Tidying Up Furniture

LissomePrey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I help run a group/sim where we have chairs set up in an open area for people to sit and chat. Ideally we would let people move the chairs about into circles, groups etc but the admins think the work of tidying up and getting  the chairs back in place is too onerous.

I am trying to develop a script that will return the chairs to their correct place, either if they are moved too far or at midnight each day.

Basically it is a simple flat surface that remembers its co-ordinates and rotation when I say 'FIX' in local (it then kills the listener so that location is permanently fixed).

I then need to link it with the chair, which is bought off marketplace and so non-modifiable. The chair will have a menu on touch which seems to mean that the chair must be the root prim, with my surface as a child prim.

It works perfectly for resetting the co-ordinates of the chair but it doesn't get the correct rotation for the chair itself. The child prim is rotated correctly by llSetRot but not the chair.

Is there a way to force rotation of the root prim to match that of the child prim, given that I can't do any scripting for the root prim?

It isn't a vital element but I'd love to be able to do it perfectly.

Edited by LissomePrey
incorrect function quoted

It actually does work fine apart from the rotation but maybe my explanation is poor.

I fix the correct location in my prim before linking with the chair as the root prim. If the chair was the child prim returning it to the correct position and rotation worked perfectly but I couldn't get at the chair menu. So I make the chair the root prim.

My prim then has this timer event

timer()
    {
        float newClock = llGetWallclock();
        if (newClock < savedClock)
        {
            savedClock = newClock+50.0;
            llSetRegionPos(position);
            llSetRot(rot);
        }
        else
        {
            current_position = llGetPos();    
            float distance = llSqrt(llPow((position.x-current_position.x),2.0)+llPow((position.y-current_position.y),2.0)+llPow((position.z-current_position.z),2.0));
            if (distance > 20.0)
            {
                llSetRegionPos(position);
                llSetRot(rot);
            }
        }
    }

The llSetRegionPos works fine, moving my prim and the chair to the correct co-ordinates. The llSetRot only rotates the child prom not the chair. That can be lived with (I'll just remove the llSetRot entirely) but I'd love to get it to work perfectly if there is a way to rotate both prims.

You might be able to use llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast with LINK_ROOT to set the root prim's rotation (and position for that matter).

Also: You may want to consider using llVecDist for getting the distance the chair has moved, just so clean up the code a bit.

Example:

llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_ROOT,[PRIM_POSITION,position,PRIM_ROTATION,rot]);

Edited by Jenna Huntsman

1 hour ago, Emma Krokus said:

It looks as though the chair is modifiable... as you are able to link it with the root prim?? Maybe I am missing something.

If they are mod, then I would just have them delete themselves at midnight each day and rez a fresh set?

That would certainly be the simplest solution. It beats going to all the trouble of moving and rotating all the chairs.

many items which are "no-mod" as shown in your inventory are actually modifiable, but show as no-mod because only a part of them (a specific script in its inventory for example) is no-mod.

7 hours ago, LissomePrey said:

llSetRot only rotates the child prom not the chair.

use

llSetLinkPrimitiveParams(1,[PRIM_ROTATION,rot]);

instead.

7 hours ago, LissomePrey said:

float distance = llSqrt(llPow((position.x-current_position.x),2.0)+llPow((position.y-current_position.y),2.0)+llPow((position.z-current_position.z),2.0));
            if (distance > 20.0)

use

diff = position.x-current_position.x;
float distance_squared = diff*diff;
if(distance_squared>400.0)
{ // ...
}

instead.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
minor correction and made variable names more consistant with OP.
  • Like 1

Thanks to all

It seems one particular chair doesn't react when I drop the script (I'll investigate further) in but I've now tried with another model and it works so I can scrap the child prim in that case.

I think I will still keep the child prim handy incorporating the suggested mods.

when the chairs are mod then another way is to drop our script into the root prim of the chair(s)

script listens for two commands: SAVE and RESTORE

SAVE - the current position and rotation of the chair

RESTORE - place the chair at the saved position and rotation

owner can shout these commands on a channel. Chair script(s) obeys

automagically can be, a independent controller shouts (region say) RESTORE, when none of the chairs in the controller group are being sat on

One additional comment:

llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_SET,[PRIM_POSITION,position,PRIM_ROTATION,rot]); seems to be the same as llSetPos and restricted to how far it can move the object so I have to go back to llRegionPos.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.