Hiring a Mesher [CLOTHING ONLY]

karenx0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

What would you expect from someone that looks for a MODELER but calls it MESHER? 🤣

I don't know, I kinda like the term "mesher" and think it should be adopted officially for anyone making 3D content for SL since I believe there is an important distinction to be made.

e.g. A Modeler is someone that creates 3D models, a Mesher is someone that creates 3D models and then spends hours jumping through flaming metaphorical hoops in order to make it work well within Second Life.

(similarly an Animator is someone that animates 3D models/characters, whereas an Animesher animates 3D models/characters and then spends hours contorting the default SL rig into the correct shape, retargeting bones, etc, etc.)

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 1:59 PM, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

e.g. A Modeler is someone that creates 3D models, a Mesher

This supports the assertion from @OptimoMaximo perfectly, though you intended to disagree I suppose.  I've been in the industry for more than 30 years and I can tell you that what goes into SL is rather simplistic compared to real world work associated with 3d modeling and related tasks.  I think it's mistake, and have had personal experience with this mistake,to redefine words and terms when there is no logical replacement for them, such as "rigging", which works most of the time but when it fails it fails badly.  This was the motivation for my video series on "rigging" an apple.

33 minutes ago, BinBash said:

This supports the assertion from @OptimoMaximo perfectly, though you intended to disagree I suppose.  I've been in the industry for more than 30 years and I can tell you that what goes into SL is rather simplistic compared to real world work associated with 3d modeling and related tasks.  I think it's mistake, and have had personal experience with this mistake,to redefine words and terms when there is no logical replacement for them, such as "rigging", which works most of the time but when it fails it fails badly.  This was the motivation for my video series on "rigging" an apple.

Yes, the first 8 words of my post confirmed that modellers make 3D models, I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I was disputing that as the rest of my post was mostly intended as tongue in cheek and aimed at pointing out the annoying hoops that we have to jump through in order to make content within the constraints of SLs current capabilities.

As someone who, like myself, has more than 3 decades of experience in 3D modelling I'm sure you're aware that in order to stay relevant you must continually be learning and improving and adapting to new technologies and workflows, and so are familiar with the disparities between the type of workflow currently used in most modern development scenarios when dealing with up to date platforms and that of creating content for SL, a platform which has it's own quite unique requirements.

As for redefining words, while the word mesher does have some existing definitions they're all quite obscure and none of them have any relevance to 3D modelling, so introducing it as a new term to specifically describe 3D modellers who create content for Second Life isn't going to cause any confusion (not to mention it's logical... "modelers make 3D models, meshers make SL mesh"), unless of course you have some objection to the idea of any clarifications beyond "modeller" in which case you may also want to take that up with all the people advertising their services as "digital sculptors".

Regardless of what terms we choose to adopt to refer to things, we both know from years of experience that those who are not as well-versed in the terminology of 3D modelling will sometimes use the wrong words.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Yes, the first 8 words of my post confirmed that modellers make 3D models, I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I was disputing that as the rest of my post was mostly intended as tongue in cheek and aimed at pointing out the annoying hoops that we have to jump through in order to make content within the constraints of SLs current capabilities.

As someone who, like myself, has more than 3 decades of experience in 3D modelling I'm sure you're aware that in order to stay relevant you must continually be learning and improving and adapting to new technologies and workflows, and so are familiar with the disparities between the type of workflow currently used in most modern development scenarios when dealing with up to date platforms and that of creating content for SL, a platform which has it's own quite unique requirements.

As for redefining words, while the word mesher does have some existing definitions they're all quite obscure and none of them have any relevance to 3D modelling, so introducing it as a new term to specifically describe 3D modellers who create content for Second Life isn't going to cause any confusion (not to mention it's logical... "modelers make 3D models, meshers make SL mesh"), unless of course you have some objection to the idea of any clarifications beyond "modeller" in which case you may also want to take that up with all the people advertising their services as "digital sculptors".

Regardless of what terms we choose to adopt to refer to things, we both know from years of experience that those who are not as well-versed in the terminology of 3D modelling will sometimes use the wrong words.

If you intended TIC then I'm sure I completely misunderstood your recent diatribe and, with that, there's nothing cohesive to respond to.  But I do worry that you believe you can compare your experience to mine and assert that we agree on something based on this.  But I will diverge from this off topic position that you hold and simply know that you are uncomfortable with views that disagree with yours so it won't be of any value to you to communicate in this regard, even though you appear to believe that "we" must continue to learn.

6 minutes ago, BinBash said:

If you intended TIC then I'm sure I completely misunderstood your recent diatribe and, with that, there's nothing cohesive to respond to.  But I do worry that you believe you can compare your experience to mine and assert that we agree on something based on this.  But I will diverge from this off topic position that you hold and simply know that you are uncomfortable with views that disagree with yours so it won't be of any value to you to communicate in this regard, even though you appear to believe that "we" must continue to learn.

I'm sorry, "diatribe"?

Diatribe: a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something.

What thread are you reading? 😅

As for believing we can compare our experience in the area of 3D modelling, well if you really feel so assured that you are at the pinnacle of knowledge in the field and could never hope to meet someone of similar experience then who am I to argue... congratulations, well done on your considerable accomplishment! :)

I'm always open to hearing opposing views to my own, and often welcome it because a fresh perspective is a good way to learn and learning keeps the brain active and the imagination fertile.  However if the view you're espousing is "people have to use the words I want them to use, and anyone that doesn't is wrong and should be mocked!" then I'm afraid I must, respectfully, disagree.

• Like 1

@BinBash

@fluffy sharkfin

This is a debate that I've been running for a while, and I'm quite tired of it to be honest. The problem with redefining something that has been solidly established for years is not only a source of unnecessarily generated confusion, it's mostly within the premise that SL is somewhat and somehow something special in regard of assets and workflows to allow the creation of a new word. Under this view, someone who creates things using prims should be a primmer, someone who does the same with the sculpt maps should be a sculptprimmer or a primsculpter (?), who works on textures should then be a texturer and so on. Already the term "rigger"  is an overstatement in SL, since the process of rigging in reality doesn't end at weight painting and includes so many more things, but still somewhat acceptable because the original term includes the skin weighting operation.

So forgive me if I don't agree with your view. I'll not be here boasting how many years of experience I got on games and films to say what I say, but just reading anything that isn't related to SL in all the fields regarding 3d productions of every type should clarify what I mean in the previous paragraph of this post.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

@BinBash

@fluffy sharkfin

This is a debate that I've been running for a while, and I'm quite tired of it to be honest. The problem with redefining something that has been solidly established for years is not only a source of unnecessarily generated confusion, it's mostly within the premise that SL is somewhat and somehow something special in regard of assets and workflows to allow the creation of a new word. Under this view, someone who creates things using prims should be a primmer, someone who does the same with the sculpt maps should be a sculptprimmer or a primsculpter (?), who works on textures should then be a texturer and so on. Already the term "rigger"  is an overstatement in SL, since the process of rigging in reality doesn't end at weight painting and includes so many more things, but still somewhat acceptable because the original term includes the skin weighting operation.

So forgive me if I don't agree with your view. I'll not be here boasting how many years of experience I got on games and films to say what I say, but just reading anything that isn't related to SL in all the fields regarding 3d productions of every type should clarify what I mean in the previous paragraph of this post.

That's fair enough and we can each decide on the terminology we choose to use for various things.  I think it's just personal preference how rigid we all are when it comes to using certain terms (for example the profession of "brick layer" say's nothing of all the additional work involved in the process of building a brick wall and yet seems to be the official universally accepted term).

As I already said my original post was mostly just meant in jest, with the emphasis being that creating content for SL can sometimes feel over-complicated and backward in comparison to the workflow used for other platforms.  For example, if you look at a lot of the current development platforms they're all moving toward better integration and compatibility between the software used to develop content and the environment the content is intended for,  meanwhile SL is using the collada format.

Asserting that creating content for Second Life within it's limited capabilities is at times frustrating and over-complicated doesn't equate to saying that it somehow requires additional skills that aren't necessary in other areas of the 3D industry, just that trying to incorporate a workflow that includes as much of the capabilities of modern software as SL can support is at times cumbersome and less intuitive than creating for other platforms.

Anyway, I think we've dragged this thread off-topic for long enough debating the importance of semantics, although at least in doing so we helped keep it from sliding off the first page for a while I suppose.  Hopefully the OP will find a modeler, mesher, polygonist, vertexician, triangle-wrangler or quad-slinger who can help them with their request, I doubt they'll care what they call themselves as long as they can get the job done! ;) 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.