How Far Down Can Land Be

Charolotte Caxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

On 3/3/2023 at 4:05 AM, Qie Niangao said:

image.png.988dcfc124603ab512e43ecf0a828b94.png

[ ETA: lol. Guess the continent! 😛 ]

@Qie Niangao I captioned it, this is how we roll in the Heterocera Atoll, lol. Yeah, I was brand new back then and the quality is evidence of that :D Thanks about letting us know the ground textures are unique to the area, awesome history/SL geography lesson.

Omg, back then I thought the glitches and things not rezzing were part of expected behavior! Ha. I love Second Life.

I only shared this because it is about the Atoll, which Atoll? Heterocera Atoll! lol

It also ties into my question in a convoluted way, even back then I was in the water.

This question has been answered. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:26 PM, Charolotte Caxton said:

Now I need to know about those *.raw files! and how do I get them to make the sea lower and the mountains higher.

You have to be the actual region owner (not just an estate manager). Otherwise you're stuck with asking whatever baron you got the region from to do a raw export or import for you.

They're just greyscale bitmaps that are used to dictate how tall the terrain is for each coordinate. They can't be used for overriding SL's limits. You can use image editing tools to mess with them and draw pretty pictures, or do landscaping without using the terraform tools. They don't set water height; You have to do that yourself via the estate tools.

• Like 1

Just now, Toothless Draegonne said:

You have to be the actual region owner (not just an estate manager). Otherwise you're stuck with asking whatever baron you got the region from to do a raw export or import for you.

They're just greyscale bitmaps that are used to dictate how tall the terrain is for each coordinate. They can't be used for overriding SL's limits. You can use image editing tools to mess with them and draw pretty pictures, or do landscaping without using the terraform tools. They don't set water height; You have to do that yourself via the estate tools.

I am the region owner. Are these files for sell or are they something I make on my own or both?

On 3/3/2023 at 1:27 AM, Charolotte Caxton said:

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, that I have seen deeper water. Thank you.

edit: This is from the link that Rolig initially responded with 

• Maximum water height: 100 meters using inworld controls, 255 meters by using a *.raw file upload.
    • Region water height is usually 20 meters, and adjacent regions should have the same water height, or else they will look discontinuous.

But it looks like from this, the raw files do override the limits. 

@Toothless Draegonne

Edited by Charolotte Caxton

2 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

I am the region owner. Are these files for sell or are they something I make on my own or both?

I'm not sure if there are packs of SL-compatible RAW files for sale anywhere, but they're a pretty common image format. See this page for info on how RAW files translate into height values: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Tips_for_Creating_Heightfields_and_Details_on_Terrain_RAW_Files

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Toothless Draegonne said:

I'm not sure if there are packs of SL-compatible RAW files for sale anywhere, but they're a pretty common image format. See this page for info on how RAW files translate into height values: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Tips_for_Creating_Heightfields_and_Details_on_Terrain_RAW_Files

Thank you very much for the information, I greatly appreciate it.

edit: Thank you for taking the time to find that for me, thank you.

Edited by Charolotte Caxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.