Bring back Ratings!! - A Proposal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I just wish I knew practical steps LL and residents could take to make it better—even just enough better that SL might again retain some of those dreaded screaming noobs.

Try spending an hour in one of those M rated Spam-Hubs that LL's Noob Island Immigration Portals dump you in, on day one, with voice spam and screen covering chat toasts enabled by default...

You'll soon understand why the vast majority of "screaming noobs" don't stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Zalificent said:

Let's not and just say we did...

The idea is to ENCOURAGE local chat right? Not kill it even deader than people claim it is already...

I'm sorry you did not like my idea, did you have any relevant feature ideas to contribute? I probably missed them!

Thank you very much for your feedback!

• Haha 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm sorry you did not like my idea, did you have any relevant feature ideas to contribute? I probably missed them!

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Ban any account over 10 yrs in SL from working in a noob mentoring role

Demolish all info hubs

Outlaw worthless activity points

Outlaw "naughty corner" experienced based auto sit for 'inactive avatars'

Outlaw local chat @name-tagging

Stop wasting dev team time, effort, and budget on "Project Pointless: A web cam based trojan malware auto-gurning system with digital arm-thrash anti-technology"

Or would you prefer it if I stopped making suggestions, and went back to denouncing really awful ideas from people who should know better by now...

Local chat is a nightmare if you try to have more than two or three conversations happening at once. That's pretty much the same way in any multiplayer space unless you've got more robust chat features (being able to filter things out - like send gesture spam and talking body parts to their own tab, etc). If we could do that, I'd gladly use it more.

Due to that, I've always found smaller group chats to be a lot easier to handle. Typically, if I'm hanging out with a friend or two or three or four, we'll use local long enough to establish basic contact with a few people, and then invite everyone we're chatting with to a group IM. Makes it a lot easier to chat without scrolling past a ton of HOOOOOOOOOOS and whatever.

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Also, Just look at the actual real world and how people communicate..It pretty much mimics that.. Everyone in the same room on their phones talking to someone else that isn't there or texting to someone in the same house rather than getting off their butt to go down the hall to say something.

This is very true. And people can be quite shy - even when they really want to socialize. I used to be very active in the RL goth/industrial club scene and maybe that's why quiet local chat and IMs in seemingly social places in SL don't really strike me as unusual. Nobody would ever walk into a real nightclub full of people and try to start a conversation with the entire room. Not without half a dozen drinks in them at least, and that NEVER turned out well. 😂 They will, however, wander over and stand/dance next to you or your group (while trying to look like they're not doing that - playing on their phone or whatever) and eventually attempt to strike up a private convo. Sometimes they'll wait it out until the group notices and approaches them first.

Back when I used to go to SL clubs and beaches regularly, I noticed that same sort of behavior - people inching closer and closer to us verrry slowly. That's when we'd just laugh and IM them or drop a message in local like get over here and chat with us, we've got a group IM happening.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Zalificent said:

Ban any account over 10 yrs in SL from working in a noob mentoring role

Demolish all info hubs

Outlaw worthless activity points

Outlaw "naughty corner" experienced based auto sit for 'inactive avatars'

Outlaw local chat @name-tagging

Stop wasting dev team time, effort, and budget on "Project Pointless: A web cam based trojan malware auto-gurning system with digital arm-thrash anti-technology"

Or would you prefer it if I stopped making suggestions, and went back to denouncing really awful ideas from people who should know better by now...

Thank you!

No, I respect other people's suggestions and tend not to demean them for whatever they suggest. I make jokes, but that's not the same.

Thanks again for your suggestions.  I find your Forum contributions insightful and interesting!

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Back when I used to go to SL clubs and beaches regularly, I noticed that same sort of behavior - people inching closer and closer to us verrry slowly. That's when we'd just laugh and IM them or drop a message in local like get over here and chat with us, we've got a group IM happening.

It occurred to me (because of some recent scripting) that you could also "whisper", then only people close by hear it!

Versus, "shout"!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It occurred to me (because of some recent scripting) that you could also "whisper", then only people close by hear it!

Versus, "shout"!

Remember what I said about checking stuff before commenting?

/me demonstrates...

/whisper you can only hear this at 10m or less

/shout you can hear this 100 m away

But whispering wont stop the horde's shouts from making your whispered conversation impossible to follow...

Edited by Zalificent
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I always forget whisper exists. And shout. I never use them. 

They are awkward because it feels like emoting, not just talking nearer or farther!

2 minutes ago, Zalificent said:

Remember what I said about checking stuff before commenting?

/me demonstrates...

/whisper you can only hear this at 10m or less

/shout you can hear this 100 m away

But whispering wont stop the horde's shouts from making your whispered conversation impossible to follow...

..yes?

Thank you for your kind commentary on my posts. 

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Perhaps if Chat had an option to tag like, "@someone" so they would get a different notification or chat color.

That is a fairly modernish feature that we have in the Forums, in Outlook emails, etc..

Sorry, I read this wrong.  I had to leave for breakfast.  What I thought you said is for local chat we could add an @ (whomever person) to let a message stand out and it would change a color (the color we picked ourselves) so the message could stand out in a fast moving local chat.  

However, bots could grief the @ and the color?   I'd guess so because then we all have the potential to be an @

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Which is a problem, because if we can't convert them to long standing residents, we all lose.

You signed up, downloaded and installed the LL Fail-Viewer, staggered though the noob island training course, dodged the scammers and mentor wannabes on noob islands -social disaster, took the escape portal and...

... you land in an info-hub with 40 other avi's, screamers, spampires, ranters, the troglodytes 4chan banned, et all.

The building is an ugly prim crap box from the time before skill, there is a door, but you are new and have no idea where it is, even if you weren't lagging badly enough that you can't walk.

You can't TP out because you have NO landmarks, couldn't find them in inv if you did thanks to LL Fail Viewer improvements, and wouldn't know how to use an LM anyway, because you are new...

And clueless old fossils wonder why you don't stay more than 2 mins and never come back... Then suggest moronic ideas that would only make the noob-experience even worse, and whine like spoiled children when their bad ideas are shot down in flames time and time again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Sorry, I read this wrong.  I had to leave for breakfast.  What I thought you said is for local chat we could add an @ (whomever person) to let a message stand out and it would change a color (the color we picked ourselves) so the message could stand out in a fast moving local chat.  

However, bots could grief the @ and the color?   I'd guess so because then we all have the potential to be an @

That is indeed what I meant.  In a subsequent post, I also suggested (in response to the Bots question) that using the "@" prefix could be restricted to "non-Script usage" (which may not exclude Bots due to their "Agent" status).

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

At least one TPV has a keyword system that allows you to have that type of functionality @Love Zhaoying - mind, it requires the user to set it up and will only trip on the specified keywords (whole, if set up properly).

We do not need the "at" system for Second Life general/local chat.

Thanks! Just a suggestion, not unlike any other. 🙂

ETA: Unlike some, I don't either "fight tooth and nail" for an idea, or defend it to the death.  I just put stuff out there! ("What's a filter?")

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

ETA: Unlike some, I don't either "fight tooth and nail" for an idea, or defend it to the death.  I just put stuff out there! ("What's a filter?")

At time of writing... 58 posts in ONE thread "defending to the death" three utterly dreadful ideas... Suggests otherwise.

Edited by Zalificent

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That is indeed what I meant.  In a subsequent post, I also suggested (in response to the Bots question) that using the "@" prefix could be restricted to "non-Script usage" (which may not exclude Bots due to their "Agent" status).

No, I think what I missed is that you were saying if we used @ (person name) it would send a notice OR change color in local chat.  I missed the sending a notice part with the @ which is where a bot could start sending us spam IM's, I'd guess.   

However, when there are 90 avatars like some Dinkie/Tiny events and the chat is going so fast, we could use it now by just typing @ (person name) without any bells and whistles but just to make what we typed stand out to whomever.    So, what I'm saying here is to just type it but it's not scripted or a feature or anything.

Anyhow, never mind.  

I'm really here wondering how we all made it through beginning SL but so many newbies have difficulty.  It has been written in several articles I've read that SL's biggest problem is it's high learning curve though.  Yet, we all made it.  It's a bit of work at first and needs a friend who comes along to help.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I'm really here wondering how we all made it through beginning SL but so many newbies have difficulty.  It has been written in several articles I've read that SL's biggest problem is it's learning curve though.

I keep hearing about "Mt. Steep-Learning-Curve".

I have my climbing boots, hammer, pitons, rope and ice-axe handy, but I can't find this mountain, after 7 years, I've given up looking for it.

5 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

No, I think what I missed is that you were saying if we used @ (person name) it would send a notice OR change color in local chat.  I missed the sending a notice part with the @ which is where a bot could start sending us spam IM's, I'd guess.   

Yeah, I was just trying to select two possibilities.  

For Outlook emails, for instance, adding @ adds a person to the email and notifies them they've been "tagged".

Similar to what happens here if you tag someone.

But color change would be less annoying. I'm sure certain people would still tell me it's a terrible idea. lol!

7 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I'm really here wondering how we all made it through beginning SL but so many newbies have difficulty.  It has been written in several articles I've read that SL's biggest problem is it's learning curve though.  Yet, we all made it. 

Are we certain that "we all made it"?  Some days, I'm reminded of the scene in the Stephen King movie, "The Stand", where the character trapped in a relationship with teh debil says, "We are dead and this is hell!"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are we certain that "we all made it"?  Some days, I'm reminded of the scene in the Stephen King movie, "The Stand", where the character trapped in a relationship with teh debil says, "We are dead and this is hell!"

I'd say there is much more to learn now compared to when I started in 2009.  There were no options for choosing a body/head and I think that right there is the first thing most people want to do, customize their avatar.  We, as older residents of course, wouldn't find it as difficult because we've encountered all the newness one step at a time.  Small bites opposed to a full course meal the new people have now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But color change would be less annoying. I'm sure certain people would still tell me it's a terrible idea. lol!

This is pretty much how other chats are set up these days. Off the top of my head, I know Discord and Twitch use it. The message highlights in a brownish shade on Discord and a red shade on Twitch if someone @s your username or a role you're in. The color is likely customizable somewhere.

SL's nearby/local chat is just cluttered, honestly. Clear a little of that up with filtering and maybe that would solve at least some of the issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.