New Trudeau One owner; mooring & other sailing questions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

After a long haitus, I've gotten back into sailing in SL. I sail in RL, and I used to sail a Tako (?) or some such in SL. Now I have a new Trudeau One. Loving it, and haven't capsized yet, but have some questions:

1. I don't seem to understand how to moor and pack up my boat. When I moor, the sails furl, and the boat becomes a non-physical object -- and usually is immediately sent to my Lost & Found. Maybe I need to more somewhere else?

2. Once this happens, I find I'm unable to re-rez the boat. I gather there are only a limited number of rez points. This often ruins a trip -- I'll sail across a bunch of sims, hop out to check out an island, and boom, I have to go back to where I started. Today I started at the Nantucket Yacht Club, sailed a long way, stopped at an interesting island with people fishing, and then had to TP back to where I started.

3. What do the black and white needles on the HUD mean? I'm pretty sure black means boat speed in knots; what's the white arrow mean?

4.. The little black triangle means wind direction, yes? I find it easier to use that than to try to look up at the top of the mast.

5. What do the numbers on the simpler info HUD mean? One seems to be boat speed, and one depth, but I'm not sure about the others.

6. I dimly recall racing at the Nantucket Yacht Club, but I can't remember how to "see" the race course. Is there a guide to racing somewhere?

Thanks! 

the white arrow indicates the boat speed
The black arrow wind speed
black triangle the apparent winddirection

Info hud tells you the apparent winddir  boat and wind speed and water depth
The info hud is often used for racing. It should make the sailing less laggy

About mooring at a no rezz location. It depends on the autoreturn settings if the boat will be returned immidiately or after a couple of minutes after you stand up.

For racing you need to be close to a windsetter and accept the windsettings. There will be one at Nantucket.. I guess.

Edited by Ian Mercury
  • Thanks 1

If you right click your minimap you should (at least on most third party viewers) be able to show property lines. With them showing you can look for parcels likely to be rezz areas. You should spot one near to Nantucket YC. I think it is the South Side of the Club building. You will also notice parcels in the North East corner of each of the Blake Sea regions. You can rezz your boat there to continue your journey.

The reason your boat is getting returned will be the autoreturn settings. 

Sometimes because you will be in the the landgroup at the destination and to avoid autoreturn you could can edit the boat and set it to the landgroup before standing up.  But, rezzing a fresh boat however is a good idea after a while sailing, so I would generally let autoreturn do its job and rezz a fresh one even if I was in the land group at the destination. 

• Thanks 1

This topic reminds me of those sailboats in my inv I hardly sail anymore
I have a lot of Trudeau boats and most of them are not rezzed for a long time...
Other brands came and the Trudeau's were sleeping
After the topic about the Trudeau One I sailed her again.
More than ten years old and a Golden Oldie now !

Trudeau One.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

You will also notice parcels in the North East corner of each of the Blake Sea regions. You can rezz your boat there to continue your journey. ...

But, rezzing a fresh boat however is a good idea after a while sailing, so I would generally let autoreturn do its job and rezz a fresh one even if I was in the land group at the destination. 

Oh, I did not know about the NE corner of each Blake Sea region. I'll look for that. If I can re-rez, then yeah, getting a fresh boat seems like a good idea anyway. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Ian Mercury said:

After the topic about the Trudeau One I sailed her again.
More than ten years old and a Golden Oldie now !

I think it's a beautiful boat! Loved your screenshot. Nice spinnaker. :)

4 hours ago, pizza7 said:

you can get a hud that shows rezzable zones , if any in the sim.

btw you cannot capsize .

Oh cool, maybe I'll look for that HUD. And good to know I can't capsize, lol. Thanks.

Auto Return can trick you. Say it is set to 5 minutes. You spend 3 minutes sailing in the region to reach the dock and moor. If you get off the boat, it will remain for 2 minutes then return. But if you sailed around in the region for more than 5 minutes, the instant you get off the boat it will return.

In new Linden regions, like Belliseria, they are including rez zones for boats and cars. For planes and copters, you have to look for runways. There are fewer places for planes. But all are marked and generally visible if you get close. And there is a pattern as to where they put them.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.