Scammers logging in late at night via media streams and drowning out all other audio in sims.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I experienced problems last week and I see the scamming is even worse tonight.  Most of the scamming activity is being done via streams to youtube - somehow Media setting are being changed so that a bogus ad plays in an entire sim.  I don't know how long this is going on each night but it certainly is a serious problem.  I checked my old sim tonight and there was a media stream loaded to it again.  A club I checked 20 minutes ago had at least a dozen streams listed in the Media page, would no doubt have gone thru all the streams before repeating - when I left that club the Media stream was running an ad by a Japanese couple about some product they had.

If the bogus streams were easy to get rid of it would be no problem but these damn streams just seem to go and on.  The friendly Japanese couples ad kept playing after I left the sim and I had to disable my speakers, before clearing out media list.

Hopefully someone will mention problems to Lindens.

3 minutes ago, Flenser Juergens said:

Hopefully someone will mention problems to Lindens

Why not yourself. File a ticket.
I can hardly do that for you. I don't have that experience whatsoever so far.

How is it even possible for anyone besides the parcel owner to change the media stream? If the stream is still playing after you leave the parcel, then it's not the parcel, it's YOU. 

Also, I always keep media disabled unless I specifically need it for something. So I obviously would never encounter such a problem.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Flenser Juergens said:

these damn streams just seem to go and on

the most likely explanation for this is that the parcel owner(s) allows objects to be rezzed by other people.  A person (who may not be the parcel owner) is then able to rez their own media-on-a-prim players, which autoplay on your viewer because you have auto-play set to On.

the way forward for your peace of mind is to disable media autoplay in your viewer - so that a rezzed media player will only play when you Touch it

• Like 2

I am guessing that some of this media may be attached to avatars themselves - you know the sort that like to let the rest of the world hear their taste of music no matter where they are?

Disable media autoplay - not sure it can be done in the LL viewer. I disable media anyway and only switch it on if it is needed for a presentation so I get to avoid these annoyances.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.