Is there any good reason not to allow everyone to rez objects on Linden roads?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Linden roads normally allow object entry by everyone and have object autoreturn set to five or 10 minutes, but building, i.e., object creation, by everyone is disabled.

It would be a great convenience to vehicle users to be able to build anywhere on a Linden road, since that would make it unnecessary to find a rez zone to rez a vehicle. Why isn't building allowed?

Since autoreturn with a short timeout is already on, what harm would there be in allowing anyone to rez objects?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

what harm would there be in allowing anyone to rez objects?

Good question. Funny thing... when I got my first mainland parcel in 2009 I had a small rez zone for boats because, that's what everyone else did. Eventually I enlarged it to include the entire beach because... why not?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Opening up the entire road to allow rez would be a griefers paradise, doubly so with object entry turned off.

Can you explain why you say that? 

With autoreturn set to five or 10 minutes, as it normally is for roads, how, exactly, would there be a griefers' paradise?

The road cannot work as a road for vehicular traffic if object entry is turned off, so object entry must remain on, as it currently is.

The anti-griefer response would be the same regardless of how much of the road is rezzable. Autoreturn would always clean things up. If object entry is off then griefer prims could not cross a road but could propagate along it until they hit a parcel/region border. Note that it is ok to leave object entry off because a vehicle that is sat upon ignores that setting.

Autoreturn set for 10 minutes (as an example) would be completely inadequate because self-replicating griefing objects would spawn faster than the "clean-up" time.  This is exactly why, in areas where object entry is set to on - these items spread throughout regions on mainland, as evidenced over recent years of griefer attacks in places like the Blake Sea, and even in Bellisseria.

In both the above cases, the ONLY thing that prevented these replicating griefer objects from spreading much further was the fact that Object Entry is turned off in the Blake Sea and Bellisseria - precisely to combat this sort of thing.

35 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

The road cannot work as a road for vehicular traffic if object entry is turned off

Bellisseria, whilst not  "mainland", has a similar road infrastructure, and has object entry turned off since day one, yet you can drive on the roads there without issue. Of course, as soon as you stand up from your car it will vanish, but that's the trade off for increased griefer protection.

Regardless, my original point still stands, mainland LL rez zones are quite common. There is certainly enough of them to support the relatively smallish community that frequently travels the roads. I spend around 4 hours per day travelling on them, and honestly i've never had an issue with finding a rez zone nearby.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Regardless, my original point still stands, mainland LL rez zones are quite common. There is certainly enough of them to support the relatively smallish community that frequently travels the roads. I spend around 4 hours per day travelling on them, and honestly i've never had an issue with finding a rez zone nearby.

According to the old wiki, zindra has just 6 Linden rezz areas for the whole continent and only 3 of those serve the road system.

Not all continents were made equal with regards to them.

• Like 2

At some point the Lab must have decided that new continents would have more restrictive land policy on roads. Most roads on Zindra, for example, have object-entry turned off, as on Bellisseria. Both have relatively fewer rez zones, too, compared to the other continents.

It's kind of a trade-off. There are a bunch of things that depend on object entry being enabled on Linden roads, rails, water, etc., including the Yavapod touring system. The downside is that those become natural arteries for spread of griefer prims that can self-replicate at every rez area, conveniently located along the roads and at every Linden SLRR station for example.

Of course at this point it's all been done, and even bored griefers eventually tire of exercising all the same lame old pranks that nobody cares about anymore. Also, regardless of the settings on Linden land, as @diamond Marchant mentions, there are plenty of private parcels with rezzing and object entry enabled—my own included—that, even with aggressive auto-return, sometimes fill up with the kiddie kruft. Occasionally I'll find out and turn off rez and object entry for a while but because most of my land abuts permissive Linden land on Heterocera where the stuff will continue to proliferate, any real response awaits a few keystrokes from a Linden to poof it all grid-wide.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.