Is this possible? Something like Musical Chairs.

plushsanchez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I want to first see if this concept is even possible to do.  I'm looking for a HUD or some kind of script that can mimic musical chairs.  I had a game/contest of Musical Blunts. Basically the blunt is passed around in the club, and when the music stops whoever has the blunt, wins. I did this manually. People would drag and drop the blunt in someone else's profile box. Problem was, sometimes a person is AFK or not playing at all. This is in a club with over 70 people.

I want the script to keep track of the blunt. If a blunt is passed to someone who is unavailable/AFK/not playing...the blunt is passed to the next person.  Also, would be nice if people can sign up/touch a board OR get a HUD, that way we know who is actually going to participate.  Having something above the head and/or attach the blunt to their mouth would be nice.

If anyone think this is possible please respond.  If so, I would like to see about hiring someone to do it.  I need it by April.

Replicating what is essentially a game of inventory hot potato poses an interesting problem: namely once an object is given to an avatar, it's effectively off any detectable radar. Scripts cannot see into an agent's inventory, nor can they run while their host object is in an inventory. There's also the matter of scripts not being able to cause a worn object to drop on the ground - which would be necessary if you wanted the object itself to jump from one avatar's possession to another (nevermind permissions or blocking/ignoring of requests).

If every participant was wearing a HUD, that would simplify things. Firstly, the dispenser would have easy access to a list of everyone who joined the game. And you could have the game scripted in such a way as to pass the object not to an avatar, but to their HUD instead. Though to do this, you'd need to write logic for letting avatars pick targets through their HUD instead of just dropping inventory onto a random target. This target selection could take into account the active players known to the dispenser as well as filter out those who are away/busy.

Going one step further, the HUD could instead be the worn prop, temp attached and invisible until the owner is chosen to be the current "it". At that point, all you need is a communication protocol between the attachments for letting one effectively "tag" someone else. This would also allow you to work around edge cases where someone is tagged, but they remove the attachment or leave the area while still being "it". You could have the attachment send out a short signal to the dispenser which would in turn randomly pick a new person from its internal list. You can also have a failsafe timer where if no action happens within a set time, the system automatically tags a new person.

Just as a matter of how to do it, I don't think you need a HUD, just an giver object, and visible temporary attached versions. someone does something to get the first copy and starts the game, whenever the thing is attached to someone, it gives them a menu of the nearest few people. they pick a person and their object detaches, and the giver object gives a temp attach( rez and send a message to it of who to attach to) to the selected person. the giver object also deals with the countdown, declares the last person the winner.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 2

i think this game is a good fit for an Experience

the Experience would make auto detach/attach between players fairly straight-forward

Experience KVP can keep track of who has had the blunt, and who is yet to receive it

the game object could be a visible blunt attach to mouth, and a largish linked invisible sphere (touch my own head to get the game menu dialog)

dialog menu giving a Nearby list of people in Experience

to deal with AFK players then there can be a time-limit, after say 3 minutes then automagically give (attach) the blunt to somebody else  

I like the realism of the wearer getting a dialog to choose among the nearest few people (one-time llSensor for the automatic sorting by proximity) excluding the most recent recipients and any who llGetAgentInfo finds unresponsive (AGENT_AWAY, AGENT_BUSY, AGENT_SCRIPTED). Presumably the list would be generated some time after the item is attached, to suggest a kind of passing etiquette, and if the wearer doesn't choose who gets an offer within some interval the attachment detaches and the dispenser starts again, preferably trying someone from that sensor-populated list or at least someone who hasn't been offered recently. Offers, too, would only be valid for some interval, then maybe the dispenser tries another possible recipient, or if there's still a wearer they could be asked to choose again but that sounds almost as annoying as real life.

[ETA: Also exclude from the list anybody who has rejected an offer before with a definitive "Don't Smoke" response.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
passive voice confusing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.