Where did my object go?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I had a no-copy object created by someone else in my inventory. I was on group-owned land owned by a group of which I am a co-owner. The parcel settings allow anyone to rez objects there. The parcel is nowhere near capacity. I attempted to rez the object by dragging it from my inventory to the ground. It did not rez, and an error message was displayed saying to owner of the land didn't allow rezzing objects. The object was no longer anywhere in my inventory, nor was I able to find it inworld with area search. It apparently had disappeared. SL was not displaying any unusual behavior at the time.

What happened? How can I avoid it in the future?

1 minute ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I had a no-copy object created by someone else in my inventory. I was on group-owned land owned by a group of which I am a co-owner. The parcel settings allow anyone to rez objects there. The parcel is nowhere near capacity. I attempted to rez the object by dragging it from my inventory to the ground. It did not rez, and an error message was displayed saying to owner of the land didn't allow rezzing objects. The object was no longer anywhere in my inventory, nor was I able to find it inworld with area search. It apparently had disappeared. SL was not displaying any unusual behavior at the time.

mostly it will show up in the inventory after a relog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trying to rez objects on a mesh floor will often throw that message, with apparent disappearance of the object. If your luck is in, as said above, the object might well re-appear in inventory sometime later. Alternatively, it did rez, but somewhere you can't see it! Area search in Firestorm is really useful to help find it, if so.

I avoid No Copy items like the plague, whenever possible.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, Jennifer Boyle said:

If you REMEMBER --- and I rarely seem to --- you can rez a PRIM first before dragging out any no copy items. Then rez on the prim.    If it was ACTUAL Linden land without any flora, grass, road etc then you are usually "safe".   BUT I have been in some events where you couldn't rez on what appeared to be actual bare land. I didn't lose anything there as of course I was rezzing my things to sell.  

If you lose something you sometimes (in my experience with this type of REZZING inventory loss it seems to be about half the time).  It sometimes comes back the next time you log in and something a few days later. No clue at all about the mysterious database.   

Other than the rezzing on a prim outside in the open air --- there isn't much else you can do.  Oh, if it is a single object and the database IS (or has been) acting wonky you can try WEARING the item (yep even if it is  a house) to make sure that the database can FIND the item (again not really important with copy items).  

One reason I am a copy item kind of gal. :D.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.