Yes, another post about computers able to handle Second Life...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@OP, since you said don't need ADL on just buy yourself gtx 1650 without super is alot cheaper. The super already run second life with ADL on more than 100+ FPS with the use firestorm 6.6.5+ mass performance increased. Don't use any lower version. I have FX 6300 with 16gb ram dual and GTX 1650 super run second life max out with Reshade on like water.

On 2/22/2023 at 8:54 PM, randakong said:

@OP, since you said don't need ADL on just buy yourself gtx 1650 without super is a lot cheaper. The super already run second life with ADL on more than 100+ FPS with the use firestorm 6.6.5+ mass performance increased. Don't use any lower version. I have FX 6300 with 16gb ram dual and GTX 1650 super run second life max out with Reshade on like water.

Perhaps with a draw distance of 128m, no advanced shadows with smoothing on, but a GTX 1650 is no where near the GPU any new RX system is let alone a RTX one (even if Ray tracing won't be used in SL.) The GTZ 1600 series was good in its time, but when it comes to enhancing SL with better antialiasing and texture load times, the GTX 1650 falls very short. 

There were some changes in the default and Firestorm viewers to utilize GPUS more, and those enhancements come into play.  at the end of the year, or 2023 when the new viewer is fully released, you will want a better card.

I do agree however that SL viewers + AMD RX cards and Ryzen gpus are not as good for SL. I do get more performance out of Intel + Nvidia.  

However I would like to see a video of your GTX 1650 + CPU spec performing at these high settings at what you claim.  High draw distance - advanced lighting - smoothed shadows and projectors on. High texture detail. Running it at 128m or less draw distance with low settings isn't impressive or pleasing.  If just chatting and not enjoying things then yes its fine. But not if you need to see people. 

Edited by Kavarek

On 11/22/2022 at 5:56 PM, JeromFranzic said:

Really? At 99%?

I run a laptop with a GTX 1050 and 8th Gen i7 CPU. GPU hardly hits 50% unless I'm in a really busy or highly detailed sim, maybe 60-70%. Might be a driver issue at your end, I keep my drivers updated to the latest in Windows and Linux. I use the Game Ready Drivers in Windows, and Feature ones in Linux.

If anything the CPU for me takes more of a performance hit while in SL, not the GPU.

Yeah same.  SL fails to utilise the 1650ti in my laptop (similar performance to a 1050 as far as I know) to 100%.  40-50% is normal even in the busiest scenes.

I just don't think any OpenGL application can properly utilise modern graphics cards, we're in an era where the API is just an afterthought and a "have to include" basic feature but it can't really make best use of hardware.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:39 AM, Arluelle said:

I'm on the "higher end" side, I've been on AMD for many years and switched to Intel just recently. Talking about recording events, OBS has an encoder setting for "QuickSync" which uses Intel's iGPU for encoding. I hadn't known about this feature at all and when testing this out, IT BLEW ME AWAY. I'm coming from encoding with NVENC on an RTX 4090 where you do notice a small performance impact. With QuickSync there is absolutely none, and you can record 4k 60FPS in great quality without problems.

Interesting but I am pretty sure this 10th i7 I got I ordered with no iGPU if I remember correctly. In any case no quicksync option in OBS for me

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 10:00 AM, Kavarek said:

Perhaps with a draw distance of 128m, no advanced shadows with smoothing on, but a GTX 1650 is no where near the GPU any new RX system is let alone a RTX one (even if Ray tracing won't be used in SL.) The GTZ 1600 series was good in its time, but when it comes to enhancing SL with better antialiasing and texture load times, the GTX 1650 falls very short. 

There were some changes in the default and Firestorm viewers to utilize GPUS more, and those enhancements come into play.  at the end of the year, or 2023 when the new viewer is fully released, you will want a better card.

I do agree however that SL viewers + AMD RX cards and Ryzen gpus are not as good for SL. I do get more performance out of Intel + Nvidia.  

However I would like to see a video of your GTX 1650 + CPU spec performing at these high settings at what you claim.  High draw distance - advanced lighting - smoothed shadows and projectors on. High texture detail. Running it at 128m or less draw distance with low settings isn't impressive or pleasing.  If just chatting and not enjoying things then yes its fine. But not if you need to see people. 

Bullcrap I don't need to buffed about it. It has been used for years. You the one need to do more research on how Second life graphics works. Don't believe me? Just build yourself a PC similar spec and test it.

On 2/28/2023 at 9:17 AM, Candide LeMay said:

You can max out the GPU once you go to higher resolutions.

Firestorm 6.6.3 with everything turned on, 240m draw distance, 2560x1440px, no frame limiter (getting 56fps in this scene):

SLgpu.png

SLgpu-scene.jpg

Lmao that just plain craps places. Mine PC running more than 100+ fps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.