Spring Cleaning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Instead of being able to delete the box the product came in, one will have to make sure they hold on to it in case they ever need to rerezz it on the chance the store is closed or item is delisted.

For products that can easily be broken (most wearables), it's always a good idea to keep the box as a backup. This is simply because any store could close at any moment and decide to stop supporting redeliveries. This happens frequently, unrelated to this spring clean.

The majority of decent products will not get removed two years after the creator leaves, because they'll still be selling. The risk is to the weird niche things where you were one of the three people who bought it. But those items always had a high risk of disappearing forever. You should absolutely keep a backup of those things, regardless of whether spring cleaning happens or not.

I'd also suggest that you sometimes rez or wear the really old things you're keeping for historical reasons. I've been sorting my earliest stuff for my birthday build and one of the avatar pieces could no longer be found in the database. It was in my inventory, but seems like nobody had tried to wear it in some time, so it'd been purged.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Within 2 years, after which the item is unlisted then disabled and it will be impossible to purchase. So basically it is saying any content has a shelf life of 2 years maximum. The Lab makes mention of "absentee store owners who don’t offer sales support for their products"  but in their announcement they make no mention of whether redeliveries will be available for those items that have been delisted and or the store closed/disabled. That is of course the number one way absentee owners continue to support their products when a user breaks or loses what they have in inventory now. Instead of being able to delete the box the product came in, one will have to make sure they hold on to it in case they ever need to rerezz it on the chance the store is closed or item is delisted.

If the Lab was really concerned about creators giving after sales support, there are other surer ways of doing that in a way that do not result in thousands losing money on Marketplace items that are nothing more then empty boxes, as mentioned in a recent thread. 

There are a lot of people on SL. The odds of something not selling once in two years and the creator not logging in in two years is awfully low if it's anything more than gestures, poorly done photoshop textures, etc.

I did a random sampling of stores by changing the store ID at the end of the store URL. A lot of stores don't even have any items for sale. Some had things like Beethoven songs broken up into 10 second clips in a player. Some had some textures that look like they just put text on existing textures in MSPaint. There was a lot of very rough stuff. There are no barriers to entry to opening up a store except for upload costs. Meaning there's a ton of people who randomly decide to open up a store.

I think you misunderstood the AND in there, meaning if someone makes a store and they don't sell anything for two years, but in the last two years they did log in, their store will still not  be unlisted. OR if someone hasn't logged in in 5 years but they managed to sell something they won't be delisted.

• Like 1

So, my store is not abandoned and not unsupported.. My items just do not show up because of spammed listings. And my target is mostly classic avatar stuff.

My stuff won't even show when I look for a specific name of product. So because LL cant get my items in there for people to see they are going to disable my items?? Or Deactivate my store?!?!?!? wtf.

This is not cool. Some of us do not sell as much as the spammed merchants do,  and we sell the same items..(good example is full perm items being sold cheap, or with colors eaches)  so, because they place higher because of manipulation (Multi listings for same items and or colors) or using ads they keep their store and mine goes bye bye?!?!

Edited by SpiritSparrow Skydancer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

So, my store is not abandoned and not unsupported.. My items just do not show up because of spammed listings. And my target is mostly classic avatar stuff.

My stuff won't even show when I look for a specific name of product. So because LL cant get my items in there for people to see they are going to disable my items?? Or Deactivate my store?!?!?!? wtf.

This is not cool. Some of us do not sell as much as the spammed merchants do,  and we sell the same items..(good example is full perm items being sold cheap, or with colors eaches)  so, because they place higher because of manipulation (Multi listings for same items and or colors) or using ads they keep their store and mine goes bye bye?!?!

No, that's not how it works. Anyone who has logged in at any point in the last two years will not be touched by this. They only start looking at sales if you've been inactive for two years.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

The whole idea of deactivating stores that have items that don't sell and the store owner hasn't been online in two years is to get dead listings out of the way so people who are still active do not have to fight through so many dead listings. If SLMP is showing your products on a page filled with merchants who haven't been in here in 5 years. what works better for the customer? Buying from someone who is active or buying from someone who is gone forever?

When search was Search is really messed up, the items showing up for keywords I am targeting are absolutely out dated, very high land impact, very old.

When you list a new product, it ends up at the back of search with all the dead stuff with dead creators. It takes power users to find your product and start buying it for it to move anywhere in search rankings.

The less irrelevant and old products SLMP has to sort and index the easier it is for SLMP to show you relevant products.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Within 2 years, after which the item is unlisted then disabled and it will be impossible to purchase. So basically it is saying any content has a shelf life of 2 years maximum.

No... That's a minimum. If the maker logs in, or somebody buys the item, the clock resets. Minnie is still smaller than Max...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.