How Can I Kill a Running Script On My Parcel?

BobCates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I bought a sliding door script and placed in the contents of a door so the door automatically slides.

But I've run into a problem.  The door now is stuck open.  I tried to edit the door to delete the script, but because I now can't even see the door, I can't.

How can I find out what scripts are running on my parcel and then kill the script in question?

Thanks in advance.

door stuck open.jpg

16 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

ctrl-alt-t will turn transparent view on, then you should be able to grab the door to delete the script after clicking edit.

Thanks for the great suggestion.  I did the ctrl-alt-t, but still can't see the darn door.

Thanks. 

Making some progress. I was able to cam into the wall and found the door.  So, I deleted the sliding door script.  Thought that would fix things but the door is still stuck i the wall.

The door is linked to the rest of the building.  Do I need to unlink and drag it out?  or would unlinking mess things up more?

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

You can cam into the wall and poke around until you find it.  I had to do this with a mirror I hung ON the wall.  I had to cam into the wall and grab it from the backside.  Weird but it works.

rowan to the rescue,  it's been ages since I actually built or played with doors,  my mind slipped passed the idea of camming in to grab it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

rowan to the rescue,  it's been ages since I actually built or played with doors,  my mind slipped passed the idea of camming in to grab it.

Only because that dang mirror made me so mad.  Mesh mirror on mesh wall and I could NOT grab the mirror no matter if I was clicking right in center of it nowhere near the wall.  Even highlighting it, I still could not grab it.  Soooo annoying.

10 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Only because that dang mirror made me so mad.  Mesh mirror on mesh wall and I could NOT grab the mirror no matter if I was clicking right in center of it nowhere near the wall.  Even highlighting it, I still could not grab it.  Soooo annoying.

Lately, I have found it impossible to grab attachments to edit them. It's frustrating, but I have also developed the habit of going to the item in my inventory, right clicking it there, and selecting Edit.

That works every time. Unfortunately, you can't use that trick with objects rezzed in world - only things attached to you.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

On 7/16/2022 at 9:34 PM, BobCates said:

Success!! 😁

I was able to just grab the door and reposition in place.

With that sliding door script gone now,  at least things are working like before.

Congratulations! It can be hard to grab an object that is inside something else. It takes patience, a steady hand, and confident camera control.  If this sort of thing happens in the future, though, I suggest not removing the script.  There's a really good chance that the script simply lost its start point and could have been repaired by just resetting it once you had the door in its closed position.  As it is, without the script, you now have a non-functioning door.  If you leave the door in its closed position, the best you can do (other than dropping a new script in it, which is also a possibility) is to make it phantom so you can walk through it.   

8 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Congratulations! It can be hard to grab an object that is inside something else. It takes patience, a steady hand, and confident camera control.  If this sort of thing happens in the future, though, I suggest not removing the script.  There's a really good chance that the script simply lost its start point and could have been repaired by just resetting it once you had the door in its closed position.  As it is, without the script, you now have a non-functioning door.  If you leave the door in its closed position, the best you can do (other than dropping a new script in it, which is also a possibility) is to make it phantom so you can walk through it.   

I tried doing a reset but that didn't work.  Perhaps further settings as I could've got the script to work properly.  The door with the script was working somewhat, but then would get stuck in the wall.  I'm guessing it is still sensing something to make it think to stay open (inside the wall).

I have two options.

Option (which is what I'm doing currently) is just use the script that came the parcel.  It's manual.  But what made me think of modifying in the first place is this script (non-modifiable) closes the door a bit too soon.  So, sometimes it slams the door in a people's faces and they have to try again. 

Option two is I found a script that automatically slides the door by using doormats as the trigger.  Trying at a sandbox, seems to work and easier to set.

• Like 1

Go with Option Two.  It's simpler and involves less work for users.  As long as you have a modifiable version of the script, you should be able to adjust it easily if the door's orientation or size aren't exactly what the script expects.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Go with Option Two.  It's simpler and involves less work for users.  As long as you have a modifiable version of the script, you should be able to adjust it easily if the door's orientation or size aren't exactly what the script expects.

I actually tested at a sandbox and think I got the settings right.  The script is no mod via code but does have menu driven settings.  The only drawback to this option is 2 more prims (for a doormat outside and inside) and my parcel is near the prim limit.  But if I can rob 2 prims on my parcel, this solution should work fine.

17 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Use a single phantom "doormat"...some doors use invisible, phantom bounding boxes...so the door will open when approached from either direction. Only one prim!

Yes.  That's what I ended up doing.  Thanks for the tip.  Every prim is precious 😉.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.