New griefing tactic: how to solve?

Quistess Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

An unscrupulous individual (or group, this tactic makes it hard to actually tell) started spamming group conferences. is there a viewer setting to not automatically accept conference invitations/group chat calls (I never voice and wouldn't want to join a group call under any circumstance)

Also when anyone in the attacker's target list replies to the spam, they inadvertently spam everyone in the malicious conference. So "blocking the attacker" isn't always a viable solution.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Frionil Fang said:

At least in Firestorm: Preferences->Chat->Chat Windows->Automatically ignore and leave all conference chats

Quite a bit excessive, IMHO... It would be better to restrict auto-closing to sessions opened by residents not on your Friends list.

With the Cool VL Viewer, you may use Lua to achieve whatever result you wish.

Here is an example (add or merge to your automation.lua script), to auto-close sessions initiated by non-friends:

known_sessions = {}

function OnInstantMsg(session_id, origin_id, session_type, name, text)
	-- Track known conference sessions, so that only the session originator
	-- is checked for against the Friends list (as the session could comprise
	-- non-friends as well)...
	if session_type ~= 2 or known_sessions[session_id] then
		return
	end
	known_sessions[session_id] = true
	if not IsAgentFriend(name) then
		CloseIMSession(session_id)
	end
end

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

12 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

An unscrupulous individual (or group, this tactic makes it hard to actually tell) started spamming group conferences. is there a viewer setting to not automatically accept conference invitations/group chat calls (I never voice and wouldn't want to join a group call under any circumstance)

Also when anyone in the attacker's target list replies to the spam, they inadvertently spam everyone in the malicious conference. So "blocking the attacker" isn't always a viable solution.

• Automatically ignore and leave all conference (ad-hoc) chats: Shuts down any conference chats in which you are included.
    • Report ignored conference chats in nearby chat: Informs you that a conference chat was ignored.
      The name of the person is shown, and may be clicked in nearby chat to bring up their profile.
    • Don't ignore conference chats invitations from my friends: overrides the automatically ignore settings for conferences started by those on your friends list.
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Frionil Fang said:

At least in Firestorm: Preferences->Chat->Chat Windows->Automatically ignore and leave all conference chats

Is there an equivalent for the Official LL Viewer, but to ignore "Group chats" where you ARE a group member?  Someone mentioned a group setting, but I haven't found it. Context: random furries starting group chats with either "hi", or because they're looking for something.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is there an equivalent for the Official LL Viewer, but to ignore "Group chats" where you ARE a group member?  Someone mentioned a group setting, but I haven't found it. Context: random furries starting group chats with either "hi", or because they're looking for something.

That's the "receive group IMs" checkbox on the first page of a group's settings, right by where you change your group tag.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

That's the "receive group IMs" checkbox on the first page of a group's settings, right by where you change your group tag.

I'm not seeing it, unless it was "Receive Group Notices" (which was already off).

The screen shot is for an example group where I would like to stop getting group chats.

GYC1.png

17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

IIRC, group chat in the LL viewer is tied to turning off group notices, also unless it's changed in recent updates.  

Thanks, I thought that was already off (as shown in the screen shot) before the last group chat, I'll keep my eye out for more.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks, I thought that was already off (as shown in the screen shot) before the last group chat, I'll keep my eye out for more.

What I mean is, you can turn off group chat but only along with group notices...in preference, I believe.  Under Chat.

But that may turn off ALL group chat.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This, right? Turning that off is OK for me (for now)!

Chat1.png

It's been forever since I used that viewer so I'm not up on the changes but that seems to be the right spot.  I do remember people complaining that there wasn't an option to shut off group chat separate from notices.  In Firestorm, I have almost all group chat turned off and only have it on for maybe 3 or 4 groups but notices on for others.  It's more customizable in Firestorm per group.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's been forever since I used that viewer so I'm not up on the changes but that seems to be the right spot.  I do remember people complaining that there wasn't an option to shut off group chat separate from notices.  In Firestorm, I have almost all group chat turned off and only have it on for maybe 3 or 4 groups but notices on for others.  It's more customizable in Firestorm per group.

Greymuzzle have no time for learn new veewer, dirtnap is always in the rearveew!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.