What's going on with these textures? Viewer issue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Without the viewer logs, hard to say for sure...

If the issue gets solved by a relog, then my (wild) guess would be a failure to retrieve the materials data (with textures using alpha masking instead of alpha blending), either because of a network issue or due to a bogus/missing materials capability URL...

Another possibility would be a texture cache corruption.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just checked with an alt and relogging and that isn't fixing it. seems JUST these two products - same maker but other things from them are OK. So I guess I will just change out the plants :D and hope that solves it. Thanks.   

Later: On checking it looks like that particular file (well two anyay) got corrupted. A new copy "seems" to fix it.  Here's hoping it sticks.

image.thumb.png.0fc55e70858943e399739548211eb19f.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

This could be the result of the new renderer code that came with the performance viewer. Alpha rendering has changed...

If you own the object, and it is mod-ok, you could try to change the alpha setting for the affected faces: try changing the alpha blending level (for alpha-blended faces) or the alpha mask cut-off value.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

This could be the result of the new renderer code that came with the performance viewer. Alpha rendering has changed...

If you own the object, and it is mod-ok, you could try to change the alpha setting for the affected faces: try changing the alpha blending level (for alpha-blended faces) or the alpha mask cut-off value.

Using not the newest FS viewer so no changes in months for me :D.   I guess I should have checked to see if it was viewer specific :D. Too late now (hopefully anyway).

• Like 1

From reading around this issue a bit it seems pretty conclusive from the fact that a "fresh" copy of the file shows the expected alpha activity.  This bug that periodically sets texture alpha to "none" is a server side effect, not a rendering glitch in viewers.

Like many non-reproducible bugs this harks back to issues that bubble up to the surface of region code at restarts and that are most likely on the "search me" list at LL.

As Henri suggests on modifiable items changing the alpha value in edit might get you back to something resembling the original.  On a no-mod item, one just has to rez a "new" one.  If the item is no mod AND no copy....tough.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling...I kan't spel
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 4:36 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-11333

This one could indeed happen for people with modify rights on the objects and using viewers not (yet ?) having backported LL's corresponding fix. Note that it has been over two years that this fix was implemented, so it would mean an ”old” viewer, or one that is badly maintained...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 688 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.