Beta Grid vs Main Grid Rigging Differences?

imacrabpinch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've noticed an issue that has been ongoing for quite some time. I've validated that the issue isn't only me - as it happens to other creators as well.

After a great deal of time rigging clothing on the beta grid, I later find out that in main grid the rigs are just a little off - causing clipping in places that were not clipping in beta grid - same shapes, same mesh, seemingly same weights.

Is anyone else aware of this issue? Is it being worked on? Do certain sims on the beta grid do a more accurate job?

To continuously have to fix rigs costs in both linden and time. Any workarounds?

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, imacrabpinch said:

I've noticed an issue that has been ongoing for quite some time. I've validated that the issue isn't only me - as it happens to other creators as well.

After a great deal of time rigging clothing on the beta grid, I later find out that in main grid the rigs are just a little off - causing clipping in places that were not clipping in beta grid - same shapes, same mesh, seemingly same weights.

Is anyone else aware of this issue? Is it being worked on? Do certain sims on the beta grid do a more accurate job?

To continuously have to fix rigs costs in both linden and time. Any workarounds?

Thank you.

Perhaps it's just that you are at different altitudes on the grids? The higher up in the sky you are, the more the floating-point errors will take effect on rigged meshes. The further you are away from the 0,0,0 coordinate in a region, the bigger the errors will get.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Perhaps it's just that you are at different altitudes on the grids? The higher up in the sky you are, the more the floating-point errors will take effect on rigged meshes. The further you are away from the 0,0,0 coordinate in a region, the bigger the errors will get.

so are you saying to upload closest to ground level instead of a skybox?

55 minutes ago, imacrabpinch said:

so are you saying to upload closest to ground level instead of a skybox?

The problem is persistent, it's not just at upload time. Testing a mesh at high altitudes, as Tessa suggested, might be a good idea. But maybe it will be misaligned at ground level then.
So maybe testing at 2000 meters as a compromise may work even better. I honestly don't know.

Personally, If I would do rigged meshes myself, I would make them work correct at ground level.
Perhaps someone that does rigging regularly will have a recommendation.

The main intention of my reply was to narrow down what the actual problem is that you are facing.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HunniHope said:

on beta grid i upload and test on ground level. on main grid i upload and wear on my build floor which is at 2100m up. I haven't noticed much of a difference at all from one to the other.

You won't normally notice any issues at 2100 m but it depends quite a lot on the size of the object. What happens is that the higher an object/avatar is from the ground, the less precise the location of the vertices become.

Btw, Arton already mentioned this but he didn't make it clear enough: the elevation a mesh is uploaded at doesn't matter, it's the location it is at in-world that makes the difference.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.