Missing items...

Baiphen Quintessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My sister and  I both abandoned our last home without taking everything with us. Little things that we just overlooked. But they never showed up in our Lost and Found. In fact nothing is showing up there. The file icon has a question mark on it. Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried the Clear Cache but it isn't helping. What are we doing wrong?

16 answers to this question

Nope, if you Abandoned a Mainland parcel, then all your items were sent back to you. I was thinking of the case where you sold the land to a new owner.

As others have said, they will appear in your inventory as a "coalesced object". It will have the inventory symbol of a little stack of cubes. It may have the name of any one of the objects in it, including the ever-popular "Object". It should appear in your Lost and Found folder, but could possibly be elsewhere.

To rez a coalesced object, go to a sandbox region. Rez a platform near the center of the sandbox and loft it up a ways. Open your Edit window, so that all the objects will be selected as soon as they are rezzed. Then drag the object from your inventory and rez it on the platform. All the objects should appear in the relative positions they were in when they were on your land. (This is why it's recommended to rez it near the center of the sandbox and up in the air, so nothing tries to rez underground or beyond the sandbox borders.)

• Like 1

Probably nothing.   If the owner returned all your stuff, it's probably packaged in a single coalesced object.  Look in the RECENT tab in inventory for an object with a symbol next to it that looks like a small stack of boxes.

Then go to an empty sandbox and rez it way out near the middle.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Probably nothing.   If the owner returned all your stuff, it's probably packaged in a single coalesced object.  Look in the RECENT tab in inventory for an object with a symbol next to it that looks like a small stack of boxes.

Then go to an empty sandbox and rez it way out near the middle.

I did try that. After looking in the what little I had in my lost and found and then checking to see if maybe they were replaced in my normal inventory I thought to check in the Recent tab. I had been shopping so I was going in and out of it anyway. But it's been two days and still nothing. And the little question mark on my Inventory Tab won't go away either. Thank you for your help. You're a doll. 

44 minutes ago, Baiphen Quintessa said:

I did try that. After looking in the what little I had in my lost and found and then checking to see if maybe they were replaced in my normal inventory I thought to check in the Recent tab. I had been shopping so I was going in and out of it anyway. But it's been two days and still nothing. And the little question mark on my Inventory Tab won't go away either. Thank you for your help. You're a doll. 

You mentioned clearing cache but did you clear Inventory cache?

To be honest Rowan I couldn't even FIND the inventory cache. I had wen through some of the older posts bout missing inventory and had followed everything I could find. I wanted to try everything before I brought my question here. I have the SL viewer and someone had said they had had to delete it and redownload it...Is that a viable option? 

1 hour ago, Baiphen Quintessa said:

To be honest Rowan I couldn't even FIND the inventory cache. I had wen through some of the older posts bout missing inventory and had followed everything I could find. I wanted to try everything before I brought my question here. I have the SL viewer and someone had said they had had to delete it and redownload it...Is that a viable option? 

Should be in preferences under network/files on Firestorm.  Right near the normal clear cache.

If you're on the Official viewer, I have no clue.

It's possible that your inventory problem and your missing items are completely unrelated.

Unless the new land owner has returned your objects, either by autoreturn or by manually selecting them and returning them, they are most likely still on the land.  Go back there and use World/Area Search to find any objects that belong to you, and Take them.

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's possible that your inventory problem and your missing items are completely unrelated.

Unless the new land owner has returned your objects, either by autoreturn or by manually selecting them and returning them, they are most likely still on the land.  Go back there and use World/Area Search to find any objects that belong to you, and Take them.

Oh, Lindal, I wish that was true. But I was on the land when it happened. It was so odd. I was sitting outside my home showing my sister how to abandon her house and didn't realize I had hit the abandon land button myself. When I pulled my camera back I noticed that all my furniture was gone except for the chair I was sitting on. As soon as I stood the chair disappeared and it's actually the only piece of furniture that appeared in my lost and found. I've been looking for my other pieces ever since. I can't tell you how many times I look up "sofa" or "bed" or whatever is missing in the hopes it will pop up. Or look into the bundle itself that the individual items came with. And my sister is having the same problem too. All of her items have disappeared as well. I'll totally try your idea though. It's the only thing I haven't tried. Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Nope, if you Abandoned a Mainland parcel, then all your items were sent back to you. I was thinking of the case where you sold the land to a new owner.

As others have said, they will appear in your inventory as a "coalesced object". It will have the inventory symbol of a little stack of cubes. It may have the name of any one of the objects in it, including the ever-popular "Object". It should appear in your Lost and Found folder, but could possibly be elsewhere.

To rez a coalesced object, go to a sandbox region. Rez a platform near the center of the sandbox and loft it up a ways. Open your Edit window, so that all the objects will be selected as soon as they are rezzed. Then drag the object from your inventory and rez it on the platform. All the objects should appear in the relative positions they were in when they were on your land. (This is why it's recommended to rez it near the center of the sandbox and up in the air, so nothing tries to rez underground or beyond the sandbox borders.)

OMG!!!!! You're a Goddess! You're an angel! I swear, if I ever bump into you  inworld I'm planting the biggest kiss on you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I GOT MY STUFF BACK!!! (Figured I should clarify, just in case.) Thank you for everything. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Awww.... we're cool, Lindal.  I'm really glad this all worked out.  Teamwork.  ;) 

OMG! I'm so sorry...I did not mean to offend you. I When you said stacked boxes I was literally looking for a stack of boxes. I was stressed I didn't use my head. You're getting smooches too, I swear I'll actually read my words better and not get so freaked out over little things. You're an absolute doll too. (And your avi is really pretty)

• Like 2

Now I feel awkward.  I wasn't fishing; I was just being silly with Lindal.  She and I have been at this, responding to posts in Answers, for many years.  Sometimes I post something clearer/faster than she does. Very often (like this time) it's the other way around.  It's kind of like playing tag, but the goal is to be sure that YOU win.  As you did.  ;) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Now I feel awkward.  I wasn't fishing; I was just being silly with Lindal.  She and I have been at this, responding to posts in Answers, for many years.  Sometimes I post something clearer/faster than she does. Very often (like this time) it's the other way around.  It's kind of like playing tag, but the goal is to be sure that YOU win.  As you did.  ;) 

Don't feel awkward. You were a massive help to me and you deserve my praise and my sloppy kisses because without the two of you I never would have gotten my stuff.  And when my sister finally gets back inworld she now knows how to get her stuff. Thank you!!!!! I don't know how many really appreciate you two for being able to pass along your knowledge base. I mean I've been off and on SL for years and had to look up how to rez anything on a sandbox because I've never had to before. You're amazing!!!! *air hugs*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.