New and looking for help...

RiverNyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I'm not new to the 3D chat world (I had an account on IMVU) but I am utterly new to SL. And the more I read, the more confused I get. Do I really need to know anything about land ownership? I have my house and I don't plan on renting it or anything like that...so do I have to understand all the land ownership stuff? And as far as the marketplace goes, I want to buy things, I'm just not sure where everything goes once I buy it. Before I spend hours doing trial and error, I was wondering if someone could throw me a rope and help me out. :D And for the adults out there...I was wondering if you could tell me some benefits of the adult community that they don't list here. Thank you in advance! *River*

Whatever you do.. don't buy anything just yet! Get to know how to retrieve your items from the inventory (Check your 'Object' folder)... knows how to set your 'Me' settings.. and Get yourself Age verified.

The best part of being an Adult in SL, is that you don't have to be an Adult!

amana wrote:

Whatever you do.. Don't buy anything just yet! Get to know how to retrieve your items from the inventory (Check your 'Object' folder)... knows how to set your 'Me' settings.. and Get yourself Age verified.

The best part of being an Adult in SL, is that you don't have to be an Adult!

Great advice and I concur.  Welcome to SL and just relax and take your time learning all that this world does and can do.  It will take some time but don't worry, it will come and around each corner, you will find more amazing things with each turn.

Not sure I agree with the don't buy anything yet but hey, I'm a merchant.

Do you mind if I ask if your avatar is male, female, non human, or other? Or have you decided yet. Only reason I ask is because it would help to steer you toward things for your avatar.

There are lots of freebies to be found in Second Life. Look for gifts or freebie boxes in a prominent place in every store you go in. Try the freebie route first, until you get acclimated and figure out what you really want. Then you won't end up with a lot of junk in your Inventory (cough, like I did.)

Start organizing your Inventory as soon as you begin buying. Open inventory and choose Create New Folder. Right click this folder in your Inventory, and choose rename, and type the name of the folder. 

You will want to sort things by general category, then more specific. You can do that in one folder or put many folders into a general category folder. You will need to create all of these folders.

See what I mean about getting complicated? So just start out with one outfit you like.

When you buy something or when you open a box it goes into your Inventory. Begin with one of everything to make your avatar look better, unless you don't care in which case, don't.

Land ownership? You don't need to. You might have a freebie house. You can get those. What you can't get in Second Life is free land. I have a place in my Picks where you can change clothes, open boxes, (just don't open huge things) and two locations you can set home in. One is on G land, one is on Moderate land. There are other groups like that in Search/Groups. Use a phrase like Set Home Here. Read the rules and fine print of any group you join or land you rent.

For now just explore and figure out what you really want. That's my main advice. Don't need to own a home or even rent one (home = land, place to set home to.) As I said above some places let you set home there for free. Otherwise you are in a hub, not everyone minds that either. 

One way to explore is to Picks Surf. Open someone's profile, pick a place in their Picks and go there. Keep doing that. You'd be surprised how many nice places you can find that way!

(By adult community do you mean XXX? I'm not sure what you meant. This is a G rated forum so that isn't something to be discussed in depth here. Ask around for landmarks to adult places or in Zindra, and explore.)

Hello RiverNyx and welcome to Second Life. We could give you unlimited url's and links but as you said already, the more you read, the most confused you get. For me the first you have to do is to understand how to play, to customize your avatar, to understand also how your inventory works. Don't be hurry to learn about houses, lands, tiers etc. You have time for all of them. At Marketplace you can find too many free stuff, useful in your first steps in SL. You can find everything you purchase or get, opening the 2nd tab of your inventory called "Recent". If you relog, you find them in the folder called "Objects" in your main inventory. You see your purchases usually as boxes. That means you need to unpack them to be able to use them. You can see how you unpack a box  here. About your last question now, to have access in adult places, you need to get Age Verification. You can find easily the page for that opening your dashboard, account and age verification. Have fun and for everything you need, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Hello there when i was new to SL I didnt have the smarts to come here so that is a good thing!! And like the other person told yea there are alot of freebies here on Sl so take your time and see what it is that you want to do before you send alot of money( like i did) getting things that you will never use, once you find your place in this world the sky is the limit!!!:matte-motes-big-grin:

Hello, RiverNyx, welcome to Second Life and Second Life forums.

If it's any consolation, for the first couple of weeks that I was in Second Life, I felt like I was drowning. You do find your way ... eventually! However, in answer to your question about land ownership, you absolutely don't need to know about owning land. You will, however, have lots of questions, about many things, some of which can be answered with videos to be found over on this link ... http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Video-Tutorials/ta-p/776295

With regard to the "adult community", if you have a curiosity about something in particular, you are probably better off searching inworld for specific groups that address adult themes. (And remember that absolutely everything and anything you can imagine is probably to be found somewhere in Second Life if you know where to look for it!)

There is also a sub-category on these forums - Lifestyles and Relationships - where some of your questions may also be answered. http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Lifestyles-and-Relationships/bd-p/lifestyles_relationships

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to my message. I have taken all your advice....kept reading articles, explored shops for freebies, and gone to a dozen different places. I still feel like I have a lot to learn but now I feel like I am on the right path. Once again, thank you. :)

You're very welcome! If you stop by any of my places in my Picks (they're mine, except Minke Bailey's furniture store, which is for Picks gifts, and because she's so nice) then say Hello.

There are some Men's hunts about to begin, if your avatar is male. Menstuff begins - well it began today, and there are various other hunts going on. There are usually blogs to go with each hunt, with locations and hints. This year the Menstuff hunt unfortunately requires group membership to get the hunt gifts.

Hunts are also a good way to explore the grid. And you get a free gift at each location. Someone compared it to geocaching, which isn't far off.

I'm repeating this a lot lately, but that's a good thing. :)

Here's my blog on getting started in Second Life:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/getting-started-in-second-life/

I hope it makes it all a little easier to understand. If I've missed something big still, let me know. Just updated it for display names and searchable interests.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.