Viewing Alphas on Plants and other Decor

JoJo Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah, this pops up occasionally and has been an intermittent problem for a really long time. Here's a thread I started about it back in 2015. Whirly made a jira around that time, and several related ones were created since then.

The problem arises when a viewer logged-in by an account with modify permission on the affected surfaces somehow triggers the server to do something crazy to them. As far as any of us have observed, there's nothing the user does to make it happen, nor anything they can do to prevent it.

This is superstitious and probably coincidental, but I think I've most often observed it following something like cache corruption when the viewer displays textures (on other, unrelated surfaces) in wild rainbow-colored patterns until a relog. I suspect, then, that both phenomena are related to a momentary network disruption, but this is all pure speculation.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JoJo Aurelia said:

Thanks. It just started. So will visitors see it too? I'll ck the alpha tab too. Going to double ck it it's one designer issue. Thanks you guys are great. 

Assuming it's the same bug, yeah, everybody will see it the same, but it's easy enough to fix: it should only affect modifiable objects, so they can be selected in the Build Tool, the specific affected Face selected, and then the "Alpha mode" switched to "Alpha masking" with some sensible "Mask cutoff" value (which it probably will have pre-set once the "None" mode isn't selected anymore). Pretty sure you already know all that, but here's a picture anyway:

1174836411_Screenshot2021-12-17141945.png.d465d46e09cb189daae36ffefbe7d78e.png

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I am so happy to have found this old thread. All of my almost 16 years in SL, this is the first time I have ever had this issue. I was in panic mode as this is a new laptop and I was worried that all of a sudden something was very wrong with my graphics card. After spending over a hour checking everything on my system and checking for updates, I logged back in to find still the same problem. Then I found this thread, I clicked everything with the issue to blending, then back to Alpha masking and noticed the mask cutoff was zero, set it all back to 100 and all fixed. Also this happened after the rolling restarts. I know it is old, but seriously thanks for this thread guys.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.