Game optimized low-lag clothes?

Eddy Vortex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Duck Girl made me a low-poly mesh hoodie and sneakers for my animesh NPCs. For those, 666 triangles = 1 LI, so there's real pressure to keep the triangle count down. That was done to show it was possible. I was hoping that an SL low-poly clothing for animesh market would emerge. But it didn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

666 triangles = 1 LI

Stop saying that. 🤐

You know it's charged triangle based. So anything over the 1:2, 1:4, 1:8, Medium, Low, Lowest LOD triangle ratio gets added as well. There is sadly a lot of content with Medium and even Low LOD triangle counts matching High LOD triangle count, causing an additional 50% - 125% LI.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lucia Nightfire said:

Stop saying that. 🤐

You know it's charged triangle based. So anything over the 1:2, 1:4, 1:8, Medium, Low, Lowest LOD triangle ratio gets added as well. There is sadly a lot of content with Medium and even Low LOD triangle counts matching High LOD triangle count, causing an additional 50% - 125% LI.

OK. The actual formula is

max(high_tri_count, med_tri_count * 2, low_tri_count * 4, lowest_tri_count *  8)  / 666.66666

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

OK. The actual formula is

max(high_tri_count, med_tri_count * 2, low_tri_count * 4, lowest_tri_count *  8)  / 666.66666

No, the formula is

(high_tri_count + max(0,med_tri_count - (high_tri_count / 2)) + max(0,low_tri_count - (high_tri_count / 4)) + max(0,lowest_tri_count - (high_tri_count / 8))) / 666.66666

I fail to see how this 'argument' contributes to the larger discussion. . . That being said, Lucia wins based on the verbal description of the algorithm on the page she linked, although both formulas are missing the constant 15 li for being animesh.

Animesh objects in-world (ie, not attached to an avatar) will have a land impact that counts against the limits for the region they are in. Currently being animesh adds an additional 15 to the land impact of an object. There is an additional land impact cost of 1.5 per 1,000 charged triangles in the model. All triangles in the highest LOD are charged, but only triangles exceeding a limit are charged in the coarser LODs; there is no LI penalty for LODs as long as each does not exceed half the complexity of the next highest level - for example, if the highest LOD has 10,000 triangles, you could make LODs with no penalty up to 5,000 triangles in the medium LOD, 2,500 in the low LOD, and 1,250 in the lowest LOD. LODs that exceed those limits will be counted against the LI only for any excess above those limits.

Edited by Quistess Alpha

1 hour ago, Quistess Alpha said:

although both formulas are missing the constant 15 li for being animesh.

touché

And yes, It isn't part of the original topic, but animats' continued usage of "666 triangles = 1 LI" drives me nuts that I have to correct it on the spot here and in-world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Are there any clothing stores selling clothes with low triangle count and won't shoot your complexity numbers to the stratosphere?  I know TonkTastic does this.  Are there any others?

ARC is a flawed metric.

If you wish to reduce the performance impact if your avatar, wear fewer rigged objects (attachments can be more than one object).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.