Compatibility between Win10-11 and Firestorm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lately every time I try using SL with either this user or my alt , I appear as the dreaded orange cloud. It doesn't matter if i use FS, Phoenix, or the SL viewer. I changed to a computer that had never even used SL and got the same issue. Every time I login in get messages saying, "Failed to find (body part)" or "Failed to find (clothing)". Also, unless it is scripted like lights, running water, etc. it is grey and without texture.

I tried emptying caches and changing location of cache.

A friend logged into both my accounts and everything was fine.

I'm stuck, lost, fed up.

Signed: The Fog

• Sad 1

This is what is known as bake fail.  I am not surprised reinstalling doesn't help.  The issue is with your inventory.  One of the most likely causes is that one or more of the four system mandatory items you must wear has become damaged and cannot be loaded so the cloud stays because loading cannot complete.  The four items are:

System : Skin, Hair (or baldy, hairbase), Shape and Eyes.

Below is a link that will tell you what to try to fix this.  Please follow all the steps and if nothing works, you may have to put in a support ticket.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_bake_fail

It's possible that the one of the system items in your cache became corrupted and the viewer saw this as an edit to that item and uploaded it to the server as an update which then corrupted the item on the server.  I've heard of instances of this happening.  Your friend may have that item cached and uncorrupted still on their system so when they logged in to your account, it used their cached version instead of downloading the corrupted one.  Unless they emptied their cache, they wouldn't see the problem.

The server doesn't need help from the viewer to find the assets in your inventory.  If you have cleared your cache and the server is still saying it cannot find the asset (item) then it is pretty certain that the server copy is toast.

It's not possible to know for sure what happened but that guide is all we have to help except to contact LL support.

I've personally had this happen to me with a shape on several occasions but luckily I had copies of my shape, made a new copy, wore that and the issue when away.  I was prepared to do that with a fresh copy of my skin, eyes and brow shaper if necessary.  I knew this was the issue because when I changed to a starter avatar, everything started to load again and I realised the issue was with the worn assets and only the four mandatory system assets prevent you coming out of the cloud.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you log in, change your avatar to one of the LL provided ones - under the Avatar menu - and see if that rezzes for you.  Then remove everything that you can from the outfit -- so everything except shape, skin, eyes, eyebrow shape / bald base.  Now, one at a time, replace those 4 items with the ones you typically wear.  That should narrow down the culprit.  You'll need to replace the problem item with something else.  While this problem is almost always because of an issue with one of the 4 basic components, every now and then it will be something else.  So if all four of the primary items are good, then start putting on your regular outfit, one piece at a time, until you find the problem.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It's possible that the one of the system items in your cache became corrupted and the viewer saw this as an edit to that item and uploaded it to the server as an update which then corrupted the item on the server.  I've heard of instances of this happening.  Your friend may have that item cached and uncorrupted still on their system so when they logged in to your account, it used their cached version instead of downloading the corrupted one.  Unless they emptied their cache, they wouldn't see the problem.

The server doesn't need help from the viewer to find the assets in your inventory.  If you have cleared your cache and the server is still saying it cannot find the asset (item) then it is pretty certain that the server copy is toast.

It's not possible to know for sure what happened but that guide is all we have to help except to contact LL support.

I've personally had this happen to me with a shape on several occasions but luckily I had copies of my shape, made a new copy, wore that and the issue when away.  I was prepared to do that with a fresh copy of my skin, eyes and brow shaper if necessary.  I knew this was the issue because when I changed to a starter avatar, everything started to load again and I realised the issue was with the worn assets and only the four mandatory system assets prevent you coming out of the cloud.

Thanks, again.

I'm reluctant to make a ticket to LL. I already tried that and got someone that blamed the speed of my connection.

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When you log in, change your avatar to one of the LL provided ones - under the Avatar menu - and see if that rezzes for you.  Then remove everything that you can from the outfit -- so everything except shape, skin, eyes, eyebrow shape / bald base.  Now, one at a time, replace those 4 items with the ones you typically wear.  That should narrow down the culprit.  You'll need to replace the problem item with something else.  While this problem is almost always because of an issue with one of the 4 basic components, every now and then it will be something else.  So if all four of the primary items are good, then start putting on your regular outfit, one piece at a time, until you find the problem.

Thank you.

I'll try that.

On 6/5/2022 at 8:52 PM, Annalise Ember said:

Lately every time I try using SL with either this user or my alt , I appear as the dreaded orange cloud. It doesn't matter if i use FS, Phoenix, or the SL viewer. I changed to a computer that had never even used SL and got the same issue. Every time I login in get messages saying, "Failed to find (body part)" or "Failed to find (clothing)". Also, unless it is scripted like lights, running water, etc. it is grey and without texture.

I tried emptying caches and changing location of cache.

A friend logged into both my accounts and everything was fine.

I'm stuck, lost, fed up.

Signed: The Fog

That's called a bake fail and if you'd bookmark the URL for the troubleshooting guide you'd have all the info you need, including the fact that Pheonix is no longer supported.

firestorm_troubleshooting [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

Bake fails: fs_bake_fail [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO IS CLEAR CACHE BEFORE TROUBLESHOOTING!!

Only clear cache if you have problems with cache contents, such as texture corruption.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

OP, maybe change the title of this thread. It's about bake fail, not win 10, 11 or FS ;) 

I don't think they can at this point.  I think the title is similar to the post itself -- you can only edit it for 24 hours.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.