Question, issue logging in.

Chase01

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all xD

I hadn't logged into SL for some time and earlier today I decided to login and say hi to some old friends. Everything seemed fine and then I logged out. Tonight (a few min ago), I tried logging in and I am getting the "there is an issue with your inventory, please logout and if the issue persists contact support" ... (something close to that) Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? I put in a support ticket but haven't heard back yet. Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Chase01 said:

How can I clear my viewer cache when I can't use anything on my HUD on login?

On the login/splash screen there should be tabs at the top left corner of the viewer to access preferences.

If clearing cache doesn't help, there might be a problem with either contents outside of your Library folder or you might have a large, flat inventory, both of which Support might be able to help with.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

After updating to 6.5.1.566335 (64bit) I noticed some of my inventory folders were empty. I cleared cache from the menu and re-logged and got the below error message like OP.
1097096230_Screenshot2021-12-29233423.png.b7124466590c7e53d15d7d5e6ba3051d.png

Tried other viewers and had no issues logging in and no inventory problems.
Tried the official viewer again on separate days, same issue.
Tried manual removing the ..\AppData\Local\SecondLife folder and the issue persisted.
Like the OP I uninstalled the Official viewer and manual deleted/archived all AppData folders and Application folder and did a clean install. Viewer works fine now.
I restored my ..\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife folder to get all my settings and chat logs back and the viewer still works. So I assume maybe a corrupt upgrade?

Of note though this release does include this in the notes.

Release Notes
Combined release of DRTVWR-519 (Simplified Cache) and DRTVWR-534 (360 Capture).

This version of the viewer replaces the VFS cache system used to save local copies of frequently used assets such as meshes, sounds and animations with a simplified cache.

There should be no user facing differences and your Second Life experience should be identical to other versions.

7 minutes ago, Zindonas Loxingly said:

After updating to 6.5.1.566335 (64bit) I noticed some of my inventory folders were empty. I cleared cache from the menu and re-logged and got the below error message like OP.
1097096230_Screenshot2021-12-29233423.png.b7124466590c7e53d15d7d5e6ba3051d.png

Tried other viewers and had no issues logging in and no inventory problems.
Tried the official viewer again on separate days, same issue.
Tried manual removing the ..\AppData\Local\SecondLife folder and the issue persisted.
Like the OP I uninstalled the Official viewer and manual deleted/archived all AppData folders and Application folder and did a clean install. Viewer works fine now.
I restored my ..\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife folder to get all my settings and chat logs back and the viewer still works. So I assume maybe a corrupt upgrade?

Of note though this release does include this in the notes.

Firestorm wiki says:

On rare occasions, inventory can become corrupted. Symptoms of this include:

• only one account is affected;
  • you get an error saying that “You cannot remove protected categories”;
  • you will not receive folders given to you by others (however, single items will be received);
  • you will crash or disconnect at login, usually around “Downloading clothing…”;
  • Reinstalling the viewer, clearing cache, replacing outfit on a non-COF viewer will not help.

These issues seem to occur immediately after grid problems affecting inventory. So if you start having problems immediately after a grid outage, then your problem may fall into one of the cases above.

In these cases, you will need to contact SL Support in order to have your inventory repaired. However, before doing so, please be sure to verify that you have the same problem with the official SL Viewer. SL Support may not be willing to assist if you do not state that you have the problem with that viewer.

inventory_corruption [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

On 12/30/2021 at 5:27 PM, Zindonas Loxingly said:

The cache directory is typically in AppData\Local so yeah, probably wiping all that made the difference. (The viewer isn’t very thorough when told to clear cache on next login.) The ”corrupt upgrade” might be a flaw in the new cache code (I think the earlier “project” version of this viewer had issues), maybe migration from an old installation (if it even tries to do that). So it may bear some monitoring to see if incidents like this keep arising.

I don’t keep track of TPV releases but I’d guess they mostly haven’t yet pulled in the new 360 snapshot nor the updated cache code, so if there’s a problem, it’ll get real visible as other viewers update.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.