Having some trouble...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a returning user after over 8 years and everything around me will render, including other people's avatars but mine will only render two objects I'm wearing and nothing else. Everything else is grey. I've tried busy locations and isolated locations. I've tried tweaking my Nvidia settings to no avail. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a brand new gaming pc so I shouldn't be having any problems with my graphics etc. I hope this is the right place to be posting this.

Try wearing one of the default avatars from the Library. If that looks OK, then start adding items from your problem avatar one at a time (and taking unneeded parts from the default avatar off).

I also suggest using Avatar > Avatar Health > show avatar complexity during this process.

If at some point your avatar goes gray again, then remove the last item, the one that caused this.

I suspect you either have a corrupted item, or (unlikely) that your setting in Preferences > Graphics for complexity is set too low. I keep mine just under the max (unlimited) setting.

4 minutes ago, Tatsuki Starfall said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them out and see what happens. IDK if I'll remember the names of the articles I'm wearing though. We'll see. Thanks.

If you look at the "Worn" tab in your inventory, it'll tell you what your avatar is wearing. Do a screenshot or something if you want to try putting them on one by one after changing?

• Like 1

Here's an even easier way than a screenshot.

• Make a new folder. Call it something like "BadGrayAvatar"
  • In the search bar of your inventory, enter (Worn   (Yes, include the left parenthesis)
  • Select one of the items that was returned by your Search.
  • Holding the CTRL key, select all of the other search result items, until all of them are selected.
  • Right click and choose Copy
  • Hit Collapse to remove your search filter
  • Right click your BadGrayAvatar folder and choose Paste As Link.

Now, go put on one of the starter avatars as I suggested earlier.

The rest of this assumes that this avatar rezzes correctly.

• Go back into Edit Outfit.
  • Right click each of the items and choose Detach, or Take Off, or Remove from Current Outfit.
  • Be sure to check the sub-tabs to be sure you have dealt with all attachments, clothing layers, etc.
  • In the end, you should be left with only four items: A shape, skin, hair base, and system eyes.

Now go to your BadGrayAvatar folder and Wear the shape, skin, hair base, and system eyes from that folder. (Do them one at a time, as I suggested earlier).

Then keep adding items from that folder until you either turn gray again, or your avatar is fully assembled and rezzed correctly.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Thanks! This really helped! IDK what part of my outfit was corrupt yet because I just wanted a working avatar. I'll figure that out later. I just changed my outfit and bam, fixed. 

One thing, I couldn't find avatar health under avatar, so I couldn't check my complexity. Is there another place I can look? I'm using the regular second life viewer. Again, thanks so much for the help!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

In the end, you should be left with only four items: A shape, skin, hair base, and system eyes.

the easiest way to achieve that result is to right click an empty folder and choose "replace current outfit".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tatsuki Starfall said:

Thanks! This really helped! IDK what part of my outfit was corrupt yet because I just wanted a working avatar. I'll figure that out later. I just changed my outfit and bam, fixed. 

One thing, I couldn't find avatar health under avatar, so I couldn't check my complexity. Is there another place I can look? I'm using the regular second life viewer. Again, thanks so much for the help!

The complexity will not effect how you see YOUR avatar only others.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tatsuki Starfall said:

One thing, I couldn't find avatar health under avatar, so I couldn't check my complexity. Is there another place I can look? I'm using the regular second life viewer.

Go to the "Advanced" menu, then Performance Tools -> Show Avatar Complexity Information.

(If you don't see the "Advanced" menu, it can be turned on through Preferences -> Advanced -> Show Advanced Menu)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.