New Performance Viewer Build

Alexa Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Stop it, please... You are being thick. I do no tell you how your viewer works, please don't tell me how mine has been working for the past 15 years !...

NO, my viewer DOES NOT list ANY instant message in the chat history floater. It *may* list them in the chat console in the ”IM: First Last: Text” form, but this is just a configuration option (”Preferences” -> ”IM & Logs” -> ”Include IM in chat console”, and by the way this option did exist in v1.1x viewers as well.

Ehm, thats exactly what i said. I think you didnt understand that i was talking about it being an option in the official Viewer. I said "yes, in your viewer it maybe doesnt, but im sure in the LL Viewer it did in the chat console", i thought it was obvious we were talking about the official Viewer.

Here's a full breakdown of what happened to clarify where this misunderstanding is coming from.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:05 PM, NiranV Dean said:

V1 Chat for me means a multitude of things, namely as you already said the "console" like local chat display, the horrid mix of local and IM chat in the very same console and the tabbed IM's.

My original comment and complaint about V1 chat having IM's mixed into the chat console (not the window), i know it was an option but having it mixed was the ONLY way of seeing (and reading) IMs without having the tabbed conversations window open. That's why i said V2 did this better by separating them into two different chat areas.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, Henri Beauchamp said:

This is just a configuration choice: you may perfectly keep IMs out of the chat and console (and yes, this is what I always did)... Note also that the Cool VL Viewer offers a great deal of configuration options for the chat and IM floaters (e.g. with or without a chat input line for the chat floater) and chat console.

Also, there are two kinds of ”v1 chats”: the v1.18.0 one, i.e. the ”good one” (the one I always have been using for the Cool VL Viewer) with separate Friends and Groups floaters, and no chat input line (v1 viewer have a separate chat input line, so you really do not need one in the chat floater), and the ruined v1.18.2 (first ”voice viewer”) ”chatterbox”, which is just as horrible as v2 and newer...

First part is you confirming what i already knew and wrote above and what i was complaining about.

Second part is you telling me that there is actually 2 different V1 style chats, the "good" one aka 1.18.0 and the "bad" one aka 1.18.2 and onward.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:00 PM, NiranV Dean said:

I didn't know there was 2 V1 chats. For all i care they are equally bad because my problem wasn't with the changes you describe, it was with the general way of how IM chat works (e.g tabbed IMs and the local/IM mix, which as you say could be disabled and also colored to differentiate them better, which ultimately however was just polishing a turd). I like my chats separated, that is local and IM in two entirely different corners... group is a special case, i've always simply disabled group chat because it was annoying.

Me obviously being confused that there are two V1 chats but also clarifying that the existence of 2 different V1 styles does not change my complaint since both styles have the same problem aka the only way to see IM's without the conversations window open being that you have to have IM's mixed into the local chat console. Which is what my original complaint was all about why i don't like V1 (both 1.18.0 and 1.18.2 which function exactly the same in that regard)

On 6/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, Henri Beauchamp said:

Once and for all: there is no such mix !

But better than words, here is a screen shot with a legend for the UI elements:

You apparently thinking i'm talking about your Viewer (which i wasn't because i never used it outside of a single day or two when Kirstens broke down), i was also stating in my texts that i didn't have a picture of the official Viewer (only of Kirstens Viewer and since i was talking about the official Viewer and an official feature a picture of a TPV would have meant nothing as it could have been a TPV feature)

8 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

In your Viewer. You said there is a 1.18.0 and post 1.18 V1 chat. 

It went like this:

Normal chat would be:

First Last: Text

Whereas IM's would be mixed in:

IM: First Last: Text

That's where all the fake IM text gestures come from. I saw a lot of people fall for it unless they colored IM chat (or later were using Viewer 2). I still see those gestures pop up from time to time. Don't have a picture of it (the earliest shots i still have are from 2009 which was when i switched to Kirstens Viewer and Viewer 2 already)

Me clarifying again that "in your Viewer this may not be the case" (again i don't know since i didn't really use it) but in the official Viewer it was a thing and looked like that in chat console.

7 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Stop it, please... You are being thick. I do no tell you how your viewer works, please don't tell me how mine has been working for the past 15 years !...

NO, my viewer DOES NOT list ANY instant message in the chat history floater. It *may* list them in the chat console in the ”IM: First Last: Text” form, but this is just a configuration option (”Preferences” -> ”IM & Logs” -> ”Include IM in chat console”, and by the way this option did exist in v1.1x viewers as well.

I'm not being thick you are just misunderstanding what i'm saying because i assumed it was obvious that we were talking about the official Viewer and the local chat console.

Edited by NiranV Dean

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2022 at 1:34 PM, Alexa Linden said:

Happy Friday! We've got a new Performance build out so give it a try! https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.6.0.571736.html If you see any bugs, please file a https://jira.secondlife.com so we can take a look!

Hiya

can you please add an option to change the graphics backend from opengl to D3D11

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_11

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.