How can I change the default position of my camera?

Majorino Topaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It didn't use to be like this. It now looks down towards the ground so much that I can't really see what's in front of me as I walk around. I have to keep stopping to adjust my camera nd look around. I also can't seem to fly strait since this change, always flying angled upward and forward and I just press forward.

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/getting-started-in-second-life/#Preferences

Down at the bottom of the Advanced menu is a thing that says ‘Show Debug Settings’ – click that.

CameraOffsetDefault (In Viewer 1 based viewers, including TPVs like Ascent/Phoenix/Imprudence)
CameraOffsetRearView (In Viewer 2 including TPVs such as Kirstens, Starlight and Catznip)
X: -2.000
Y: -0.400 (Make positive for a left shoulder view or keep 0.000 for a centred view.)
Z: -0.200

This will make SL look a heck of a lot more like a 3D world looks in most games – which allow for objects to not seem as cramped as they tend to in Second Life.

Those numbers come from Penny Patton

As for picking which camera you look through, look for the 'eyeball' icon on the view window. Click it and pick between front, rear, and side.

• Like 1

First, make sure you'e not wearing some sort of scripted attachment that is affecting your camera. If this was a sudden change and you've no idea what caused it, that is the most likely culprit.

The thing to know about **bleep** Catnap's suggestion is that CameraOffset is only one of two settings you need to change for moving your camera around.

Here's a thread going into detail about both CameraOffset and FocusOffset. Why two settings? It helps to think of them like two tacks on a corkboard with a string tied between them. One tack is the camera, the other is where the camera is pointed.

There are a number of free camera control HUD's around, the one on Doomed Spaceship is very good and has the addition of letting you see poseballs (if that's your thing).  Alternately, depending on your viewer, try L-clicking and scrolling up or down to change the cam angle.  Finally, try going into Preferences and try different settings on cam angle and follow distance.

One of the major problems is that each viewer handles cam angle differently.  Try all the suggestions and don't forget those camera HUD's.  They work, although you will need to get used to a vastly different follow angle.   I prefer L shoulder, myself; that way I can see what I have in my hands.

• 3 years later...

That was an ancient post.

Let me give you an update. Since that time I've begun setting the front and side cameras as well. I have the coords for that on my blog, and also I'll post them here:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/#Camera_Setup

Rear Camera:

CameraOffsetRearView
X: -2.5
Y: -0.100
Z: -0.300

FocusOffsetRearView
X: 0.4
Y: -0.100
Z: 0.100

Front Camera:
FocusOffsetFrontView
X: 0.5
Y: 0
Z: 0.3

CameraOffsetFrontView
X: 2.1
Z: -0.2

Side Camera:
FocusOffsetGroupView
X: 0.1
Z: 0.2

CameraOffsetGroupView
X: 0.5
Y: 2.3
Z: -0.3

I hope that expanded list is useful. I like to use the front camera a lot when taking pictures, messing with outfits, of just enjoying seeing my avatar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.