meshbodies can have bigger/smaller muslces and body parts than some other ones.

Since you use Avastar, you can edit the shape of your Avastar model in Blender, to use the same as the one that you use in SL.

Also try to export as .anim instead of .bvh (although it should work fine with both)

ok, i would like to know are there other programs like blender to create poses?

2 hours ago, Adamo Banana said:

ok, i would like to know are there other programs like blender to create poses?

As said above you will face the SAME problem with other programs. Almost everyone uses Blender and Avastar.   You just need to practice more. You CAN make poses that will fit "most" people. Go to an animation - pose store and try on some poses or even just sitting on different furniture will show you how different poses and animations will be for different body shapes.   The bottom line --- it ISN'T the software.  Sorry. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

As said above you will face the SAME problem with other programs. Almost everyone uses Blender and Avastar.   You just need to practice more. You CAN make poses that will fit "most" people. Go to an animation - pose store and try on some poses or even just sitting on different furniture will show you how different poses and animations will be for different body shapes.   The bottom line --- it ISN'T the software.  Sorry. 

oh ok thank u full for help.

• Like 1

You don't say what the problem actually is, so It's hard to guess where it's occurring. If you don't use priority 6, your pose can get over-ruled by a running animation. I've never seen this as a subtle problem, I've seen it as my head hanging down.

If you are writing a pose just to lift an arm, that shouldn't have problems. If you want to move something in the face, that gets complicated. I have written a pose to lower my eyebrows that actually raises them when it's run in SL.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:29 AM, Adamo Banana said:

hello all, i'm doing to create a pose in blender with avastar when i did save a bhv file and load in sl and the pose doesn't come perfectly fine like in blender and how is this possible? did anyone create a pose from blender to sl be accurate or perfect?

Define "perfect".

• Like 2

On 6/14/2023 at 2:38 PM, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Please don't use priority 6 for full-body poses, 5 is just enough. Priority 6 should be used only in partial body animations.

I got head drop with priority 5, so I used 6 and then it went away. (I assume that if I get head drop, others will too.) So I always use 6.

And as general advice, it makes sense if a pose isn't working to try upping the priority and see if that helps. And I am fine with the advice to use the lowest priority that works on everyone.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:38 PM, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Please don't use priority 6 for full-body poses, 5 is just enough. Priority 6 should be used only in partial body animations.

Priority 5 and 6 are both unsupported priorities, neither of them should be used for standard or full-body animations. Doing so just causes creators to start using priorities more and more into the unsupported territory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Priority 5 and 6 are both unsupported priorities, neither of them should be used for standard or full-body animations. Doing so just causes creators to start using priorities more and more into the unsupported territory.

Hi Wulfie! I think I don't understand what you are saying. When my Priority 5 pose was wrecked by my CATWA animations, are you saying I should have checked Priority 4 first before going to 6? I will try to check that tonight.

Or are you saying that nothing runs on higher priorities than 4, and so Priority 4 is all I will even need?

5 minutes ago, Christina Halpin said:

Hi Wulfie! I think I don't understand what you are saying. When my Priority 5 pose was wrecked by my CATWA animations, are you saying I should have checked Priority 4 first before going to 6? I will try to check that tonight.

Or are you saying that nothing runs on higher priorities than 4, and so Priority 4 is all I will even need?

If your priority 5 animation was being overridden by Catwa animations, that means they're also using priority 5 or higher. That's bad, because you're now suggesting people to use priority 6. Next time when someone's priority 6 is being overridden, they'll get a suggestion to use priority 7... and so on.

Priority 4 is the highest official priority. While 5 and 6 and higher work, it's not a documented feature and could change/break, even if it's unlikely. It's a hack we shouldn't rely on unless we really need to, and I don't think we should use it for full-body animations like Catwa did.

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 9:23 AM, Christina Halpin said:

And as general advice, it makes sense if a pose isn't working to try upping the priority and see if that helps.

Absolutely not, general advice has been listed here; https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Animation_Priority

But reality IS somewhat different, ever since AO creators started to use priority 4 animations the rest of us had to switch to priority 5, but for me, that is the highest I will go.

Animators simply can not allow any Bento head to dictate the entire animation priority system, they already created enough of a monopoly in their own field. Every Bento HUD has the option to turn off animations and users should use it if needed.

The sooner you drop the idea that everything will work for everybody, the less headache you will have.

On 6/17/2023 at 9:36 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Priority 5 and 6 are both unsupported priorities, neither of them should be used for standard or full-body animations.

Priority 5 and 6 are both unsupported when it comes to .bvh format.

They are allowed with .anim format.

After all, internal Appearance turn animation is priority 5, so I don't think we can say priority 5 is unsupported.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

Absolutely not, general advice has been listed here; https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Animation_Priority

But reality IS somewhat different, ever since AO creators started to use priority 4 animations the rest of us had to switch to priority 5, but for me, that is the highest I will go.

Animators simply can not allow any Bento head to dictate the entire animation priority system, they already created enough of a monopoly in their own field. Every Bento HUD has the option to turn off animations and users should use it if needed.

The sooner you drop the idea that everything will work for everybody, the less headache you will have.

That advice has an error in it. Right? It says, "If your objective is not to allow part of an existing priority 5 animation to continue playing, then you can meet your objective either with a priority 5 or a priority 4 animation."

Again, a priority 5 pose left my head hanging down because of a running CATWA HDPRO animation. Using Priority 6 solved this problem Maybe the page should be updated? (Or maybe not, maybe the CATWA had a bug that it fixed.)

Yes, I seem to be compelled to try to make things perfect, and you are right, that causes me a lot of "headaches" over problems other people think are trivial (like initial camera angle). You are right, sometimes I can't make things perfect, but sometimes I do find solutions.

Edited by Christina Halpin
improve tone

On 6/17/2023 at 5:15 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If your priority 5 animation was being overridden by Catwa animations, that means they're also using priority 5 or higher. That's bad, because you're now suggesting people to use priority 6. Next time when someone's priority 6 is being overridden, they'll get a suggestion to use priority 7... and so on.

Priority 4 is the highest official priority. While 5 and 6 and higher work, it's not a documented feature and could change/break, even if it's unlikely. It's a hack we shouldn't rely on unless we really need to, and I don't think we should use it for full-body animations like Catwa did.

I am guessing that when there are two (or more) animations, the Linden software checks to see which has the highest animation and that Priority 7 is already supported (except that my software choices only go up to 6).

I have suggested that priority inflation is caused by animation persistence. I thought that maybe when people's faces look contorted, they complain to the head maker, say CATWA (even though it is not CATWA's fault), CATWA gets tired of hearing complaints, and so CATWA or whatever ups the priority on their face. Maybe that's not true. If it is true, priority inflation is just a fact of SL life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.