The GPU shortage is over

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Modulated said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

One of these years, "real soon" then, I'll upgrade! So many other things to sink money into.

I was perusing ebay this morning and 1060 model gpus 3gb and 6gb versions can be had at decent prices currently. Good way to upgrade your rig for not a lot of dough. and the 1060 is a solid card all around.

But, per the post I was quoting, I need to upgrade my whole PC due to the " i7 2600" processor being a "massive bottleneck".  So, I may as well wait to upgrade the GPU until I upgrade the whole PC.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But, per the post I was quoting, I need to upgrade my whole PC due to the " i7 2600" processor being a "massive bottleneck".  So, I may as well wait to upgrade the GPU until I upgrade the whole PC.

Alrighty then.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, at this point I would recommend people invest in an AMD AM4 x570 based platform with 16GB and the best Ryzen 5 they can afford - there are a lot of really beefy processors that fit AM4 that will only ever get cheaper (especially once AM5 comes out), so getting in now mid range leaves the door open for a brain transplant and nice performance boost down the line .. likely more than once.

AMD processors aren't the fastest in a single core straight line fight against intel, which is what SL as it stands right now prefers, but down the line having an absurd number of cores is going to pay off.

This is my system with a Ryzen 9 5900X 12 core (24 threads) and an RTX 2060 flying over mainland at 60 - 80 fps (higher than 1080p), maxed out everything with shadows, on Catznip that doesn't have the performance boosts from LL yet.

j1QGz3p.png

2 Cores are busy .. but half of each is kernel time (so file manipulation), the 2060 never gets over 50%.

The rest are bored silly. There is a lot of headroom here for SL to do more with the hardware (which realistically is the only way we're going to get a game changing uplift), or for me to do other things at the same time as SL (typical SL usage).

Previously I had a Ryzen 7 2700X and getting the newer Ryzen 9 5900X was a huge performance boost for just the cost of a new processor (and the 2700X went on to upgrade another machine).

The only things I can really push this box with are blender and a couple of games ... and I tend to have SL running then too anyway.

I wouldn't mind a fatter GPU, but realistically for what I do, that's only going to make blender faster (although from past experience when I upgrade, my 3D work also goes up in complexity and after a couple of months I'm back waiting the same amount of time for things to render).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The bottleneck in your system is the GTX 560, especially if it's the 1GB model (it also came with 2GB), not the CPU.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.