Removed product listings

Tungsten Engineer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have two products that show as removed and display this message

"Removed under our Marketplace Listing Guidelines for Item Not As Advertised-Incorrect Listing Category. "

Nothing in these listings violated any of the terms, and the description was not misleading. Can someone tell me how it is determined that something will be removed? is this what happens when a user flags an item? This is incredibly annoying because it won't even let me easily relist or edit the description.

You're probably going to have to send a ticket to the support team to figure out what the problem is. 

Do you know how to do that?

Yeah, another user flagged your products.

You can probably just choose another category right now and get it back up again real quick.  Try that.  But since you came into forum to get help, you're going to have people watching you now.  Sorry.

That notice often means that LL has determined that your product should have been categorized as an Adult item instead of a General or Mature item.  It can be very frustrating to try and figure out why the determination was made, probably automatically and probably by a parser that has been trained to look for questionable words or phrases.  The problem is, no one knows what those phrases are.  Sometimes they can even be character strings in an otherwise innocuous word.  All I can suggest is that you start going through your add copy and removing words that look even vaguely questionable until you find the one that tripped the censor.

Incidentally, images can trip it too. If you have a photo that shows any portion of a female nipple, for example, that will be a red flag for the system. 

I suggest that you read the definitive guidelines at https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines for more information.

I'm probably naive, but I suspect that a user flag does little more than trip an automatic double-check through LL's parser.  Considering the very large number of items listed in Marketplace and the rather small staff that LL has for handling these things, I can't imagine that they have the human resources to handle these reviews manually unless there's evidence of some truly egregious misbehavior.  In fact, my bet -- again perhaps naively -- is that you weren't tripped up by a user complaint at all but by a routine scan of the automated system.

Tungsten Engineer wrote:

I'm not worried about being watched, because I'm not trying to get away with anything. I've had LL automatically change ratings, but it's never removed a listing before. So a user can seriously flag an item and it gets removed without LL checking it out first?

They claim they have a Product Listing Review Team (or something) that looks over flagged items and gives the "go" or not on whether the item is delisted due to something incorrect, or if the flag complaint is ignored. But, eh, personally I think it's an automated system of sorts they may glance at every now and then. I don't know, it just seems,  on observation, that as soon as an item is flagged, that item is delisted, no middle-man (maybe you're just waiting for the 'reviewer' and it delists it as a precaution, whatever). The only thing you can do when you're a victim of someone gaming the system and getting your items taken down is to contact LL via support ticket and ask them who is smoking what and if you can borrow some, since it's obviously the good stuff. :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

LoveAngeL Lyre wrote:

Hello Tungsten. You must to submit a ticket and LL will make them again available for you to list them in the right category.

Don't  relist again your products, if i am right, it is against the Marketplace TOS and a reason for ban from Marketplace.

He could make active again the item (not reslist it) in other category, just check there is no new subcategory for your item, cause they are creating new ones. They can flag an item in a main category when the item belongs to a subcategory ;-)

Every now and then I list, say, a kitchen in the dining room category or something like that. They tell me they delisted it for that reason, I go put it in the right category and relist it.  I don't think there is a grand conspiracy of competitors monitoring my listings -- just someone noticed it was in the wrong place. Not a big deal (there are plenty of big deals to fret about, for sure, but this is not one of them).

There are too many products for LL for it to be at all cost effective for them to be at all proactive about product categories, and I don't blame them for leaving it up to users.

The item was almost certainly removed because someone decided to flag it. Probably a competitor.

In my experience, it is sufficient to notify LL of the spurious flag and relist the item with a message in the first part of the description notifying potential flaggers that flagging the item may draw immediate disciplinary action from LL.

Wasn't implying that you were trying to get away with anything.  You probably just put into a category that was most likely to sell the product....right?

Well, we can't always do that.  (not sure why)

If you submit a ticket, they will tell you how they want you to sell your product.  (not sure how they know this)

Tungsten Engineer wrote:

I have two products that show as removed and display this message

"Removed under our
for Item Not As Advertised-Incorrect Listing Category. "

Nothing in these listings violated any of the terms, and the description was not misleading. Can someone tell me how it is determined that something will be removed? is this what happens when a user flags an item? This is incredibly annoying because it won't even let me easily relist or edit the description.

I'd advise you read this thread: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Why-does-SL-de-list-from-the-Market-Place/td-p/871081

Paying particular attention to the replies from Dakota Linden with useful information on how the flagging / delisting process works, and how to fix issues if you item has been delisted.

There is some debate surronding this, sometimes heated, so it's up to you which sides of the debate on this you believe. In short though, if you want to get it sorted, the best thing to do is to probably have a look at the 'official' word from Dakota and take it from there, which probably means submitting a ticket asking for clarification on where you should list the item. Once you get that confirmation you can get it relisted in a category that has been directly suggested by LL and therefore hopefully not have to worry about it again :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.