Planar set textures keep losing alignment

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

32 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

welcome to the hell that is floating point math

No, it's worse than that. I suspect there's some local-vs-server-misalignment involved, or some 'random garbage messages mess things up' like with the alpha mode glitch, but it's too spurious to make a concrete test for, and catching it "in action" with a observer-avi would be hard without the doer-avi being very clear about what they're doing and when. and or recording both simultaneously.

ETA: and yes, it also happens at ground level, not only in skyboxes. (not that it should matter for texture offsets.)

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I found a work around.

Basically the alignment doesn't seem to stick after you leave the area. So I first aligned the textures. THEN I selected the textures one by one and in the menu hit enter in some of the number boxes as if I were setting it manually. That seemed to do the trick. I am guessing the alignment might only be happening on the viewer side. So setting them again manually tells the server how that texture is suppose to be set. 

Edited by Sorina Garrigus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

we could JIRA it and get it fixed.

In how many years?

Yes, that would be nice.

ETA the reason for my disillusionment is that this "can't see half the objects that I know are around me until I TP off region and TP back again or invite a friend with a TPV who can right-click on the things I can't see and choose 'texture refresh'" is still happening with no sign of LL being able to fix that . Likewise the random upsetting of alpha textures on foliage. And one or two other things (Darn, you have been logged out of SL). I am not sure that getting things fixed is as exciting as making new things.

For( i = 1 ; i < 100; i++) llSay(0, "I must not get cross about things that don't seem important enough to get fixed");

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

Sometime in the past when I asked about these small misalignments that spontaneously appear over time, someone suggested that they result from rounding errors during successive region restarts and that they can be minimized by not having non-zero digits far to the right of decimal points.

4 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

that they can be minimized by not having non-zero digits far to the right of decimal points.

or, trying to get the fractional part to be an exact power of two ( 1/2, 1/4, 1/8,...). As the Japanese say "Very difficult".

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.