Texture memory on default SL viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So i've been fiddling about with grapthic settings on different viewers and i want to use the default viewer due to how everything looks.

My only issue so far is texture blurryness/thrashing?

despite searching online on forums and such, the default viewer limits texture memory at 512MB for the 64bit viewer when this should only be for the 32bit viewer?

I would use other viewers but i don't like how bloated with features and how everything renders differently. I'm just after performence with grapthics having advanced atmosphere/lighting. i'm almost there in achieving the goal, surely there must be "that one box" or setting i've missed?

Also strangely enough, changing the time of day affects the fps by like 30? Been testing on the newbrook sims 😄

Anyone got any further tweeks?

thanks!

6aa5989d26a0b305d0c0825cf26a86e3.jpg

c597ab2b1d3dce974e8778ec96463edf.jpg

33 minutes ago, charlottethegiantess said:

So i've been fiddling about with grapthic settings on different viewers and i want to use the default viewer due to how everything looks.

My only issue so far is texture blurryness/thrashing?

despite searching online on forums and such, the default viewer limits texture memory at 512MB for the 64bit viewer when this should only be for the 32bit viewer?

Current 64-bit SL Viewer has texture memory set to max 512MB. The performance viewer, currently in the works, will let the viewer use more depending on how much is detected (possibly up to 2048 – I have not checked the details)

• Like 1

The standard viewer has never allowed this limit to be increased, that has only ever been supported in third party viewers. However, as Gavin stated, the forthcoming performance viewer update will address this. You can test the latest pre-release build of that by going to https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer.html and looking for the latest performance viewer.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

The standard viewer has never allowed this limit to be increased, that has only ever been supported in third party viewers. However, as Gavin stated, the forthcoming performance viewer update will address this. You can test the latest pre-release build of that by going to https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer.html and looking for the latest performance viewer.

Oh! That'll be very handy. I'll give it a download and test it then!

4 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Enable texture compression. That helps.

I've tried this but it makes a lot of textures blurry?

4 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Hmm...  Second Life Release 6.6.0.570163 (64bit) slider stops at "512".

I have not checked the Windows version but if you are on a Mac it will stop at 512MB because LL has not been able to figure out how to determine graphics memory on macOS.

Because Apple has deprecated OpenGL they have also more or less scrubbed all documentation on it, and there are no new documented methods for getting graphics memory from the system.  

This does of course seem outrageously annoying to developers, but Apple's rationale is not surprising given currently 99% of all new Macs shipped (soon 100%) have Unified Memory meaning the GPU has full access to all system memory which the CPU and GPU can read and write to concurrently. In such a system architecture the traditional definition of graphics memory does not make any sense at all.  It also means there is no bus the data used by the GPU needs to be transferred across, and on some of the newest machines the GPU can read memory at rates of up to 800 GB/s. 

Apple provides methods to a) determine system memory installed and b) determine if your application runs on a machine with unified memory. If you run on a machine with unified memory they have asked the developer to handle low memory situations and provides mechanisms to signal the application that memory is running low and act accordingly. 

on the Perfomance Improvement viewer this is me at Scandalize shop by the lucky boards with 4 avatars including myself

my dets

Second Life Release 6.6.0.570163 (64bit)
Release Notes

You are at 33.9, 135.5, 1,509.2 in Scandalize located at simhost-0dab8ff16094eab69.agni
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Scandalize/34/135/1509
(global coordinates 260,130.0, 282,503.0, 1,509.2)
Second Life Server 2022-04-01.570305
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3400.03 MHz)
Memory: 16318 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19043.1645)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.21.14.5671
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 456.71

Window size: 2560x1417
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 5
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
Disk cache: Max size 204.0 MB (99.8% used)

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.03
Dullahan: 1.12.3.202111032221
  CEF: 91.1.21+g9dd45fe+chromium-91.0.4472.114
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.114
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Packets Lost: 99/43,226 (0.2%)
April 26 2022 02:06:14

what Windows 10 Task Manager says

GPU.png.9075088050ebed7491ae4161301173da.png

Edited by Mollymews
lucky
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gavin Hird said:

I have not checked the Windows version but if you are on a Mac it will stop at 512MB because LL has not been able to figure out how to determine graphics memory on macOS.

Because Apple has deprecated OpenGL they have also more or less scrubbed all documentation on it, and there are no new documented methods for getting graphics memory from the system.  

This does of course seem outrageously annoying to developers, but Apple's rationale is not surprising given currently 99% of all new Macs shipped (soon 100%) have Unified Memory meaning the GPU has full access to all system memory which the CPU and GPU can read and write to concurrently. In such a system architecture the traditional definition of graphics memory does not make any sense at all.  It also means there is no bus the data used by the GPU needs to be transferred across, and on some of the newest machines the GPU can read memory at rates of up to 800 GB/s. 

Apple provides methods to a) determine system memory installed and b) determine if your application runs on a machine with unified memory. If you run on a machine with unified memory they have asked the developer to handle low memory situations and provides mechanisms to signal the application that memory is running low and act accordingly. 

Currently on the windows version myself, even the performance viewer only goes to 512

11 minutes ago, charlottethegiantess said:

Currently on the windows version myself, even the performance viewer only goes to 512

the Performance Improvement viewer 6.6.0.570163 (64bit) Texture Memory slider still says 512 max.  As Gavin mentioned and I can confirm, Windows Task Manager reports that this viewer is using up to 2048 (2GB). Which is true on my Nvidia 1050Ti (4GB) graphics card  

not sure tho what changes Linden will make to the slider reporting number before the Performance Improvement viewer is promoted to release status

I am running on Windows 11.  Login screen elements that load at launch are not loading.  Slider tops out at 512 MB.  Textures still thrash.  I think the frame-rate improvement is significant.  PCIe GPU card has 8GB on it.  Textures are still thrashing.  (And no, don't, again, suggest the GPU is a fake with only 1GB of RAM on it.  All 8GB is there and works fine.)

image.png.7b110cdd6ef34ffa9d06718fb4d4fcbc.png

When I turn on Full Res Textures all the textures clear up and Dedicated GPU memory used by SL increases.  (Don't rant at me for using this.  You are not being helpful.)

image.png.9e193c58f3ee113f6a579bb0c2831a7a.png

(You know who you are.)

52 minutes ago, Ansariel Hiller said:

Dedicated GPU memory is texture memory + FBO + VBO etc - texture memory is still capped at 512MB 😂

is good that there are people like yourself who can tell me when I am wrong

i just checked the 6.5.4.570575 (64bit)

is about the same, currently about 1750. And about 1000 when I am by myself, which is the same also as the 6.6 .xviewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.