World Economic Forum organizing to do something about the Metaverse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

We've also been through having to verify ID with LL once already. That didn't work out either.

I noticed that with my opensim viewer only place I saw anything about age verify was under land settings. Not sure how that process worked when it was used. 

It's a foundation for something that sounds like will be regulated in future especially with virtual spaces with adult content. I don't see the big deal about a verify system as long as it's created factoring in all privacy concerns. 

age verify.jpg

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

In most school shootings, the kids were bullied to the point they snapped or they had ***** parents. A good example, the Uvalde shooter had an abusive mother and was bullied. I mean I would like to see better and more accessible mental health supports for troubled youth and adults. 

From the link I posted a few minutes ago:

Individuals who commit school shootings are often influenced by debilitating factors that may include various forms of abuse, family dysfunction, mental illness, or other psychological problems. Common sources of motivation for shooters can include depression, suicidal thoughts, a feeling of persecution, retaliation against bullying, or a desire for attention or recognition. While sources of entertainment such as films, videogames, and comic books are occasionally accused of being influencers as well, these accusations are rarely, if ever, backed by credible science.

It's pretty damned obvious the US doesn't do much of anything to help those with mental health issues.

I was bullied all through school. It never stopped. I still encounter bullies daily. I have been abused by parents and siblings as well as partners, raped, and on and on, but I have never picked up a gun and killed people. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

There is something definitely wrong with the US government,  if you need a ministry of truth to basically regulate what happens on the internet. I mean we deal with that here in Canada, us Canadians are getting fed up with Trudeau. I mean yeah he has done some good. But some of his bills come off tyrannical. 

I was referring to how the Senate has too much power in the US, due to its original construction long ago.  We need reform:

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/contributors/2020/10/21/constitution-gave-senate-too-much-power-share-house/3639210001/

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

From the link I posted a few minutes ago:

It's pretty damned obvious the US doesn't do much of anything to help those with mental health issues.

I was bullied all through school. It never stopped. I still encounter bullies daily. I have been abused by parents and siblings as well as partners, raped, and on and on, but I have never picked up a gun and killed people. 

Well not everyone goes on a rampage or retaliates as they do. But I mean societally men and boys are taught to hide their feelings. So if you get bullied you are not to talk about it and just move on. I am a trans MTF and throughout school I was called a girl or a baby for talking about my feelings or telling people I was getting bullied. It never made me snap, as I had my dad to go to to talk about it. But I don't know what would happen if my dad wasn't in the picture, and that scares me. 

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Well not everyone goes on a rampage or retaliates as they do. But I mean societally men and boys are taught to hide their feelings. So if you get bullied you are not to talk about it and just move on. I am a trans MTF and throughout school I was called a girl or a baby for talking about my feelings or telling people I was getting bullied. It never made me snap, as I had my dad to go to to talk about it. But I don't know what would happen if my dad wasn't in the picture, and that scares me. 

Indeed.

"Boys Don't Cry" -- we need to get rid of that stereotype and stop conditioning boys in ways that harm them.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I was referring to how the Senate has too much power in the US, due to its original construction long ago.  We need reform:

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/contributors/2020/10/21/constitution-gave-senate-too-much-power-share-house/3639210001/

I mean trying to live in Canada, Europe, or even the UK where our government has more power.

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I mean trying to live in Canada, Europe, or even the UK where our government has more power.

Are you saying that's a good thing or a bad one, and power over what?

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Indeed.

"Boys Don't Cry" -- we need to get rid of that stereotype and stop conditioning boys in ways that harm them.

My Dad actually told me that it was okay for me to cry, before I came out trans. That it was okay for me to talk about my feelings. Even as a boy. He would do it too, to try and set a good example for me. So I mean I was raised with a man who wasn't afraid to show his emotions or to cry. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I noticed that with my opensim viewer only place I saw anything about age verify was under land settings. Not sure how that process worked when it was used. 

It's a foundation for something that sounds like will be regulated in future especially with virtual spaces with adult content. I don't see the big deal about a verify system as long as it's created factoring in all privacy concerns. 

age verify.jpg

https://lindenlab.wordpress.com/2007/05/04/age-and-indentity-verification-in-second-life/

https://www.lindenlab.com/releases/linden-lab-introduces-identity-verification-to-second-life

• Thanks 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I am saying none of its Good. When a government proudly admits looking up to another country for their dictatorship style, when it comes to environmental issues. That is scary, and he shouldn't be in power. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I am saying none of its Good. When a government proudly admits looking up to another country for their dictatorship style, when it comes to environmental issues. That is scary, and he shouldn't be in power. 

You mean the Republican CPAC conference taking place in Hungary a few days ago?  Scary.

https://www.businessinsider.in/politics/world/news/donald-trump-shares-platform-at-cpac-hungary-with-notorious-journalist-who-has-used-the-n-word-and-described-jews-as-stinking-excrement-report-says/articleshow/91724682.cms

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

You mean the Republican CPAC conference taking place in Hungary a few days ago?  Scary.

I was saying that during an interview with Justin Trudeau he admitted to admiring the Dictatorship style of China, when it comes to their environment. The fact that a running PM admires a dictatorship is absolutely scary. I mean Republicans are allowed to have a conference. That isn't scary. What do you want to happen exactly? 

7 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I was saying that during an interview with Justin Trudeau he admitted to admiring the Dictatorship style of China, when it comes to their environment. The fact that a running PM admires a dictatorship is absolutely scary. I mean Republicans are allowed to have a conference. That isn't scary. What do you want to happen exactly? 

If China treats the environment better (I never heard they did though!) I don't think it's wrong to point this out. Every single thing in China is not bad.

Now if Trudeau said he admired China's governmental style that would be a different matter.  I don't see he did that.

CPAC is doing just that though -- admiring an authoritarian style -- and they want the US to be an authoritarian nation with themselves at the helm.

* Hungary is ruled by Orban, an autocrat.

Edited by Luna Bliss

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If China treats the environment better (I never heard they did though!) I don't think it's wrong to point this out. Every single thing in China is not bad.

Now if Trudeau said he admired China's governmental style that would be a different matter.  I don't see he did that.

I don't know, I am not okay with that. Especially if they admire it, so they are okay with it. Usually means that they are okay with doing the same thing or that they have the potential to do the same thing. 

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Add in the intensity, VR can be extremely fatiguing, physically and mentally. Even if you're not flailing around like someone just shouted BEES, the mental fatigue can be like listening to music on bad headphones. After a short while most users just tap out, and you guessed it, we have an innate aversion to that experience too.

I agree with everything you said, and this right here is pretty much why I wrote off VR a million years ago. I was just being cheeky making fun of the ugly equipment. To be honest, I never saw VR going anywhere in the first place, so I really don't care what it looks like. Companies have been trying to push it for years - even SEGA gave it a go in the 90s (though theirs never fully released). And yet - they still can't get over the motion sickness hurdle.

I've not used it myself, and there's absolutely no chance I ever would (I can't play normal first-person games for too long even, outside of walking sims with very slow movement), but I've watched streamers play games in VR and it looks absolutely horrid. The streamer himself looks completely disoriented after a bit. And honestly? Even watching games in VR for longer than a few minutes makes me nauseous. Can't do it. All the tilting and bobbing and flashing colors - ugh. And there are a whole lot of people who have trouble playing in first-person, too, so I imagine they won't be thrilled to strap on a headset either.

It's gimmicky - that's about it. I can't see widespread usage of it until tech advances far beyond where we're at now (teleport me somewhere and really let me walk around a whole new space - not just bump around a living room filled with furniture). And since *that* will never happen, I'm just wondering how long companies will pump money into this stuff - or if they'll even try to solve the physical sickness, anyway.

49 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But a Metaverse in VR?  Could be interesting, but I have mixed feelings about it.

Meh, I'd be surprised if it goes anywhere. I'm making bets with myself over how long it'll take for companies to get bored with the entire thing and move onto something else.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Punctuatiooooon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I don't know, I am not okay with that. Especially if they admire it, so they are okay with it. Usually means that they are okay with doing the same thing or that they have the potential to do the same thing. 

I think it may have been a statement he needed to clarify better.

There actually are advantages in terms of getting things done, with autocratic governance -- through force they can get things done quickly.  I think that's what he meant.

But, of course, autocracy, where nobody but the autocrats have a say in matters, is atrocious.

Edited by Luna Bliss

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
55 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But a Metaverse in VR?  Could be interesting, but I have mixed feelings about it.

Meh, I'd be surprised if it goes anywhere. I'm making bets with myself over how long it'll take for companies to get bored with the entire thing and move onto something else.

Looks to be growing though:

https://www.statista.com/topics/2532/virtual-reality-vr/#topicHeader__wrapper

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Doesn't mean that everyone will want to be a part of this or can. I have motion sickness when I put on 3D Glasses or even VR headsets. I am not making myself nauseous to join in on the fun. If it is required to use VR headsets to do that, then I am saying sayonora. 

Oh yeah, people do definitely buy the equipment and stuff. But how much it's used and how often (in the gaming arena - I don't know about any other industries) - that I'm not sure. 

VRChat is big. Other VR games I know of - nowhere near as many players.

• Like 1

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Doesn't mean that everyone will want to be a part of this or can. I have motion sickness when I put on 3D Glasses or even VR headsets. I am not making myself nauseous to join in on the fun. If it is required to use VR headsets to do that, then I am saying sayonora. 

I wouldn't think it would be a requirement for society, but who knows!  It almost seems you need to have internet these days in order to participate fully in society.

They are working on the nausea problem...if I remember right it affects a third of people. Maybe it will be eliminated in the future.

I don't feel nausea as long as I don't move my head really fast in certain environments.  The heavy rig gives me a head and neck ache though, so I can't do more than an hour or so at one sitting.

• Like 1

They are working on the nausea problem...if I remember right it affects a third of people. Maybe it will be eliminated in the future.

I don't feel nausea as long as I don't move my head really fast in certain environments.  The heavy rig gives me a head and neck ache though, so I can't do more than an hour or so at one sitting.

NGL I like the current setup as it is,  I am not getting on the VR bandwagon. No matter what. 

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh yeah, people do definitely buy the equipment and stuff. But how much it's used and how often (in the gaming arena - I don't know about any other industries) - that I'm not sure. 

VRChat is big. Other VR games I know of - nowhere near as many players.

It is hard to get a sense of it. I know people who love it (those playing games and on forums) and those who have headsets gathering dust.

Me, mine gets a little dusty from time to time, but I always come back to it and discover all the new games.

• Like 1

I wouldn't think it would be a requirement for society, but who knows!  It almost seems you need to have internet these days in order to participate fully in society.

Go to YouTube and watch someone play some Beat Saber for a bit. In VR. Full screen that ish.

Come back in a few and tell me how you feel. 😂

I'm sure there's a good chance you'll feel fine, but man, that made me so woozy just thinking about it is making me dizzy again.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Go to YouTube and watch someone play some Beat Saber for a bit. In VR. Full screen that ish.

Come back in a few and tell me how you feel. 😂

I'm sure there's a good chance you'll feel fine, but man, that made me so woozy just thinking about it is making me dizzy again.

lol I actually play beat saber.

I don't really know why it's one of the games without any nausea for me. I know they can make you focus in certain ways to reduce nausea, so perhaps that's the reason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

lol I actually play beat saber.

I don't really know why it's one of the games without any nausea for me. I know they can make you focus in certain ways to reduce nausea, so perhaps that's the reason.

Seriously???? Mannn, you're lucky. I just can't watch it. The videos where someone is on screen and the action is slightly tilted on a slant are fine. But there's a video for example where everything is coming directly at YOU and it makes me want to faint, LOL.

This one. Omg. Can't. Just cannooooot.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.