Hippiestock II

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

lmfaO! (totally OT Gypsy, beg our pardon)...

It is my understanding.. Ceka-anthi.. rawk chik :) (and I could very well be wrong)> that smoking Joe taught "showpony Vai" how to play. Judging by comparison of their individual catalogues but not having researched this.. I feel it is true...?

This seems borne out in any G3 footage as well. Dontchyathink? ^^

I mention Jimmy Page and should also mention co writer John Paul Jones in the immortals league as well because of the incredible originality and sensational riffs. You know, when you first hear a Zep tune and it's like omg what planet were they from!

Like... who wrote this tune again? and who on earth would dare to play it this way :) lolololol and what's that bass player wearing under his kilt lol

Btw, we were going to jam weren't we?

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Here's Julian Kleiss when he was only 16...and just entering contests.  I first met Julian a few years ago when we were both new to MySpace.   I had my mermaid icon on my MySpace profile back then, and an underwater theme on my profile page   Julian liked it...and at some point he changed the name of this piece of music to "Living Underwater".   : )     

i love that style of play..and i think it's neat that somethign you made had an influence on some beautiful music..

my nephew is starting to incorporate that style into his style..

my father had given me a guitar when i was younger..i would only fiddle with it when i was relaxing in my room..it was just something to pass the time for me..

one day my nephew asked me if he could play around with it..i let him..then when he was about to leave to go home he asked if he could borrow it..

i said yes..just be very careful with is .your grandfather gave it to me..

i haven't gotten it back since..and now he is older and people are asking him to do shows with him..he is playing up in nashville every weekend and getting paid LOL

even one of the people running for governor of the state had asked him and his band he was in at the time to play at one of his speakings..

now he just plays alone because he didn't like the way bands would try to influence his feelings about music..so he plays with all kinds of bands and is doing shows even during the week..

i like to think i had a touch of influence with him when it came to music..i told him..if you want to stay true to your talent..create music and never limit yourself to one style..and never sell out for money..no matter how sweat the deal is..unless your love is money and not music anymore..

if people love your style they will come to you in time..don't be in a rush..because it may never happen..but you will always have what you love..your music..

Maryanne Solo wrote:

lmfaO! (totally OT Gypsy, beg our pardon)...

It is my understanding.. Ceka-anthi.. rawk chik
:)
(
and I could very well be wrong
)> that smoking Joe taught "showpony Vai" how to play. Judging by comparison of their individual catalogues but not having researched this.. I feel it is true...?

This seems borne out in any G3 footage as well. Dontchyathink? ^^

I mention Jimmy Page and should also mention co writer John Paul Jones in the immortals league as well because of the incredible originality and sensational riffs. You know, when you first hear a Zep tune and it's like omg what planet were they from!

Like... who wrote this tune again? and who on earth would dare to play it this way
lolololol
and what's that bass player wearing under his kilt lol

Btw, we were going to jam weren't we?

oh i'm sure that may be what happened..satriani and him knew each other before they were signed..

i was just saying vai was the one that found where they could get signed..i didn't mean he mentored satriani hehehehe

and yes thats kind of what i meant when i was talking about page.. his play style was zepplin..that band did him justice..i don't think there were too many other bands that he could have jumped in and the band be able to have a tune that would fit Jimmy pages unique style

i didn't mean he couldn't jump in and play blues.. but who would want to see jimmy come out there and play blues rather than something he is well known for? his style hehehe

and yes!! yes we were sposed to jam together!! LOL we need two more and a hippy ok and we can start practicing for hippystock!! LOL

Kidding hippy hehehehe

oh and before i forget..was that really jone paul jones? what the hell did he stop taking drugs or something? that was terrible LOL

now to get that out of our heads i found this to purify us all so we can all be cleansed instead of having that other mess being that song we just can't get out of our heads  lol

oh speaking of led zepplin..my father has the newspaper and the add from the chicago tribune where they were selling led zepplin tickets ..it was to the show that they had to cancel because of the death of john bonham..my father called it the chicago curse..i guess it was rumored that they had a curse on them when they played in chicago..or it was their bad luck town..

they said people could send the tickets back to get a refund..my father said he could never part with those tickets..they were part of rock history and he felt he was to in a way by having them..only so many people had them in all the world..

my father has his tickets tucked inside the issue..it's not the issue he used to get the tickets..you had to send in the add to get the tickets..so he had bought two issues because he loved how cool the add looked..it's a big picture of the angel on their record label..

he has all kinds of neat stuff and stories like that ..

ETA: Seriously if you want to get together and toy around with instruments in sl i'm more than willing to have fun any time i am on hehehe

Lets do it!!! =)

i've been playing around the whole time tonight hehehe..this thread really got me in the mood to break out my Orianthi and get my OD's out of the closet hehehe

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Omg isn't Julian awesome. Such a beautiful piece of music. Thank you :-)

Such sneaky little vibrato on a classical is sooo hard to do
Only a true virtuoso can do that on high fret nylon classicals.

Do Segovia or Armik do that? I must relisten and see...

Yes, he is quite amazing.  If you click the Youtube video it will take you to that page, and you can click on Julian's YouTube name to go straight to his personal page.  More lovely performances there. 

As to re-listening...when I first hear that particular performance, which is Julian at age 16,..I re-listened, over and over.  So, impressive...he manages to sound as if multiple people were playing. 

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Here's Julian Kleiss when he was only 16...and just entering contests.  I first met Julian a few years ago when we were both new to MySpace.   I had my mermaid icon on my MySpace profile back then, and an underwater theme on my profile page   Julian liked it...and at some point he changed the name of this piece of music to "Living Underwater".   : )     

i love that style of play..and i think it's neat that somethign you made had an influence on some beautiful music..

Yes, being  a Muse is hard work!   *laughing*     I had posted some of my hand-drawn mermaid pictures, and art, along with a carefully crafted underwater theme...some custom made by me.   But, in all seriousness, I think it was a combination of my personal pictures and male adolescent fantasies that became the influence.   At the time, I was actually a little nervous about communicating with someone who was a minor (he was 17)   But, Julian is now 21, and is currently in California performing and learning.  A truly gifted young man.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

my nephew is starting to incorporate that style into his style..

one day my nephew asked me if he could play around with it..i let him..then when he was about to leave to go home he asked if he could borrow it..

i said yes..just be very careful with is .your grandfather gave it to me..

i haven't gotten it back since..and now he is older and people are asking him to do shows with him..he is playing up in nashville every weekend and getting paid LOL

even one of the people running for governor of the state had asked him and his band he was in at the time to play at one of his speakings..

now he just plays alone because he didn't like the way bands would try to influence his feelings about music..so he plays with all kinds of bands and is doing shows even during the week..

if people love your style they will come to you in time..don't be in a rush..because it may never happen..but you will always have what you love..your music..

That's a really neat family story Ceka!   Three generations...involved..and the love of music.  

Your nephew will have years ahead of enjoyment from being able to play a musical instrument.  It's a skill and talent that one can take through the years...and share with so many others.   I really like it that you were the influence upon your nephew...the next generation.  

That's often how inspiration is born...younger people gleaning information from older...and then adding their own twist.  I've found it's one of the joys of growing older....to be able to influence the up and coming generations.  : )

Ceka Cianci wrote:

oh and before i forget..was that really jone paul jones? what the hell did he stop taking drugs or something? that was terrible LOL

Yes that is JPJ, unmistakeably so. His mannerisms and facial expressions are quite unique I have found from all my youtube watching etc.

That version of Black Dawg was totally tongue in cheek. There is one part in the chorus, after the Hey baby, pretty baby bit where the sound of the pedal steel, <falls off chair laughing, drums and bass is sooo fat and rocky on those two chords it's just awesome lol. Rare for him to lay claim to what is equally his, but he was as much the band master as was Page so the history logs say.

Funny you mention the bands Angel logo ^^ *looks over at my sig.... I hadn't realised the small similarities. In flicker and in a forum pic thread I recreated my version of it but the theme was much much lighter and joyous.

Great story about your fathers tickets! If I had two genuine american release Atlantic label Stairway To Heaven vinyl 45 singles I would offer to swap one lol, but I dont :(

When I was a teen friends & I would travel to import shops in the city and buy rare old vinyl bootleg records and one day I found that vinyl single. I couldn't believe my eyes and nearly fainted on the spot! It is in immaculate condition. Sometimes I get it out and just look at it. It has bever been played as I don't have a record player lol. (family originally had one but I dont). It was like finding the holy grail of vinyl lmaoooo

UncommonTruth wrote:

Oh yay I'll be there! Hippiestock was the first event I heard about here, and I've been dying to be able to go :smileyvery-happy: Idk if I need added to your group or somthing, but count me in!

Hi Uncommon!  Just posting here gets you a ticket to H2!   Far out!  I can add you to the group too, or just search for the Hippiestock group and join!  Dig?  Groovy!

Peace!

I've been delinquent in keeping up with this thread; had to read back a few pages. I don't have a musical protege like Celestiall (cradle-robber) and unlike in Ceka's case nobody in my family has made it as a professional musician, although there is still one very good guitar player in the mix.  If he makes it big I plan to take full credit; I taught him how to tune it.

Hippie's been putting in cuts from Woodstock; this song was played by this band at Woodstock but I like this version done a little earler at Monterey a bit better. The band started with Michael Bloomfield on lead guitar but that's Elvin Bishop in the clip; I'm pretty sure the guy with the big hair clapping from the left of the screen right at the end is Michael Bloomfield. Looks a lot like him and according to Wikipedia his band of the moment (Electric Flag) was also at Monterey Pop.

Keep counting the days, Hippie :-).

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I've been delinquent in keeping up with this thread; had to read back a few pages. I don't have a musical protege like Celestiall (cradle-robber) and unlike in Ceka's case nobody in my family has made it as a professional musician, although there is still one very good guitar player in the mix.  If he makes it big I plan to take full credit; I taught him how to tune it.

Hippie's been putting in cuts from Woodstock; this song was played by this band at Woodstock but I like this version done a little earler at Monterey a bit better. The band started with Michael Bloomfield on lead guitar but that's Elvin Bishop in the clip; I'm pretty sure the guy with the big hair clapping from the left of the screen right at the end is Michael Bloomfield. Looks a lot like him and according to Wikipedia his band of the moment (Electric Flag) was also at Monterey Pop.

Keep counting the days, Hippie :-).

Yay Dillon!  Great Video!  I will keep counting!  Groovy!

Peace!

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I've been delinquent in keeping up with this thread; had to read back a few pages. I don't have a musical protege like Celestiall (cradle-robber).....

Oh..I just now saw your comment!  

Waaaaht?   Cradle-robber?..he was 17!    Isn't that legal in Austria?!  

Here's Julian singing "I Like Mermaids"... ; ) 

Only thing I can say in my defense is....he's really hot!!   *laughing*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.