Can Someone Explain The Pros vs Cons of Deeding Land to a Group?

BobCates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently dipped my toe in the water as for setting up a building for a group which I had created before, and last night bought the land  that the building is on (was previously renting).   A concept/term that I've come across is "deeding land to a group".

Can someone explain to me why one would want to deed land to a group and the pros vs cons?  Am I missing someone out if I do not or would that just add a level of complexity?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Let me see if I can explain it.  It's not as hard as it seems.

When you go premium, you get an allowance of 1024sm of land.  You can get a Linden home or use it on 1024sm of land on the mainland.  A group can also own land but the members of that group have to donate some or all of that 1024sm to the group.   That is called "tier"  As long as the group has enough tier donated by it's members, it can own that much land.  When you deed land to a group, you are essentially giving your land to the group.  When deeding land to a group there is a checkbox you can tick that says use deed as contribution or something like that.  That means you are giving that land and tier to the group.

A group also get a %10 land bonus which means the group gets %10 more tier than is actually donated by it's members so if you donate 1024 to the group, the group actually gets 1126 sm worth of tier.

Besides the 10% tier bonus, group-deeded land also permits finer-grained control of permissions you can grant other group members to do stuff on the land. Much of the "Abilities" that can be set for different "Roles" of a group are about those land-related permissions.

In practice, this can be useful for running a group-operated venue, or for renting out Mainland parcels, each with their own unique land ownership group, to give the tenants almost as much control of their rental as they can have on an Estate.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BobCates said:

Thanks for the helpful explanations.  Once an owner deeds land to a group, I assume there is no turning back?  As in can't revert back being the sole owner again?

Yes you can get the land back. Just sell the land back to yourself.  Make sure you have the tier personally covered first though because if you own more land than you have tier, even if for only a minute or two, you'll be charged for a months worth of the next tier level.  The group has a couple days leeway in this in that a group can own more land than it has tier for about 48 hours before LL will charge you for it.  Personal tier levels do not have this leeway.  If you want that 1024 back from the group, first remove a 1024 tier contribution from the group then sell the land back to yourself.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, BobCates said:

For the time being, I'm not going to do any deeding to group.  But thanks for the explanations and discussion.

No problem.  I hope I didn't confuse you more than you were already....LOL  If you need more help, reach out here or in-world and I'll be happy to help you out.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TT120 said:

No problem.  I hope I didn't confuse you more than you were already....LOL  If you need more help, reach out here or in-world and I'll be happy to help you out.

Quite the opposite.  I found the discussion very informative.

• Like 5

• Moles
10 hours ago, TT120 said:

Yes you can get the land back. Just sell the land back to yourself.  Make sure you have the tier personally covered first though because if you own more land than you have tier, even if for only a minute or two, you'll be charged for a months worth of the next tier level.  The group has a couple days leeway in this in that a group can own more land than it has tier for about 48 hours before LL will charge you for it.  Personal tier levels do not have this leeway.  If you want that 1024 back from the group, first remove a 1024 tier contribution from the group then sell the land back to yourself.

Also be sure you don't grant the ability in the group to set group land for sale to anyone whom you don't trust implicitly with that power. They can just as easily set it for sale to themselves and take the land for themselves, and there is no redress. You granted them that power, so they did not do anything against the TOS. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

Also be sure you don't grant the ability in the group to set group land for sale to anyone whom you don't trust implicitly with that power. They can just as easily set it for sale to themselves and take the land for themselves, and there is no redress. You granted them that power, so they did not do anything against the TOS. 

Pssssstt !!! 

🧁

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2021 at 10:46 PM, BobCates said:

Quite the opposite.  I found the discussion very informative.

Put only yourself and your alts on the job of deeding, holding, parceling, selling etc land. And even they may not be trustworthy. Don't forget to watch them to make sure their payment forms are valid, etc.

If you have a premium account with 1024 m included, and you opt to go up to the 4096 tier (land credit) level, that gives you 5120 m2, which then generates another 512 m "for free" in the group, i.e. tier that can cover more land, should you decide to buy it. That's handy if you want to buy more prims. But you should bother with this only if there is abandoned land or land for sale on the sim where you are where this will be applicable.

Of course, once you make a land group to put land in, you can put that group anywhere. So that 512 you now have -- you could buy yourself a little spot on another sim if you wanted a getaway or wanted to start an outpost to see how the sim does, i.e. where everything is for sale, or various sketchy things are happening.

If there is just you and a partner, and you don't really want much land, then grouping doesn't make that much sense. There is more I could explain about groups as they get larger and larger and lag and become inoperable -- forcing yet more groups -- but unless you're running a community or a rentals company, that shouldn't be an issue for you.

When you deed your land and group it, then if you have media, you have to deed that media to the group. Think of the land has having become collectivized, and now property that changes features of the land, like changing the media stream, have to be collectivized, too. You have to buy it back from yourself to undeed it. If you return a non-transfer item from group land, it is destroyed, so don't do that. Why? The server doesn't know what to do with collectivized items. It can sort out to return to an original owner when on transfer, but not non-transfer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.