How Far Down Can Land Be

Charolotte Caxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

50 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

According to the wiki (https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits#Land), a private estate owner can set the limits for terraforming terrain to maximum values of +/- 100m. On the Mainland,  of course, you can only change land elevation by +/- 4 m.

Oh, ok, then I should clarify I am asking about a private region, am actually just curious how low I can make it, I guess I could just try, right? But then I see addendums like in that link you posted, with raw* files can do extra, so, I am wondering what all those extra things you can do are. I can have taller mountains and lower sea floors?

Just thinking out loud, thank you.

100 meters up or down from the standard sea level is more than enough. Remember that a region is only 256 meters on a side, so you can make a mountain that's nearly as tall as it is wide.

That breaks the laws of physics, unless of course you assume SL has lower gravity than the Earth (look up "angle of repose"). And from an esthetic point of view, I have never seen a very tall mountain in SL that looks good.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

100 meters up or down from the standard sea level is more than enough. Remember that a region is only 256 meters on a side, so you can make a mountain that's nearly as tall as it is wide.

That breaks the laws of physics, unless of course you assume SL has lower gravity than the Earth (look up "angle of repose"). And from an esthetic point of view, I have never seen a very tall mountain in SL that looks good.

Thanks, Lindal. edit: also I think it is funny you are the only person who ever criticised my mountains, and you made them, lol! *Has strong mountain opinions lol, too cute 

Edited by Charolotte Caxton

49 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, but I guess what I was asking was how deep can I make my underwater realm. 

9 hours ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

... I think it is funny you are the only person who ever criticised my mountains, and you made them, lol! *Has strong mountain opinions lol, too cute 

I'm not criticizing those mountains, they are beautiful. I think if you measure them you'll find they are way less than 100m tall. I was criticizing things like this...

1200px-Sharp_tourism_6a.png

• Thanks 1

Hi. I just went down as far as I can go and I found it interesting that my land elevation at sea floor is 0. (128, 128, 0). I made a prim, the distance from my sea floor is 10 meters to sea level. 🙂

I found this: 'Continental Water is the water that can be found on all continents, private and Linden-owned. It has the average heigth of 17 meters. From https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Water

image.thumb.jpeg.10e487abb2700f71b295b9fe9518bc4d.jpeg

On 2/23/2023 at 5:34 AM, Rolig Loon said:

According to the wiki (https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits#Land), a private estate owner can set the limits for terraforming terrain to maximum values of +/- 100m. On the Mainland,  of course, you can only change land elevation by +/- 4 m.

Yep, it seems I could vary the height somehow, I'm happy with what I have. Thanks!

Region water height is usually 20 meters, from that link.

Seems the mountains can go up 100 and seafloor down 20, thanks!

On 2/23/2023 at 10:18 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

I looked up Angle of Repose, that was very very helpful. Thank you.

angle of repose

physics : the angle that the plane of contact between two bodies makes with the horizontal when the upper body is just on the point of sliding : the angle whose tangent is the coefficient of friction between the two bodies

or angle of rest  : the angle of maximum slope at which a heap of any loose solid material (as earth) will stand without sliding 

Ha, as an aside, I looked to see how many meters I am, I am 1.95, or 6.5 feet! I know SL height vs RL height is a contentious subject, just thought was interesting.

Also, I can't figure out how to fix the text formatting of the text I pasted. Anyway, that can be my next question 🙃

4 hours ago, animats said:

Some areas have deeper water. New Babbage has water about 80-90m deep. Although few people go there, there's quite a bit of interesting stuff below the waterline.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, that I have seen deeper water. Thank you.

edit: This is from the link that Rolig initially responded with 

• Maximum water height: 100 meters using inworld controls, 255 meters by using a *.raw file upload.
    • Region water height is usually 20 meters, and adjacent regions should have the same water height, or else they will look discontinuous.

29 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

[ ETA: lol. Guess the continent! 😛 ]

Lol, I have no idea 🙂 

edit: but the low level texture makes me think of Monet, my fave. The second looks like Renoir. The third like the bad guy in The Punisher and the 4 like another Monet. So awesome.

Well, since you have a whole island to play with, you can try them for yourself!  They're in the Library folder, listed somewhere with "Atoll" in the name.

Or you can see them on coastal regions of the Heterocera continent, for example my parcel on the coast of the Myron region where I took the screenshot of the Region/Estate window. (Everyone is always welcome to visit there—as long as they play nice with each other, anyway.) [ETA: although I cover up some of that coastline with a mesh sandy beach, so not all the transition textures appear in their full funky glory right there.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.