Can someone help with a build issue?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have 2 homesteads that are joined, and I'm trying to add a bridge to cross over. I've tried everything from information I could find, like rezzing a bridge on each homestead and overlapping them. Nothing works, we fall through every time at the crossing. Is there a way to fix this, or just an issue SL has without a solution? Thank you much for any help. 

1 hour ago, Ciarra Lexington said:

Is there a way to fix this

Yes. This issue has been around since the dawn of SL. If you are crossing from region A to region B while walking on terrain, no problem. But if you are above the terrain on a prim, you fall thru. Here is a solution.

Rez a prim in region A that is long and narrow, say 30m long. Root it in region A but let it overlap into region B, say at least 40%. Then do the same, for region B, and let it overlap into region A, and have it aligned with the other prim and your bridge.  Make these prims transparent. Now when you walk from A to B on your bridge (and on the transparent prims), you will not fall through.

In the photo below, I am standing on the region border. The two transparent prims can be seen. This allows aircraft to not fall thru the runway when crossing the border.

overlap.PNG

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Ciarra Lexington said:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I followed your directions and we still fall through the bridge. Thanks for trying to help. 

Make sure that the centre of the invisible support prim and the root prim of the bridge are in different regions.

While the bridge is visible from both sides of the region boundary, only the simulator on the side where the bridge's root prim is located knows it's there and that it's solid.  If you're on the other side of the region boundary, the simulator on which your region is running doesn't really know the bridge is there.   

So you need on object on the non-bridge side, which the simulator for that region does know about, to support you on that side of the bridge.

• Like 6

It's like Innula is saying...it depends on where the...I'm going to call this the "center", but it's not, as I'll explain in a moment...of the prim(s) is located.

When you rez a prim, it has a "center", the point at which the movement arrows cross, and the point around which the prim will rotate, either by means of the edit tools or if you rotate it with a script. This point is normally at the physical center of the prim, as well.

However, you can re-define where this point is, in a couple of ways.

If you are using a single prim, use Path Cut to chop it in half. The new rotational center will be at the "end" of the prim where the original prim's axis was. Be sure this end is on Region A. Duplicate this prim, rotate it 180 degrees, and put its rotational center on Region B. Make it transparent and position it so it exactly overlaps the first prim.

If your bridge is a linkset, make the root prim of the linkset be all the way at one end. If you have to, create a small invisible prim at the end of the bridge, and make it the root prim. You can use the "Rotate about root prim" setting in the Edit window to redefine the rotational center of the linkset from its physical center to the center of the root prim, but you don't have to.

Again, duplicate the bridge, rotate it 180 degrees so the root prim is on the other region, overlap it with the first bridge and make it transparent.

• Thanks 1

Step 1. Stand in Region A.

Step 2. Rez prim near region border, making sure the prim center is in Region A.

Step 3. Stand in Region B.

Step 4. Rez prim near region border, making sure the prim center is in Region B.

Both prims from Region A and B should overlap at the region crossing.

Guaranteed success if you do exactly these steps.

The mistake people make is that their avatar is still in Region A when they rez something on Region B, thinking the prim is then on Region B.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

18 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Step 1. Stand in Region A.

Step 2. Rez prim near region border, making sure the prim center is in Region A.

Step 3. Stand in Region B.

Step 4. Rez prim near region border, making sure the prim center is in Region B.

Both prims from Region A and B should overlap at the region crossing.

Guaranteed success if you do exactly these steps.

The mistake people make is that their avatar is still in Region A when they rez something on Region B, thinking the prim is then on Region B.

YOU GENIUS! (⁠•⁠ө⁠•⁠)⁠♡ 

This is beyond helpful x3 

🌟 For you!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.