Flickr photos coming out grayish/greenish on mobile

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I would experiment with the DPI settings. 300 is rather high and MAY be the cause of this.

Ah,hopefully!While researching sizes some people used this size but didn't mention what resolution. I'll lower to 75 and post that one and see what it looks like. thanks!
Edited to say..no, unfortunately still looks the same. Now I'm wondering what version other people are seeing 😞

Does her gown look bright pink to you? Maybe it's just the difference between my 4k monitor and mobile phone viewing.

Edited by Amberyl Ethaniel
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

Ah,hopefully!While researching sizes some people used this size but didn't mention what resolution. I'll lower to 75 and post that one and see what it looks like. thanks!
Edited to say..no, unfortunately still looks the same. Now I'm wondering what version other people are seeing 😞

Does her gown look bright pink to you? Maybe it's just the difference between my 4k monitor and mobile phone viewing.

Alright, so DPI made no change. It was my first thought because it looked so high to me. 
After you had posted your initial response I remembered something about color spaces on Android, so I Googled it and saw that Android only really supports the sRGB colorspace. iOS uses sRGB as standard as well, but PCs and other desktop computers can use a variety of color spaces.
So perhaps try converting the image's color space to sRGB before uploading it and see if that makes a difference.

I tried to come up with an explanation of what color space is and what it does but I failed miserably, so I will include this Wikipedia link instead. Note that this is not just for you, but also for anyone else who may read this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space

EDIT: The gown looks powder pink to me and the colors nice and vibrant, but the luminance on the pic from your mobile looks considerably lower resulting in a more muted effect.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
Forgot to answer your question

Ok, so I've narrowed it down..hopefully someone has a fix.
The image of any size and either .jpg or .png look great in PS and if I just look at a thumbnail of the photo.

I emailed it to myself it looks fine
When I post it, whether to Flickr, or Discord it looks grayish green.
Going to look at the image on my sons computer and see what he sees but for now I am at a loss.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Alright, so DPI made no change. It was my first thought because it looked so high to me. 
After you had posted your initial response I remembered something about color spaces on Android, so I Googled it and saw that Android only really supports the sRGB colorspace. iOS uses sRGB as standard as well, but PCs and other desktop computers can use a variety of color spaces.
So perhaps try converting the image's color space to sRGB before uploading it and see if that makes a difference.

I tried to come up with an explanation of what color space is and what it does but I failed miserably, so I will include this Wikipedia link instead. Note that this is not just for you, but fo anyone else who may read this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space

That was it!!!! I had PS set to CYMK for prints I was doing, and I guess that is the default for new images I have set. WHEW. Thank you SO much. I would have never figured this out.

Screenshot_20211028-115055_Flickr[1].jpg

• Like 1

It's possible it's less to do with the size of the image and more to do with the colour tuning of the monitor in your phone and your PC monitor being different. It's a common issue in the printing business. People send digital pictures to a printer, the pictures get printed and the customer gets mad because 'the colours are off!'.

A friend of mine is an RL photographer and she often complains about that, and has a few times tried to explain the 'standard' colour setup (I don't remember much of it other than that she prefers Mac to PC because they're somehow closer to correct or something). Either way, she has told me that in the end I shouldn't worry about it; I can't control how other people see my pictures (much like how you can't control which WL  or settings people use in their viewers when looking at your avi) - and without comparing to what you see, others are unlikely to notice that the colour is slightly more or less in either direction than what you intended

• 3 weeks later...

You are dealing with "monitor color calibration" or some call it display or screen color calibration.

Resolution doesn't affect color. It does sharpen or blur.

If you haven't calibrated your PC's monitor, then we can't know if what you are seeing on it is the problem. Or if the mobile has the problem. In fact no one can tell if we are seeing what you are seeing on your PC. Every monitor is different. Factory calibration is usually close enough that we get by.

The image has digital colors. The images do not change as we move them from device to device. The devices display them differently because they do color corrections on the way to the display screen. The image has a Color Space or Profile setting in the file. All display devices have a natural color space. The designers include a color profile so the computer can adjust to the display pigments and LEDs used to produce something like a "normal" look. In desktop monitors the color profile can be changed in the computer.

Those of us that print commercial art work to paper deal with monitor or aka screen calibration. We learn how flaky things are.

You can learn how to color calibrate your Android display screen here: https://phoneia.com/en/how-to-calibrate-the-colors-of-the-screen-of-a-mobile-android/

Color calibrate Windows 10: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-calibrate-your-pcs-monitor-windows-10

Those two will get you the basic stuff and are good enough for hobby and casual use. But there are professional calibration tools (US$1,400).

And to complete the complications of color matching their is your image editor. It too has calibration settings.

All of these settings have to be coordinated via professional calibration tools for professional work. For hobby and recreational work we can eyeball the settings for all of these and get close enough.

There are color calibration images available online. Use one of those across your devices to adjust your color settings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 889 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.