Vintage Style Hair for 1940s Settings?

HSHPrincessofCarlisne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone; 

I'm looking for high quality vintage style hair for a 1940s setting; 

I'm not just talking about victory rolls or very basic waves. When I've looked at stores in SL specializing in period fashion and accessories, it seems the hair fits a very specific theme, such as Rosie the Riveter, or some other pin-up inspired hair, almost a stereotype. It ends up looking like a cheap costume, compared with "proper" hair from high quality makers.

For period looks, such as for the 1930s and '50s and even viking/medieval I've been wearing hairstyles from mainstream, high quality hair creators, such as DOUX, Truth Hair and eXxEsS, which often works better than finding explicitly period-specific hair from specialty shops. 

However, this can be quite difficult to find and requires a bit of digging until you find something that works well enough you can use. While I do want to find more of these hairstyles (there aren't too many) I'm wondering if any of you know anything more elaborate and fitting examples. I'm talking about sleek, intricate, finished hair; chignons and hair nets, rolls and waves too, but more authentic ones with more variety. Something that actually resembles the actual look of the period, at least in drawings and photographs.

If anybody knows of any shining examples, I would very much appreciate it!

- Charlotte Sinclair

1940s Hair.png

Edited by LottaSinclair

Wow, thank you Rowan!

I knew there would be stuff like this! That first image you posted looks a lot like the DOUX hair I used for my 1930s roleplay. It might be a bit more modernized, but it definitely has that look. 

Yes, I had known about Nylon Outfitter for some time, I had just forgotten about them; it just didn't happen to be on the top of my mind.

I wonder if there are more stores like this, a bit more specialty but very high quality. 

Some more examples from more mainstream hair creators would be great too.

Edited by LottaSinclair

3 minutes ago, LottaSinclair said:

Wow, thank you Rowan!

I knew there would be stuff like this! That first image you posted looks a lot like the DOUX hair I used for my 1930s roleplay. It definitely has that look. 

Yes, I had known about Nylon Outfitter for some time, I had just forgotten about them!

I wonder if there are more stores like this, a bit more specialty but very high quality. 

Some more examples from more mainstream hair creators would be great too.

Vanity Hair has some older styles that may work.  

This is an old old pic I did with her hair called Pin Up.

Screenshot_20220312-220842.thumb.png.7a37cd3166b72a636bb591760ba08e4d.png

Okay, after going through a few marketplace and in-world stores of popular mainstream hair creators, such as DOUX, Truth Hair, Fabia and eXxEsS I have barely been able to find any vintage style hair. 

Truth Hair seemed to have a few victory rolls, which looked nice and different to the other ones I've seen, but they're a past style now and only available to VIP group members. I'm not sure how to access their past hairstyles which they said in the mainstore that they were available at L$500 apiece only to VIP group members, but I'd like to find some more 1940s style hair beyond the usual rolls which are overdone, in my opinion. 

Elikatira also had some vintage hair that would suit the period in their collection of past styles, which don't seem available currently as they're working on their mainstore. 

Does anybody know of any more specialty stores that sell some nice looking, high quality period style hair that doesn't look comical or costume-like? I feel there's hair out there somewhere, and it may have been more popular or prevalent in SL back in the day. 

Snapshot_008.thumb.png.1cec548bb40fdef88fac7ec93d8a81e2.png

Edited by LottaSinclair

Thank you so very much everyone for your suggestions. I've tried them all out; although I prefer the more realistic look of Truth Hair than the fun, plastic look of Nylon Outfitters.

Does anybody know of any long vintage hairstyles or updos? It's mostly medium-length waves or rolls I've seen, and I usually have quite longer hair, or hair done up. 

Edited by LottaSinclair

14 hours ago, LottaSinclair said:

Thank you so very much everyone for your suggestions. I've tried them all out; although I prefer the more realistic look of Truth Hair than the fun, plastic look of Nylon Outfitters.

Does anybody know of any long vintage hairstyles or updos? It's mostly medium-length waves or rolls I've seen, and I usually have quite longer hair, or hair done up. 

Try enVOGUE too, they have a few vintage styles.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.