My animesh critter won't look at me

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

and I can't understand why.

The animesh NPC calls llWanderWithin.    While it's wandering, something happens to attract its attention, and I want it to stop and look at whatever that might be.

This should do the trick, I would have thought, and it does stop it, start the stand animation and gives the expected debug message with the correct rotation, but it refuses to turn.

faceTarget(key id){
    kTarget = id;
    llExecCharacterCmd(CHARACTER_CMD_SMOOTH_STOP, []);
    lTemp = llGetObjectDetails(kTarget, [OBJECT_POS,OBJECT_ROT]);
    playObjectAnim(strStandAnim);//simple userfunction to start new anim and stop old one

vTargetPos = llList2Vector(lTemp, 0);
    rTargetRot = llList2Rot(lTemp,1);
    vPos= llGetPos();
    rRot = llGetRot();

rotation r = llRotBetween(<1,0,0>,llVecNorm(<vTargetPos.x - vPos.x,vTargetPos.y - vPos.y,0.0>));
    debugSay("turning to face "+(string)r);
    //llSetRot(r);
    llRotLookAt(r, fStrength, fDamping);
}

Either llSetRot or llRotLookAt should turn it, I'd have thought, but neither do,  and I've tried a whole range of values for strength and damping.

What am I doing wrong, or is there something else I should try?    Is there something clever I can do with llNavigateTo or llPursue or something?  

IIRC, setrot nor lookat work on objects set as pf characters. I haven't tested that in a while, but remember me griping about something similar.

I guess it's the physics flag itself.

I think my gripe was I couldn't aesthetically turn physics off/on to make use of rotlookat in between as it would stop velocity/motion.

I think I didn't want the script to have to do the grunt work of calculating and updating a KF motion constantly as an alternative.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Thanks 1

I've tried sleeping the script but the only way I've found so far to get this to work is to call llDeleteCharacter in the main script and then send a link message to a helper script, which reads the target's position and turns to face them.     It doesn't work (or not with any value for llSleep() I've tried) in the main script.

I feel as if there's something obvious I must be missing -- it can't be an usual requirement, I'd have thought, that a pathfinding character turns to face in a particular direction, and  having to delete the character, only to re-create it after asking a separate script to rotate the object, seems a bit clunky, so say the least.

Isn't there a better way to do it?

i'm testing with this, and it seems to work ok?...

llExecCharacterCmd(CHARACTER_CMD_STOP, []); 
  llPursue(llDetectedKey(0), [PURSUIT_OFFSET, <-2.0, 0.0, 0.0>, PURSUIT_FUZZ_FACTOR, 0.2]);
  llSleep(1.0); // just enuff time to spin about & face  a target
  llSleep(5.0); // stare at the target a bit
  doStuff();   // continue on

• Thanks 2

On 10/20/2021 at 5:14 PM, Xiija said:

i'm testing with this, and it seems to work ok?...

llPursue(llDetectedKey(0), [PURSUIT_OFFSET, <-2.0, 0.0, 0.0>, PURSUIT_FUZZ_FACTOR, 0.2]);
  llSleep(1.0); // just enuff time to spin about & face  a target
  llSleep(5.0); // stare at the target a bit
  doStuff();   // continue on

Thanks.   I've played with this but I'm finding that triggering the turn in a separate script works more reliably for what I'm trying to do here, so I think I'll stick with that.

Thanks too, to my friend @Rolig Loon, who reminded me of Void Singer's uSteppedRotLookAt routine, which turns the NPC very smoothly.

I still think we should be able to to use llMoveToTarget() and llRotLookAt() with an active pathfinding character state for more precise influence/control.

Pathfinding characters use "resilient" deflectors instead of the physics shape(s) of the links and, unlike regular physics state, allow >32 links so exotic characters can be created.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.