Merchants, Could You Please Not Make Me Feel Stupid?

Rufferta Mainlander

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Admittedly, it isn't hard...

Why do I feel stupid? I paid for a gacha at Fantasy Faire and, in my haste, tried to open it. It turned out to be a voucher, and apparently opening it made it inert.

I checked the seller's display at their inworld store, and sure enough, in tiny letters it says "This Gacha uses vouchers! M/C/NT After Opening" - Ummmmmmmm - I don't really know what 'M/C/NT' * means and I suspect I'm not alone. Even if I had read the fine print I still would have been at a loss.

I also realized that I had bought an item from the same seller some time ago and made the same mistake. The seller was kind enough at that time to replace the item, but I seldom wear it because it still has bad vibes. I put it on today and it is magnificent and the creator is a genius, and it was a great value. Only, putting it on reminds me that I'm stupid....

While I'm on the subject, when merchants put out hunt objects it helps if they aren't too well hidden...I like a challenge, but if you put the hunt object inside something or attach it to a moving object the frustration this causes in the hunter may accrue to their feelings about the whole store.

While I'm ranting, I like to buy a little something at hunt stores, so it would be nice if you put out something that I could buy for 50 Lindens or less it would be appreciated.

*I understand the reasoning is that 'no-copy' item vouchers can be traded or re-sold. 

1 hour ago, Rufferta said:

I don't really know what 'M/C/NT' * means and I suspect I'm not alone.

hmm.. i wouldn't say it's stupid.. just very surprising a member of over 9 years in sl doesn't know the meaning.... it's just the standard for user rights for all objects and things in SL. Seeing such sign should ring a bell ..and bring people to read the fineprints when it's on unexpected sales/buys.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

3 hours ago, Rufferta said:

I don't really know what 'M/C/NT'

That refers to the 3 basic permissions that every object has: 
Can you modify it?
Can you make a copy of it?
Can you transfer it -- i.e. give it or sell it to someone else?

So 'M/C/NT' means it is Modifiable, you can make Copies, and it cannot be Transferred to anyone else.

BTW -- This part of your comment  "This Gacha uses vouchers! M/C/NT After Opening" means that it should be fine to open the item (it should still be usable to you), but once you do, you cannot transfer it to others.  As a Gacha, that is important because normally Gachas ARE Transferrable. 

Given that, I'm not sure how opening it "made it inert".

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

28 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That refers to the 3 basic permissions that every object has: 
Can you modify it?
Can you make a copy of it?
Can you transfer it -- i.e. give it or sell it to someone else?

So 'M/C/NT' means it is Modifiable, you can make Copies, and it cannot be Transferred to anyone else.

BTW -- This part of your comment  "This Gacha uses vouchers! M/C/NT After Opening" means that it should be fine to open the item (it should still be usable to you), but once you do, you cannot transfer it to others.  As a Gacha, that is important because normally Gachas ARE Transferrable. 

Given that, I'm not sure how opening it "made it inert".

Thank you for the explanation. I still get confused about permissions.

What I meant by "made it inert" was that what I got when I clicked on the box symbol in inventory was a folder and a Caspervend script. I tried clicking on it again and got the message "Please click BUY NOW to claim your ___________" but clicking doesn't do anything. I'm assuming that somehow I messed it up when I clicked it the first time. My account shows that I paid for the item, but I am not going to ask for a refund or complain because it was not the merchant's fault. 

Alwin wrote: " i wouldn't say it's stupid.. just very surprising a member of over 9 years in sl doesn't know the meaning.... it's just the standard for user rights for all objects and things in SL. Seeing such sign should ring a bell ..and bring people to read the fineprints when it's on unexpected sales/buys."

My special talent is being able to ignore the obvious. When programmers try to engineer things so that they are 'idiot proof', I often prove them wrong. It was fine print. 

6 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

Thank you for the explanation. I still get confused about permissions.

What I meant by "made it inert" was that what I got when I clicked on the box symbol in inventory was a folder and a Caspervend script. I tried clicking on it again and got the message "Please click BUY NOW to claim your ___________" but clicking doesn't do anything. I'm assuming that somehow I messed it up when I clicked it the first time. My account shows that I paid for the item, but I am not going to ask for a refund or complain because it was not the merchant's fault. 

Alwin wrote: " i wouldn't say it's stupid.. just very surprising a member of over 9 years in sl doesn't know the meaning.... it's just the standard for user rights for all objects and things in SL. Seeing such sign should ring a bell ..and bring people to read the fineprints when it's on unexpected sales/buys."

My special talent is being able to ignore the obvious. When programmers try to engineer things so that they are 'idiot proof', I often prove them wrong. It was fine print. 

Try right clicking and 'Add' -- if it is a voucher/gift card, then it will likely either attach to your hand or to a HUD location.  It might then give more info in Chat or on the item itself if it attaches as a HUD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Try right clicking and 'Add' -- if it is a voucher/gift card, then it will likely either attach to your hand or to a HUD location.  It might then give more info in Chat or on the item itself if it attaches as a HUD.

Yes, the 'Add' feature gave me the hud/texture and the chat that said "Please click BUY NOW....". I hardly ever wear boxes anymore :).  

Bottom line, I think, is that product labelling and unboxing needs to be more consistent. When a merchant gives you a 'box' it is really helpful if it is labelled "Add to unpack" or "click to add to inventory" or even "boxed". It is confusing when the box itself includes animations and special effects (sometimes the box is better than the product, and I have saved some special boxes to use as decor...).

End of rant.

11 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

Yes, the 'Add' feature gave me the hud/texture and the chat that said "Please click BUY NOW....". I hardly ever wear boxes anymore :).  

Bottom line, I think, is that product labelling and unboxing needs to be more consistent. When a merchant gives you a 'box' it is really helpful if it is labelled "Add to unpack" or "click to add to inventory" or even "boxed". It is confusing when the box itself includes animations and special effects (sometimes the box is better than the product, and I have saved some special boxes to use as decor...).

End of rant.

MOST, although not all, gatchas come in a box that you rez out and unpack as usual.  This makes it much easier for people to trade and sell, I imagine.  I agree with you.  Having an odd voucher instead isn't intuitive for most people purchasing from a gatcha machine.  I would probably done the same as you.

On the other hand, most creators do now use the add to open feature for their normal merchandise as then you can open it any where without needing rez rights.  Some do still use the older method, however.  It IS nice when it's marked " add to open" or "rez to open".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rufferta said:

It is quite common for gift cards & vouchers to "add as a HUD" in order to use them.  If you go to the store and add the item as HUD, you'll be able to use it with the vendors.  Usually you need to right click the vendor and select Menu - in the menu that pops up in the upper right, there should then be a 'use gift card' option or something like that.  Then you click the 'Buy Now' label on the gift card that is attached to your HUD and it should apply the gift card to the product cost.  If it covers the cost, the product will be delivered.  Otherwise, it will tell you to pay the vendor the remaining amount due.

10 hours ago, Rufferta said:

While I'm on the subject, when merchants put out hunt objects it helps if they aren't too well hidden...I like a challenge, but if you put the hunt object inside something or attach it to a moving object the frustration this causes in the hunter may accrue to their feelings about the whole store.

They do this because firestorm's area search makes it ridiculously easy to cheat at hunts, finding subtle hidden objects hasn't been a game for humans to play in a long time.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

They do this because firestorm's area search makes it ridiculously easy to cheat at hunts, finding subtle hidden objects hasn't been a game for humans to play in a long time.

You don't discourage using area search by hiding the object in ways that require area search or mass derendering to find it. I like finding things, so I appreciate a hunt where the object is hidden where it can be found by looking around.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I know how to cheat, but I much prefer to find the hunt object by reading the hint and looking around at the store and what is there. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.