Paid L$30 to show land in search and it's not showing

Winterharte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:38 PM, Winterharte said:

It's been over 24 hours and my land is still not showing in search.  Am I doing something wrong?  I read somewhere that it takes about 6 hours to show up.

Should show up instantly in Firestorm's legacy search. Do your search terms match literally with what you have listed in your parcel's desc? IE, no using plurals when plurals do not exist in your parcel desc keywords. Are your parcel desc keywords comma or space separated?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:38 PM, Winterharte said:

It's been over 24 hours and my land is still not showing in search.  Am I doing something wrong?  I read somewhere that it takes about 6 hours to show up.

Welcome to our world on the SL viewer. Search is broken and it may never show up because there are so many returns -- thousands at times -- and searches on exact names of persons or companies or anything with names do not work to turn up just that site.

Complain to Lindens and ask them to look up the term "Linden Lab" on their own viewer.

The Lindens should retire the $30 search/places ad fee given this problem that has stretched to over two years (whereas about 4 years ago, it was fixed in 48 hours when it occurred).

It works on Firestorm, however.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Welcome to our world on the SL viewer. Search is broken and it may never show up because there are so many returns -- thousands at times -- and searches on exact names of persons or companies or anything with names do not work to turn up just that site.

They just fixed this .. it was announced at previous web user group.

g2ThInK.png

pVmBoVe.png

I don't know what you expect to Linden's searching for "Linden Lab" to find .. It's a bit like telling them to search for "sausages" and then citing the zero results as proof of something.

It's funny that they would declare it "fixed" in this way when they denied it was broken in this way for years.

But no, it's not fixed and I can't imagine why they are declaring now that it is, except that they probably are out of funds to keep paying the GSA experts they brought in to fix it.

We've been over this many times.

The way it used to work was to return a low number of results on exact names -- as many ads as were checked off in the search/places box on the land menu to be precise.

This is still visible on TPVs, such as Alchemy, where you get nice, neat, clean results only exactly as the number of ads you pay for. In my case it's 108, so I get 108 results on Alchemy, but 2,634 on the regular viewer because it's not treating it as a bound phrase (and putting in quotation marks doesn't help this).

On the SL viewer, the numbers is in the several thousands still, so that by page 2 or 3, you no longer have that exact name's results -- and it isn't going through first the 108 I might have paid for.

The point of looking up "Linden Lab" is to show the difference between numerous results they get on both the SL and TPV viewers with are irrelevant even with an exact name because they likely don't check the search/places ad box.

In my case at least the first page does have my ads.

The reason the virtual economy still more or less functions, although it has taken a beating, is because most residents use TPVs which mercifully retained the old search and enabled numerous people to shop normally, looking up exact brand names.

Those few of us who use the SL viewer, and newbies, see how it is broken.

20038e0416314dadf3568075c402f82e (1).png

f83dda27abd17d5296cf6b0249832c8d.png

bed69e5016f783506f82dffa74794eea.png

d67deaa57558f259ac9eaff7f48d278c.png

11bacd1e46c62eedbe3cbf6227ddcf54.png

Edited by Prokofy Neva

44 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's funny that they would declare it "fixed" in this way when they denied it was broken in this way for years.

But no, it's not fixed and I can't imagine why they are declaring now that it is, except that they probably are out of funds to keep paying the GSA experts they brought in to fix it.

We've been over this many times.

The way it used to work was to return a low number of results on exact names -- as many ads were checked off on the land menu to be precise.

This is still visible on TPVs, such as Alchemy, where you get nice, neat, clean results only exactly as the number of ads you pay for. In my case it's 108, so I get 108 results on Alchemy, but 2,634 on the regular viewer because it's not treating it as a bound phrase (and putting in quotation marks doesn't help this).

On the SL viewer, the numbers is in the several thousands still, so that by page 2 or 3, you no longer have that exact name's results -- and it isn't going through first the 108 I might have paid for.

The point of looking up "Linden Lab" is to show the difference between numerous results they get on both the SL and TPV viewers with are irrelevant even with an exact name because they likely don't check the search/places ad box.

In my case at least the first page does have my ads.

The reason the virtual economy still more or less functions, although it has taken a beating, is because most residents use TPVs which mercifully retained the old search and enabled numerous people to shop normally, looking up exact brand names.

Those few of us who use the SL viewer, and newbies, see how it is broken.

Then I guess you're doomed. because this is now "fixed". Job done. Marketplace is next.

We asked multiple times at the most recent web meeting if we could have APIs so we could present the web search in a similar way to legacy and got ignored every single time.

I am half expecting legacy search interfaces to be withdrawn. 

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Then I guess you're doomed. because this is now "fixed". Job done. Marketplace is next.

We asked multiple times at the most recent web meeting if we could have APIs so we could present the web search in a similar way to legacy and got ignored every single time.

I am half expecting legacy search interfaces to be withdrawn. 

Well, I'm glad that you realize it *is* a problem, and not just for commerce, but any kind of social interaction. 

What do you think is driving this? Is it due to "ownership" by one Linden? Is it due to religious beliefs of a group of Lindens? They once understood when it was broken and why, and fixed it, and then later went into this other cult-like response around it. So it mystifies me.

Also explain what you mean when you say "legacy search interfaces will be withdrawn". So that means even those TPVs that retained this option will no longer be able to "play nice" with LL's code as it goes through other reiterations? What happens when you have a viewer that can log on, but not accept all the new things from LL? Does it become unusable?

Well, then the Lindens will have a natural-born riot on their hands all across the board, and maybe that will be a good thing as commerce will grind to a halt, along with log-ins -- and they will finally grasp (although it shouldn't have taken that drastic a development) that they need to "put it back the way it was."

BTW, I will take this opportunity to announce that in the Lost Garden of Slosser, I have erected a statue of Minerva, Goddess of Science and Commerce, to Cinders Roxley, still in her prime, whom should be credited, to the best of my knowledge, for hastily coding up the ability to retain the legacy search out of 1.23, which we all felt worked just fine, into the TPVs, notably Firestorm, before Oz Linden axed it out of 2.0.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

Legacy search is a blunt tool and not really much of a search by any standards, but it still has value to users and I hope LL recognize that value. And yes, the existing legacy search depends on LL server side functionality. LL can withdraw the data those old search interfaces depend upon at any time. 

We had been hoping to marry the new search with the old interface and try and get the best of both worlds, but unless LL give us APIs to do this we're sunk.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.